Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France - Bank Holiday in May (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-bank-holiday-in-may-769879/)

ILUVPARIS Feb 27th, 2009 05:38 AM

France - Bank Holiday in May

My husband and I will be traveling from Paris to Provence for a few nights over the weekend of May 1-3. I just realized that this is a bank holiday weekend. I know the banks will be closed but, I wanted to check & see if other businesses would be affected as well? The purpose of this trip is antiquing in the Isle Sur La Sorgue area. Can anyone tell me if shops are typically closed over this weekend? In the U.S., retail would definitely be open over a holiday weekend but, I have my doubts as to whether Europe would be the same.

Thanks!

Sarastro Feb 27th, 2009 05:54 AM

May 1st is Labor Day in France, a significant national holiday. Public transportation should be running but expect business closures. My guess is that the markets at Isle sur la Sorgue will be open, particularly over the weekend.

Since the fall of the strong dollar, business has been calmer here so perhaps many merchants will open in hopes that the holiday will draw customers.

gracejoan3 Feb 27th, 2009 05:57 AM

I think I would contact the tourist office in Isle sur la Sorgue..if anyone knows, it should be them!!

Joan

ILUVPARIS Feb 27th, 2009 06:14 AM

Joan, I already did but, they don't speak English. In my broken French I think she thought I wanted to know if the antiques market was taking place that weekend. She didn't realize I was trying to find out if regular shops are open. I'm just trying to come up with a backup plan if I find that most things are closed. We'll probably go somewhere other than Provence for a few days.

gracejoan3 Feb 27th, 2009 06:48 AM

That was not very helpful for you, was it!

Why not try e-mailing a nice hotel in the area and ask them about places being open at that time, so you can do your planning. I think you might receive what you need. Hope it works!

Joan

ILUVPARIS Feb 27th, 2009 07:09 AM

Maybe I should rephrase my question. The holiday is on May 1, which is a Friday. So, would that mean that if stores are going to be closed, they'd be closed on Friday only? Any idea?

gracejoan3 Feb 27th, 2009 07:19 AM

As you know, they often will take the long weekend if on a Thursday or a Friday. I do think the best bet is to contact a nice hotel. They should know.

Joan

ILUVPARIS Feb 27th, 2009 07:28 AM

All set. I figured I'd post this information in case it helps someone else here!

I just spoke to someone at the French Tourist Office (514/288-1904). I was told pretty much everything is closed on May 1 no matter where you are in France. Everything should be business as usual the following day.

gracejoan3 Feb 27th, 2009 07:40 AM

Glad you found someone who could give you the correct information and in a laguage that you could fully understand!!

Joan