France, Food and Festivals

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Smart Travels" with Rudy Maxa appears on my local PBS. I watched last night. I got from that show, that one MIGHT consider seeking out local festivals, plus or instead of museums, churches, etc. So, bored this afternoon, I go forth and thus! Fromage.com lists cheese festivals. YUM. (I can only imagine my pleasure at Sancerre wines matched with their Cheeses...bliss) GoFrance.com listed all kinds of festivals all summer long in all sorts of places! Good stuff if you're going this season. AND gofrance also has a "section" called French Feast with SUPPLIERS!!! Oh my, my AMEX card is now, well, shall I say fois groised!

Enough about me.. have any of you ever made the effort to attend a particular "festival"?
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:02 PM

We go to a lot of festivals in France. We went to the Incroyable Piquenique in 2000 (BIG mistake), and in the Dordogne we often go to the félibré and other local Occitan music and other festivals. We happened upon a crottin festival in the Loire Valley once and a farm animal festival in Brittany. If we come across any sort of festival while traveling, we make a point to stop.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM

I happened to be in Aix for the opera/music festival a few years ago and had a great time. I dream of returning every year. Here is the link for this season's calendar of performances:
http://www.festival-aix.com/opera/
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:00 PM

We were staying with our friends in Provence a few years ago, and they took us to a gourmet food festival organized by the chef of a 2* restaurant. We tasted cheeses, olives, wines, jams, and other yummy things and saw very fancy chickens and a petting zoo with baby animals. It was just a village affair, but the people displaying their wares were from all over the region.

In December 2001 we were in the same area and went to a santon fair; they're held in quite a few towns in Provence during the Christmas seas, and ours was in Mouan-Sartoux. That gave us the chance to see santons made by quite a number of artisans and to see just why the ones made by the masters were so good.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
"SuzieC, I have been to many but let me share with you, a wonderful book given to me while recovering from minor surgery.
Marolyn Charpentir's "La France Gourmande, A Food Lover's Guide to French Fairs and Festivals,
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:57 AM

Hi

Some links to attractions around Languedoc :

http://tlp.netfirms.com/tour10.htm
http://tlp.netfirms.com/fetevotive.htm
http://tlp.netfirms.com/markets1.htm
http://www.ffcc.info/calendrier.php3

Peter
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to make it a point to investigate something like this...it is then all about the "people"... and the "now" of lives
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:53 AM

Often you'll see notices near the local tourist offices (and town halls, too) about events that are scheduled. That's an excellent source for current information.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

What I think would work for me though, is to know a bit in advance so that I could make all the arrangements (air, hotels, transportation, etc.)
Well there's just no answer for it.
I just have to move over there for a while!* ...that's all there is to it

*inspired by my latest "France" mag that shows real estate for sale in France
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:20 PM

SuzieC:

You can check out www.whatsonwhen.com for advance info - as well as the websites of the towns/cities you know you're going to be in.

Moving there is ALWAYS a good option
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Hi SuzieC, we've decided to extend our two weeks in the Loire Valley by a few days to take in Berry, specifically Bourges and the Sancerre cheese/wine loop...any favorite vineyard recommendations?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Message to StCirq; where does one begin if you'd seriously love to move to France? We buy the magazines but they are all British-based; do you know of one for N Americans? Or did you go to realty offices in the areas that interested you? What do you do with your property when you're not there? How much time do you spend at your property?