Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   france and italy party tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-and-italy-party-tips-900888/)

nglover15 Jul 30th, 2011 03:41 PM

france and italy party tips

how would a guy go a bout attending a fancy party in France or Italy or somewhere in the Mediterranean? Say for instance a yacht party of dinner party. what to wear how to behave
pics?
stories?

Underhill Jul 30th, 2011 03:53 PM

I expect you would need an invitation from the host.

nytraveler Jul 30th, 2011 04:34 PM

If you mean how to get an invitation - if you don;t know how - and who is giving theparty - you won;t get one. Unless you rent the yacht and give hte party yourself.

And if you don;t know what to wear and how to behave - well I don;t know where to begin. (Perhaps you could start by cadging an invitation to the closest thing you have in your home town - an exclusive counry club dinner dance? - or some sort of opening night at a local museum? There are often charity events that are quite formal that require only a donation to attend - youcould start practicing there. I often have to do these for work. The typical contribution is $10,000 for a table for 10- $1000 per person for an indivudal ticket. If that sounds like a lot of money - you would not be happy/comfortbleat the yacht parties you are talking about.)

charnees Jul 30th, 2011 05:51 PM

I read your earlier question on what perfume to wear to hook up with fancy women, which has since been removed, you will note. This one is just as weird.

Are you reading too many glossy magazine ads or something? These questions tell us you do not have a clue.

joannyc Jul 30th, 2011 06:00 PM

LOL!

Start by wearing that fancy perfume that women love so much! I'm sure you'll find lots of 'fancy' women willing to take you to a yacht or dinner party!

Go home to mama and ask her to teach you the facts of life.

farrermog Jul 30th, 2011 06:46 PM

For those who move in a more regular orbit, John Baxter's recently published <i>Cooking for Claudine</i> has useful tips for those invited to a French Christmas dinner which might also apply to other dining occasions.

tower Jul 30th, 2011 08:29 PM

...this kid sounds more like "frat party" than "yacht party".
ngLover...ng=not good lover! Go back to being a <b>twitter critter</b>, pal. This place is for serious travelers. Others need not apply.

charnees Jul 31st, 2011 07:51 AM

It occurred to me there is one thing he could do: make friends with Silvio Berlusconi, who is the wealthy , juvenile, prostitute-hiring President of Italy. Just about his speed, I think.

StCirq Jul 31st, 2011 08:21 AM

Bring along one of the Kardashian girls or that media whore on the Housewives of DC show who's so good at gate crashing.

Or sport a legit coat of arms and make sure your French or Italian is flawless. That should take you long enough that you'll outgrow this puerile fantasy.

clausar Jul 31st, 2011 08:50 AM

Are the bunga bunga parties still going on ?
Might be an option for the OP

charnees Jul 31st, 2011 11:35 AM

OP: puerile = "refers (usually with marked disapproval) to occurrences of childishness where adult maturity would be expected or preferred." (Merriam-Webster)

denisea Jul 31st, 2011 12:12 PM

farrermog...is your Baxter book published outside of the US...am reading it now (I think), but it is called A Paris Christmas; Immovable Feast...I love it so far! I doubt the OP would have read it!

farrermog Jul 31st, 2011 03:57 PM

denise - yours is presumably the Harper Collins US edition, published 2010. Mine, bought here in Australia, was published this year in the UK by Short Books as <i>Cooking for Claudine; How I Cooked My Way to the Heart of a Formidable French Family</i>.

I've also enjoyed his <i>We'll Always Have Paris</i> and <i>A Pound of Paper; Confessions of a Book Addict</i> which "describes how a boy from the [Australian] bush came to be living in a Paris penthouse with a library worth millions". Perhaps the OP can take something from that.