Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

four weeks in Italy rental Central Italy or North and South

Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

My family is planning a four week stay in Italy. we would like to rent a villa but not sure where. should we stay in one place say the Naples area the whole time or divide two weeks in Naples and two weeks in the north. Thank you in advance. Carolyn
Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:30 AM
ekc

I would divide your time. Splitting between the Naples area and a town in the North will give you a good diverse experience.
Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:41 AM

It would help to know who/how many you are - and what you are interested in.

How to know where to go if we don;t know what you are going for?

And are you a senior couple of a family with a lot of small children or ????
Jan 23rd, 2014, 10:39 AM

When do you plan to do this trip? The best places book up a year or more ahead of time. Renting a villa pretty much implies renting a car or two also. Depending on how many of you there are and how many drivers, it's better to rent multiple cars then one big people-mover.

Personally I like to rent on the edge of a nice town, with a selection of restaurants. Then you can walk to dinner and back, not have to drive back in the dark. And the drivers should eschew wine with dinner if they're going to drive afterwards. Italy has very strict drunk-driving laws.

So why did you zero in on the Naples area?
Jan 29th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. Total number of people 19 My sister and I will rent a villa and our kids will then book what weeks they will be there. Our grandparents came from the island of Ischia. It is about 25 miles from Naples. It would probably be in June, I had booked a tour in Parma this last December but had to cancel it because I fell and broke my hip. The Dr. in Florence was wonderful total hip replacement. so I want to go back and take the tour and so does two of my daughters.
Jan 30th, 2014, 10:24 AM

So not 19 all at once? How many max at one time? Villas housing 19 people are hard to find and usually reserved far ahead of time. Even 12 is hard. For larger groups I always look for a place that has a big enough table to seat everybody -- for big group dinners. Ideally a big table inside and a big table outside.

And do you want a place on Ischia? Or on the mainland? There are ferries to Ischia from Pozzuolo; that port would be easier to get to and from than a port inside the congested city of Naples. You could look for a villa near Pozzuolo.

If you want to do a tour from Parma, then maybe you could do 2 weeks at a villa around there.
Jan 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM

You may want to ask the moderators to untag this - why tag with UK, France and Germany if you're just going to Italy?
Jan 30th, 2014, 01:27 PM

my italian teacher comes from Ischia and i hanker after going there - her mum is a big fan of Inspector Montalbano, as am I, AND I'd love to see the famous gardens of La Mortella.

so in your place with family ties to Ischia it seems to be an obvious place to go for part of your trip but it is VERY popular with italians in the summer so you would need to get looking pronto.

the other part of the trip I would still not want to be in a city but somewhere like mimar describes, or out in the country possibly a block booking at an agriturismo, perhaps in Tuscany or Umbria, where you can make day trips to hill villages and towns and all get together for dinner etc. with 12 of you you might even be able to afford a cook!

and for the kids [and young at heart] I would want a swimming pool. and a/c
Jan 30th, 2014, 01:40 PM

Why not 3 locations and make Rome the 4th.
Italy is quite large.