four senior ladies travelling to Canary Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are four Canadian ladies who are ending their month-long February vacation with a week in Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Although we are in are mid to late 70's, we are all mobile, but are not planning on renting a car, so we are looking for a hotel in a central location, close to public transportation, but we will take some taxis if necessary. We are not looking for a top notch luxury hotel, but would like it to be on the nicer side, so we can enjoy our time in Tenerife before we head back into snowy Canada. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 05:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Canary Islands are part of Spain and you will likely get some responses here. BUT in Fodorville, threads about the Canary Islands reside on the Africa forum - so you might want to post (and maybe check for some existing threads) on that board.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks, I'll post there also and check past posts.

helen
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 12:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
south side is sunny, north side is damper
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The south side of Tenerife, centred around Playa de las Americas has traditionally been the haunt of a younger and rowdier set of people, although February is quieter. The north side is more "genteel" based around Puerto de la Cruz and doesn't have the noisy bars and clubs to anywhere like the same extent as the south. However, because of Mount Teide in between the two sides, the south is warmer and drier especially in the Canarian winter.

On the south side, try Los Abrigos which has a good choice of hotels and restaurants to the east of Los Cristianos and is a lovely resort which we have enjoyed in the past. I'd also recommend Las Galetas which has a nice marina as well as the choice of accommodation and restaurants.
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 01:58 AM

Absolutely agree with Rubi and Bilbo.

Los Gigantes is in the border in both respects, it avoids the louts in the South and it usually avoids the wet weather of the North.

What are you looking for ?

I’ve only been once and of all the hundreds of times I’ve left the shores of Britain, Tenerife was the only time I can say we had a truely awful exeprience. We have the car back after two days and just sat by the pool. It is generally sun, sea and very average food, Tenerife is generally a lower end Northern European holiday destination.

I haven’t been to Madeira but my parents love it.

Not sure if this ties in with your routes or what Rubi and Bilbo think.

I thought most Canadians were in The Bahamas in February!
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 06:06 AM

The high spot for me of Tenerife is being able to eat cake and drink beer at the same time, I have grown up since then a bit. Oh oh and parrots playing basket ball!
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:18 AM

The bus network of Tenerife is very good. Have a look at the timetables!
https://www.titsa.com/index.php/en/t...es-in-tenerife
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd opt for Madeira every time. BC is correct about the food and the island caters for a young, drunk crowd who wouldn't know a Chateaubriand from a cheeseburger. As I said above, out of the UK's holiday periods it is marginally better, but if I were you I'd be in Madeira instead.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 02:47 AM

“Chateaubriand from a cheeseburger”

I prefer Margaux with a Doner Kebab.

and sorry I’ll redraft my previous response.

My worst trip ever wasn’t Tenerife, it was Iceland two years ago. They thought Margaux was the women that ran the Post Office in town. They also only had whale kebabs, uncivilised for me and the whales. Beer was a second mortgage and it was full of cruise ship people wearing Canada Goose coats ...quite an unsavoury place.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 05:53 AM

There are just SO many places four Canadian ladies in their 70s could go for a week or two in February that would be better in so many respects.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 05:54 AM

Azores or Maderia would be nicer to name two
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 06:04 AM

Marrakesh or Seville.

We didn’t find any security issues in Marrakech, in fact with a machine gun armed soldier on every corner I’d hate to commit crime there.

weather will be fine in either. Both have side trips to the coast which in both cases is under developed and stunning.

I would go as far as Tenerife being the bottom of the pile destination in what is politically Europe.

Under 25s - yes
Lower income families for AI - yes
(all inclusive not artificial intelligence)
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 08:36 AM

Marrakech - love it, but not for more than 4 days. The constant din thing gets to me, like Manhattan. Go to Essaouira.

I'd be really curious as to how 4 ladies over 70 picked the Canary Islands. Honestly - WHY?

Go to Greece, go to Turkey, go to Morocco, go to southern Spain. Why on god's earth Tenerife? Blech!
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 10:16 PM

Basically , November to March is the best time to visit as it defines the "high season". You can either go to the north or SOuth both are good this time. You can see this hotel reference - Finca El Picacho. There are many outdoor activities also that you can do there if you love adventure.
Like - Paragliding, Dolphin, and Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, submarine tours, etc.

These are the places that you must visit in Tenerife -
  1. Teide National Park: A UNESCO World Heritage site that has Spain’s highest peak, Mt. Teide, at the heart of it. The views from the top are mesmerizing when you take a cable car that takes you over the crater and let you enjoy the beauty of the island.
  2. Siam Park: It is Tenerife’s biggest and best theme park that is built on a Thai-theme. The park has many wondrous rides including a 90-ft near-vertical drop that will take your breath away. Be prepared for a thrilling adventure here.
  3. Masca: Located in the Teno Mountains, it is a small village that is balanced on a rocky plateau. Accessible via road with breathtaking views on each side that will blow your mind. The main highlight is a hike down the gorge to the beach.
  4. La Laguna: Featuring convents and beautifully preserved mansions from the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries, this former capital of the island is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Must visit.
  5. Garachico: One of the wealthiest and picturesque towns in Tenerife, it is a popular day-trip destination. The most fascinating activity of this place is swimming in rock pools hewn from lava, which gives a unique experience.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 03:36 AM

I think that a counterpoint view would be helpful here. No, the Canary Islands do not have a high class reputation. However, a few points that might be helpful to the OP:

1. It's really one of only a very few places in Europe that's 'beach warm' in the coldest months of winter.
2. Traditionally people (at least British people) do not think of the Canaries when they can afford 'nicer' holiday destinations. As suggested here, it's thought of for either very young people going away to drink or 'low class' family holidays. That's the reputation.
3. The reputation is not without basis but it's far from universally accurate. First, it never was universally accurate, and second, places evolve and to some degree the canaries have tried to cater to a wider range of holidaymakers. Ibiza is a good example of this (not in the Canaries but probably the best example of evolution) - still lots of 18-30 drinkers but they now appeal to health conscious, 'zen' type experiences - boutique hotels for wealthier couples, etc.

Anyway, I have not been to Tenerife but I've been to Lanzarote which doesn't have the best reputation either (sometimes called Lanza-grotty by Brits). I chose a nice hotel in a nice resort town and it was great. Partiers go where there will be a party and that's a rather small proportion of the islands. Yes, there is overdevelopment and ugliness in many areas but there is also a lot of natural beauty and decent areas. I think it's a perfectly fine destination for what you seem to be looking for. Just do your homework to find the quieter and nicer areas, read reviews, and be careful where you book. When you find a nice resort area and a good hotel, who cares what the reputation of the island is. In Britain, a lot of middle class people are brand conscious and if you're middle class you simply don't go to Tenerife without raising eyebrows. Tell your private school mum group that you're looking into Tenerife (or Lanzarote) and it's likely to be met with a "really????". Most will feel they need to explain - "oh no, it's the only place warm in January and we're staying at a nice place. Lots of good activities for the kids. They just want the beach you know.". It's all kind of like shopping at Asda.

You don't need a car and most bookings will include transfers from/to the airport. If you stay in a town, you should be able to easily walk to many restaurants.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 03:43 AM

Walkin

but the subject isn’t The Canaries, it’s Tenrifeeee.

There’s definite stars in the Canaries, La Gomera off Tenerife is stunning and upper middle market just a ball ache to get to.

If you try hard (like CristoManuel(head of Tenerife tourism)] you can find a very thin silver lining to the dirty black cloud that is Tenerife. Although, even he had to drag in a Thai theme park to sell the place. Pattaya would be proud of the reference!

Point is why try hard when the are so many appropriate choices for travellers whose first go to app isn’t Tinder.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Nov 19th, 2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 04:17 AM

I agree. The problem isn't the Canaries, the problem is Tenerife. Kind of like people who want to go to Tijuana and think they're visiting Mexico.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
Walkin

but the subject isn’t The Canaries, it’s Tenrifeeee.

There’s definite stars in the Canaries, La Gomera off Tenerife is stunning and upper middle market just a ball ache to get to.

If you try hard (like CristoManuel(head of Tenerife tourism)] you can find a very thin silver lining to the dirty black cloud that is Tenerife. Although, even he had to drag in a Thai theme park to sell the place. Pattaya would be proud of the reference!

Point is why try hard when the are so many appropriate choices for travellers whose first go to app isn’t Tinder.
Originally Posted by StCirq
I agree. The problem isn't the Canaries, the problem is Tenerife. Kind of like people who want to go to Tijuana and think they're visiting Mexico.
But the Canaries generally have bad reputations, not just Tenerife - Fuerteventura, Lanza-grotty (as mentioned). Grand Canaria. My assumption (right or wrong) is that they all have good and bad areas. As stated, i've only been to Lanzarote which does not have a great reputation either. If it's so much better overall than Tenerife and unlike Lanzarote, there are no good areas then happy to be corrected. Main point (right or wrong) was that you need to find the right resort/town/hotel. I (right or wrong) assume that they all have their bad and good areas. Lanzarote has the art heritage with Manrique, the volcanic landscapes, and the interesting wineries (even if I don't think much of their wine). I think most people mainly go to these places to sit on the beach, eat fish and chips and Full English Breakfasts, and drink cheap beer at Irish pubs but that's a shame (at least with Lanzarote).

I think that most people are not so particular about which Canary island they choose. They may choose the Canaries for the warmth during the dead of winter and find the right hotel/town/resort at the right price, without being set on one island over another. So part of my answer assumed that there may be flexibility - i.e. they should research the best resorts/towns and go from there. Obviously flight accessibility matters for some but at least from here in the UK, they are all pretty much the same formula and flights are plenty - chartered/ tour operator flight, airport transfers, choice of fully catered, half, or room only. That's just mainly how almost all people (at least from the UK) go to the Canaries.
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 05:36 AM

“Kind of like people who want to go to Tijuana and think they're visiting Mexico.”

priceless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -