Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > France and Italy in June 2012 - Itinerary Help
Notices

France and Italy in June 2012 - Itinerary Help

Jan 4th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

France and Italy in June 2012 - Itinerary Help

My family of 5 is planning a 3 week trip to visit France and Italy in June this year. We have 3 teenage girls, the twins (20) and DD (13). It will be the children's first trip to Europe while my DH and I have done a whirlwind Europe tour more than 10 years ago.

I am still reading all the forum threads relating to these 2 countries and trying to work out a decent itinerary of places we should not miss. Would appreciate any input/thoughts forummers may have. I am thinking of open jaw tickets either starting with Rome and departing from Paris or vice versa depending on which option is cheaper. We will be flying from Singapore.
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM

teenage at 20...
anyway you need to give us a bit more to go on. The best ideas are if we basically know
1) how much you want to spend
2) any dietry/people stuff we need to know
3) interests and fitness

looking at your details you are based in US and like food.

For starters why not look at a fast bit of the holiday (say Paris/Versailles/Champagne for 5 days. then a slow bit (say a walking trip in the French Jura for 3 days, then Pisa/Lucca/Florence/Sienna for 5 days and wander around Rome for the rest (better hotel with air con and a pool advisable
Jan 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Well, for better weather you could start in the south. Fly into Rome and out of Paris.

Why don't you enlist the kids in the planning? Get them some books and videos. Maybe let each one pick out a special place, a personal must-see. With them involved, they'll be more excited and enthusiastic about the trip.

I don't agree with bilbo about the Rome hotel. I much prefer staying in the historic center of Rome and doing lots of walking -- stumbling onto the odd Roman ruin or interesting shop. Any hotel with a pool will be outside the center of Rome. When you're centrally located, you can split up and meet back easily.

An apartment would be nice, especially in Paris and/or Rome. More space. On the other hand, 2 hotel rooms will mean 2 bathrooms, better with 3 girls.

And how do you plan to get around? Trains? And/or planes? Will you do any driving?
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Mimar - Yes! The children are helping with planning as well. We won't be driving in the cities but may have to if we want to visit the country side. Hope to travel by train most of the time if possible. I think an apartment is a good idea especially if we are staying more than 3 nights in any city. Should be cheaper compared to 2 hotel rooms?

Bilbo - Yes. A friend suggested France first and then a more relaxed pace in Italy. No, we are not based in the US.

Search this Thread