Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   France Amsterdam, Italy... decisions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/france-amsterdam-italy-decisions-900174/)

4explore Jul 25th, 2011 07:04 AM

France Amsterdam, Italy... decisions

First time to France. DH has meeting in Paris in early Oct for 2 days. We have friends in Amsterdam, and family heritage in Nans-les-Pins, southern France and Genoa, Italy about 3 hours from that. I only have 12 days. What are the must sees? Thinking of doing a few days in Paris, heading south to meet extended family and see the Must do's on the coast. Over to Genoa. Fly to Amsterdam, home.
Looking for Ideas, just starting my plans, no books even yet!

annhig Jul 25th, 2011 07:14 AM

could you start your trip early?

it would make sense to fly into amsterdam and see your friends, then get the train to Paris, and finally head south - again the train, home from Genoa or Milan.

PalenQ Jul 25th, 2011 07:20 AM

You can get cheap online train tickets from www.voyages-sncf.com - French Railways official site but you must book early as the cheaper tickets are sold in limited numbers - you lock yourself into a certain train but savings can be hefty. Take train to southern France (Marseille is near Nans-les-Pins) then train to Genoa. for lots of good stuff on European trains check out these fantastic IMO sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Nice and the French Riviera would IMO make a natural few-day stop and in October both the weather is nice and the summer crowds are just a memory - so much to see and do in Nice and environs - old hill towns, museums, sweet towns like Antibes, St-Paul-de-Vence, Vence, Grasse, etc.

Q - where is Nans-les-Pins

PalenQ Jul 25th, 2011 07:30 AM

Oops - forgot to erase 'where is Nans-les-Pins' after I looked it up in my Michelin France atlas!

PalenQ Jul 25th, 2011 11:24 AM

annhig makes a great suggestion - fly into Amsterdam and then take the high-speed Thalys train to Paris in just about the same time as you could fly figuring in getting to and from airports, etc and trains are always IMO more comfy than flying if not flying first class!

TravelingWidow Aug 6th, 2011 10:25 PM

i agree with PalenQ. I have been on the high speed train from Amsterdam to Paris several times. It is alot of fun.

zeppole Aug 7th, 2011 01:50 AM

I believe there is still a regular, inexpensive Transavia flight to Pisa from Amsterdam, and they might also fly to Milan.

So you might check out flying into Paris, taking the high speed train to Amsterdam and then flying to Italy.

If you end up making Paris your middle stop, Air France has daily flights to Genova, but it is pricey. However, for such a short trip, I wouldn't want to lose so much time on a train from Paris into italy.

From Genova, you can fly to the US via Rome quite conveniently, but it is best if you don't have luggage to check.

zeppole Aug 7th, 2011 01:55 AM

I'm sorry to tack on another post, but I just read all the way through PalenQs suggestion you go all the way through France by train, and then take the coastal train to Genova. That is a hugely long, mostly annoying trip (especially when you get on the Italian side), and if you have rainy weather -- which you easily could in October -- it is simply dreary. I enjoy train travel a lot, but I also think you will be really cutting into the time you will need to dig into Genova to hook up with your family experience. Your trip is already pretty short for all you want to accomplish, and unless you'd rather meander through France than actually explore your family heritage in Genova, I suggest you find the most efficient way of getting to Italy (or just skip going to Genoa, which would be a pity, I think.)

PalenQ Aug 7th, 2011 11:11 AM

zeppole - did you note that OP has relatives near Marseilles? Thus they take a few-hour train trip there and perhaps stop by French Riviera but even if not they have to break it up so it is not necessarily a long dreay train trip - though if just wishing to go Marseilles to Genoa yes see if they can get a cheap flight - but to stop in Nice during October for a day or two would be IMO so sweet - crowds have gone and weather is fine - and Nice to Genoa, in spite of border flap, is not a long train journey maybe 4 hours or so?

PalenQ Aug 7th, 2011 11:11 AM

zeppole - did you note that OP has relatives near Marseilles? Thus they take a few-hour train trip there and perhaps stop by French Riviera but even if not they have to break it up so it is not necessarily a long dreay train trip - though if just wishing to go Marseilles to Genoa yes see if they can get a cheap flight - but to stop in Nice during October for a day or two would be IMO so sweet - crowds have gone and weather is fine - and Nice to Genoa, in spite of border flap, is not a long train journey maybe 4 hours or so?