France for 15 nights- need an itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are so lucky to be travelling to France late April early May 2020. We are an acitve couple in our mid 60s.

i have been doing lots of reading but I am struggling with an itinerary.

We have been to Paris several times, twice to Provence-which we loved, spent a week in Dordogne, a week in Loire and a week in Burgundy. Needless to say I really like France!

We are flying in and out of Lyon and will have a rental car, I would like to stay 3 nights in 5 different towns and have a combination of cultural and natural experiences. We enjoy walking, wandering around villages and spectacular scenery. We enjoy staying in moderately priced guest houses located in pretty settings with a restaurant and parking availability.

I would probably head south initially for warm weather and then head west and north to loop back around and finish up in Lyon. Some areas I am interested in are Brittany, Carcassone, Normandy, Alps-not planning to go to Paris.

I am kind of all over the place and need some help to get focused.
Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Bayeux and Dinan could cover 2 of your places and help take care of Brittany and Normandy. Here is our trip report from last fall. Brittany/Normandy/D-Day 4 nights. October

St. Cirq who lives and knows France recently suggested Dinard as a little livelier place than Dinan as another option.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 12:12 PM

The Alps might be snowed at the higher passes in late April. As an alternative, consider the Pyrenees which are farther south. The eastern Pyrenees (use Prades as a point of reference) have a more Mediterranean climate, the highest Pyrenees are south of Lourdes and Pau, and Basque country covers the western part of the mountain range.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjqcM8HD
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvsgfDP
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Whitehall thank you for the trip report on Brittany and Normandy it really helped with planning for that area and I think we will spend 5 days in that area.

Michael you make a good point about the Alps and snow- a few years ago we were in the Dolomites in April and some roads were impassable. The pics are beautiful-any recomendations on accomodations?

Old Jul 1st, 2019, 06:11 AM

We really like the Pyrenées at that time of year, not the high peaks, but the middle ground. We're fond of spa towns with natural springs and easy hikes. Last time we did this we rented an apartment in Amélie-les-Bains for a week and toured all around on the Bus à Un Euro (yes, it costs only one euro and you can travel hundreds of kilometers on it). From Amélie we took the bus to the coast, staying in Collioure for a couple of nights before taking the train up to Narbonne, and then Carcassonne, and then home. It was one of our most interesting trips ever, and the costs were minimal.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by firstlake
Whitehall thank you for the trip report on Brittany and Normandy it really helped with planning for that area and I think we will spend 5 days in that area.

Michael you make a good point about the Alps and snow- a few years ago we were in the Dolomites in April and some roads were impassable. The pics are beautiful-any recomendations on accomodations?
Argelès-Gazost is a good base in the valley and Cauterets would make a good base farther into the mountains.* We stay with friends so I can;t help with specific accommodations.,