One Aeolian Island

Search

One Aeolian Island

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Aeolian Island

We have time to visit one island for 3 nights. Which one and why? Can we also visit another as a day trip?
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 05:49 PM

Yes you can certainly visit another island as a day trip, either on your own or as part of a boat tour. There are many companies who do boat tours and many choices of itineraries.

Which island you stay on depends perhaps on your interests. Some people want to climb Stromboli, some want to visit the mud baths on Vulcano. Some want a good base for day trips and lots of restaurant options - Lipari.

I stayed on Lipari for 5 nights. I did a boat tour to Panarea and Stromboli what was a 12 hour affair. Left Marina Piccola at noon and returned at midnight.

I was signed up for another one that went around Lipari and Vulcano, but cancelled since the first tour to Stromboli did not go as advertised.

Lipari has a couple of beautiful churches, an excellent museum, some great beaches and hiking, and a charming and beautiful town with lots of restaurants. Lots of tour and boat options since this is the main island as far as population and would make a good base for that reason.

So, what are you interested in? Why did you choose the Aeolians?
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 09:32 PM
kja

Dayle has given you a great summary. And asked the key question: Why do you want time in the Aeolians?
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. We're spending time in Sicily the first two plus weeks in September, and heard the islands were worth a side trip. Since we have the time to add one on, we thought, why not?
We love nature, good food, shopping (me!) and just being in the local setting.
Sromboli looks fascinating.Maybe staying on Lipari with a day trip to Stromboli would do the trick.
Question for Dayle- was your Stromboli thing supposed to be 12 hours? Did you like it?

what do you think of our itinerary?
Arrive Palermo- travel to Trapani region- 2 nights
Agrigento- 2 nights
Piazza Amerina region- 2 nights
Drive to Syracusa, Ragusa, Modica and Noto area-3 nights
Mt. Etna area- 3 nights (includes taormina)
Ferry from Milazzo to island (3 nights)
Palermo (3 nights)

The reason we put Palermo on the end is because the flight home leave somewhat early, so this way, we have the shortest trip to the airport and don't have to wake up in the middle of the night.
I REALLY appreciate your input.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 04:17 PM

Sarabeth,

Because you are going counterclockwise and want to include the Aeolian islands, you might like to read my TR from 2013. I had a lot more time than what you are planning, but it might give you some ideas of what is possible and how you would like to time your own trip.

It all depends on what you hope to see. Personally, I would not spend 3 days I. Taormina unless it was planning day trips out from there.

Also, most people tend to stay just 1 night in Piazza Armerina and Agrigento too of they are OK with a couple of 1 nighters in order to maximize their sightseeing.

My Stromboli and Panarea boat tour is described in detail in my TR. Just like nearly everything else!

Anyway,just click on my name or scroll down. Another Fodorite who is planning Sicily now just topped it yesterday.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 06:11 PM
kja

Sounds like a very nice trip!

You might consider adding a night each to Palermo (which offers a wealth of sites) and Ortygia (particularly if you plan to try to visit more than 1 or 2 of the Baroque towns). Your call! If you do, you might consider taking those nights from the Mt. Etna / Taormina area and / or from Agrigento (as one night is sufficient to see the ruins there, as long as you give the ruins the better part of a day). Just some thoughts.