Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome subway to Parco Appia Antica will it get me near catacombs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have been told that one can get to catacombs in Rome by taking a series of busses from the city center. However there is this Metro stop called Parco Appia Antica that seems to stop near the Appian Way and the park that is there. However I am not sure if it is a long walk from that stop through the park to the catacombs. Is anyone familiar with this? I want to get to the catacombs and back from the catacombs in the easiest way on a Sunday.
What would you suggest? We would like to stroll along the Appian Way (yes the old original one) and also visit a catacomb. The Archeobus has not gotten rave reviews IMO and we don't want to on and off, just get us to and from the catacombs!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
moo
Original Poster

Just to be clear, the metro stop is fully named Colli Albani-Parco Appia Antica. Moo
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've never taken that subway out -- and I've never heard it recommended, either. The better parts of the Appia Antica for walking are after the catacombs. I usually take the 118 (for St Sebastian) or 218 bus (for St Callixtus) from St John Lateran. Be sure to check opening hours -- I think St Sebastian is closed Sunday. After touring one of the catacombs, you could walk further along to see the tombs and monuments, then catch the 118 back. Pretty scenic area for a picnic if you've brought provisions, or there are a couple of restaurants along the Appia Antica near the catacombs.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM

That metro stop is on via Appia Nuova, all the way to the other side of the park from the via Appia Antica where the catacombs are. . . looks like along walk.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM

http://tinyurl.com/j9w3d These directions will help.
Stop in a bookstore and look at a large fold-out map of Rome, the bus in my directions drops you on the Via Appia Antica ~350m south of the Tomb of Cecila Metella.
The street in my directions you arrive on is V. C. Metella and the 'T' in the road is the Via Appia Antica.
You go right to the catacombs but look at the map if you go left, (I haven't done it) but notice all the funeral monuments after the 1st mile and around the 2nd mile there is the Villa of Quintili.
Off the top of my head I recall Emperor Commodus (bad guy in Gladiator) killed the 2 brothers that owned it so he could inherit their property and money.
Also Commodus practiced his Gladiator fighting somewhere in or just outside the Villa.
Regards, Walter
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM

The easist way to get there is to alight from the Metro at Piramide and take the number 118 bus. The route is shown at the bus stand at the station.
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM

An even easier way is to take the Archeobus from Piazza Cinquecento (in front of Termini)which will drop you at a number of the archaeological sites, including the various Catacombs. The are little decorated busses, easy to spot.

The bus is not included in the usual BIG public transport day pass, and costs around Euro14 from memory. The public busses can be spasmodic (esp the 118) and the Metro will be a double schlep with trains and busses. Walking between the Catacombs is a good recommendation, so once you get to your first choice, take the advice above and walk to the next one and catch the Archeobus back to the city again.