Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > France -2 weeks Itinerary critique
Notices

France -2 weeks Itinerary critique

Aug 28th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

France -2 weeks Itinerary critique

My husband and I have 2 weeks in France in late May/ early June next year. We will end up in Lyon for the wedding of our exchange student (a few years back). The wedding is in Lyon and the reception at a chateau about 50km north of Lyon. We fly out the day after the wedding from Lyon.
We will be flying into Marseilles on a Sunday afternoon (about 4pm) from Portugal (13 days prior to the wedding). We plan to spend some time in Provence and then visit Lake Annecy before ending up in Lyon for the wedding. At present we are thinking about 5 - 6 nights in an apartment in L'Isle sur la Sorgue and then an 5 nights in an apartment in Annecy. Lastly 3 nights (apartment?) in Lyon.
A few questions.
(1) Would it be feasible to head from Marseille straight to L'Isle sur la Sorgue given the timing of our flight? We are concerned the flight may be late, and we still have to collect a hire car. Perhaps we should stay near Marseilles for the night and head north more slowly on the Monday morning. Any thoughts on this? Suggestions of where to stay?
(2) Would a split of 5 nights in each seem reasonable, or should we perhaps make it 6 nights Provence and 4 in Annecy. (We love great countryside, cute villages, magnificent mountains etc.) Any comments?
(3) We obviously have to end up in Lyon for the wedding. I spent 2 weeks there a couple of years ago with my daughters but without hubby and look forward to showing him some of the sights of Lyon. We are tossing up whether to stay in Lyon for 3 nights, or to cut that to 2 nights and spend the last night close to the wedding reception (which I am leaning towards). Thoughts?
(4) We will obviously have a car for most of the time, and will need one to get to the reception, but are thinking that having a car for the couple of days we are in Lyon may be a nuisance. City driving! Parking etc. As we see it, we either try to get accommodation with parking, or we return the car before entering Lyon, and then need to hire another for the wedding. Is there a more simple solution we are missing?

I look forward to hearing from those who have enjoyed these areas in the past.
Aug 28th, 2015, 03:59 AM

1) need more info
2) depends a bit on your landlords, some may not take 4 day rentals, but for me 6 and 4
3) depends on where reception is
4) dump the car, you could do a fair bit of this trip without a car, there are trains and buses and taxis and bikes and feet. Enjoy the options, you have time enough to plan, May is waaaaaay away.
Aug 28th, 2015, 05:00 AM

What Bilbo said.

It is less than an hour's drive from the airport to your first destination, and you are unlikely have much inbound traffic on Sunday evening. There is no issue with picking up a car, but you should be prepared to pay tolls with a chip and pin card or lots of change.

If the chateaux which is the location of the reception has rooms available, there is no better place to stay than there. French drink driving laws have recently been tightened up and enforcement is very strict. It would be best if no one has to be a designated driver at the reception.
Aug 28th, 2015, 06:49 AM

For such a trip I'd keep the car.
Marseille, Lyon, Annecy : not that far away with a car + max freedom.

I would definitely stay near the wedding for the last night.

Search this Thread