France Car Rental Drop/Pickup Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time we rented a car, my husband was driving & I was navigating. This time I will be driving & my mom who has never been to France will be in the passenger seat. We'll spend the first 4 nights in Paris before going to the Loire Valley & then on to the Alps. We will be staying in the 9th in Paris. Where do you suggest I pick up the rental car before leaving town? AutoEurope has locations in town, at the airport & at a few train stations (Gare de Lyon, etc.). Which would be easiest? Also, has anyone ever dropped the car off in a destination other than the place they originally told the rental agency at time of rental (i.e. we tell the agency the drop-off will be Lyon but then decide while we are travelling that we want to explore farther south before returning to Paris via train)? Of course we would not do this without calling the rental agency before doing so. Thanks for any advice.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Debl, what kind of navigator will your mother be? Renting a car out of Orly which is where we rented when we went to the Loire is not a difficult location to get out of Paris. The directional signs always seem easier taking you out of Paris rather than into I would be concerned about making a change in a rental contract especially drop off location because wouldn't that in effect negate the contract and your rate would probably be much higher. Contact AutoEurope and give them your "what if" scenario. Have a great trip with your mother. Deborah
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:12 AM

topping for debl
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Hi Debl:

We just rented in Paris through AutoEurope and picked up at the Face 8 Ave Foch EuropCar address, which is over by the Arc de Triomphe. It was especially easy for us as our metro stop was on the 1 line and we just took that to the Etoile stop (Arc stop) and followed the car rental signs. Please note, if you do this it is a bit of a hike in the metro tunnels and you do have to go up and down some stairs with luggage. You can get right to the car rental without going up to the street by going into the door marked bar - billiards. Go past the bar and go down a short hallway - the unmarked door there takes you to the underground parking where Europcar is. We left on a Sat early am and the street were fairly quiet. We zipped straight out of town from there. It was pretty easy.

We returned to the airport, that was kind of a mess, but part of it was our fault for a wrong turn that ended us in the freight terminals!
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:53 AM

We've left 2 rentals at places other than where we had planned. We notified Avis and there were no extra charges. This was in the UK however so there was no language barrier!

I'd check with Autoeurope before you go and check again at the service desk when you pick up the car in France.
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:52 AM

I would pick up the car either at the Porte Maillot or the Gare Montparnasse and go to the Loire valley via Chartres.
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM

If you're going to pick up in Paris, I'd agree with Michael. IMO you want the least amount of driving in Paris, especially if it's a weekday when traffic will be heavy. The peripherique is pretty much like any urban highway in the US - with the addition of many motorcycle drivers using the space between lanes to move forward, essentially creating additional lanes of traffic!

DeborahAnn's idea is also good because you have the easy pickup at the airport; Orly is generally in the direction you want to go; and you don't have to contend with Paris streets. (I don't think driving in Paris is particularly difficult, but it depends on your comfort level.)

A few years ago I rented a car from AutoEurope to drive to the Loire. Since BF and I wanted to see Chartres, I thought to pick the car up there. This ended up being the least successful of my AutoEurope car rentals, and I think it was due to the fact that the agency was very small there. In fact, it wasn't located in the centre-ville at all, and we had to take a taxi to reach it. Of course being typical Americans, we required an automatic - if you drive standard, you have much more selection! (I wrote a detailed description of our problems in a reply to the post "France Itinerary Help Please" earlier this week if you feel like reading more about my woes-!)
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Orly is also a fairly cheap cab ride from Paris--about 20€
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:55 AM

I agree that Orly is probably the best bet - easy to get to, and reasonably easy to get away from. A number of guests renting our houses have changed drop off location with various agencies, and have not had to pay extra. So normaly this shouldnt be an issue.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Carlux, from your guests' experience can you tell me whether they changed the drop off location when they picked up the car or did they notify the company a day or two before the pickup. I am curious because I am having second thoughts about a drop off location in France in August. Thanks, Deborah
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Have you considered taking the TGV to Tours & picking up the car there?

There is normally an airpor sur-charge for picking up the car at the airport.

Stu Dudley
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Stu, that would make sense unless they want to see the Cathedral in Chartres. Debl said they wanted to pick up the car before leaving Paris. To me anyplace outside of Paris peripherique has to be easier than inside. Are there rental car locations at the Tours train station? I'd hate to have Debl get into the kind of situation ggreen encountered in Chartres. I've only driven through and around Tours by car not train. Deborah
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM

There are rental agencies at the Tours train station. That's where we dropped off the car we picked up in Chartres!

I can't speak to ease of use with picking up there, but it was quite easy to drop off; we then spent the night in a hotel across from the station, ate a good dinner, and TGV'ed it to CDG in the morning...
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Your notes about the possibility of changing the destination point have left me hopeful. I will ask when I make my reservation.
Deborah Ann: Mom probably won't be a great navigator but I can plan ahead & have maps close at hand.
Stu Dudley: For some reason I am not able to make a reservation in Tours. The note that comes up says there may be 1 of 2 reasons -- no cars available on that day or no cars of the size I am requesting. Hmmm.
I have gotten a price of $292.89 (US) no matter where the pickup location -- Orly, Chartres, Paris City Office or Gare Montparnasse. In all cases, I am using Lyon as the destination. How does this rate sound for 11 days (5/30-6/9)?Given this info, should I just pick up at Gare Montparnasse?
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Debl, that seems a very good price compared to what we are paying for 8 day rental in France in August. Are you booking through Autoeurope? Are you taking full insurance with rental company or using your credit card. So many things to consider with a car rental Deborah
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I just rented from AutoEurope and picked up at Gare Montparnasse. Be aware that there is a pickup fee of almost 37 euro for picking up at the train station similar to picking up at the airport. I am disputing this with them since there was no disclosure beforehand when the reservation was made, only found out when I went to pick up the car. There was no drop charge when I returned at Nice airport 9 days later.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Actually, the TGV does not do to Tours - it goes to a suburb called St Pierre des Corps. There is a rental office there.

I've rented well over 30 cars from AutoEurope over the last 20 years. I never rent via their web site - I always call. Do that, and I bet they will have cars available. St Pierre is a major destination - there should be plenty of cars.

Stu Dudley
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:35 PM

That's right, we took a short train to the TGV station. I'd forgotten that piece! Thanks, Stu.

I now always rent via the phone with AutoEurope, after having such poor information on their website. They're very helpful when I speak to a person, but the website can leave out little details, like saying "Chartres" instead of the village where the agency is actually located(!),
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Debl: People staying with us changed their drop off point a day or two before leaving - that is, long after their initial booking. Mainly this was after I suggested that they that they take the train back to Paris rather than drive all the way back. If you're in the Perigord, it takes longer to drive into Paris than to take the train from Brive, and the rental agencies are all just outside the station. Probably true in many other locations as well.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Next question: based on info below,I have now decided to rent the car in Paris to travel to the Loire Valley. If we are staying in the 9th, do I pick up the car at Gare de Nord (which is closer to our lodging), Gare Montparnasse (which is in the direction of roads to the Loire Valley), Porte d'Orleans or another location in Paris that I might not be aware of?

I just got off the phone with AutoEurope. It is the same price to pick up the car in Paris as it is to pick it up in the Loire Valley. Any location in Paris will be the same fee, except the airport which $30 more (or possibly 30 euros, I can't recall). The woman who helped me told me that the computer rental rates will always be lower than the quotes over the phone but if I call her back she will give me the computer rates. Also, the car can be dropped off at a location other than the one I originally decide as long as the new location is not a tiny village & that I call the original destination (phone number will be on the confirmation I receive by e-mail or fax) to let them know in advance. After determining that the TGV would be 60 euros ($72) for 2 of us, I think I may attempt to drive from Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -