Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Dublin being renovated during my HONEYMOON!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What to do?

In JULY, I booked a suite at The Four Seasons Dublin (an executive suite, the smallest one) on the 4th floor with a view of the Dublin bay for the 2 nights after our wedding (Dec 3rd and 4th). And a "superior room" on Dec 2nd. We are getting married in Dublin on the 3rd and figured the superior room would be fine for getting ready, etc..

At any rate, I called this morning to confirm our reservations. The woman told me that they are doing renovations at that time and I'll only be able to get a suite on the 1st floor!! Needless to say, I am VERY disappointed. This is our honeymoon and there will be construction going on??! She said "only Monday - Friday" and I said, "Well that's when we'll be there! And she said "only between the hours of 9am - 5pm" and I said, Miss, This is my HONEYMOON, we'll be staying IN all day".

That's one of the reason's I'm shelling out $600 a night, is for the beautiful view and the quiet. I asked if they could at least upgrade us/give us a few perks for our trouble and disappointment, and she said the best they can do is give us the executive suite for the night of the 2nd as well, which really doesn't mean much as we can't check in until 3pm and will be spending all that day and evening with family - we'll hardly even be in there but for to sleep and get ready as our wedding is the next morning.

What should I do? Is there another hotel in Dublin that is as beautiful where we could stay? Or should I just deal with the situation and hope for the best?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:04 PM
lawchick

Don't stay there. Renovations are a nightmare - they seem to follow me around like a plague.

Hang on - is this for next December? Your mail is dated the 8th but you say yoi're getting married on the 3rd?

If its that far ahead - I am surprised that they have the work scheduled. Are you quite sure?

Any way - if in doubt - try the Merrion and get the Four Seasons to organise you a rate there.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Oops, I mean January third!!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
lawchick

Kick up an almighty fuss and then demand that they put you somewhere else - like the Merrion - at basically their expense.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
CU

Ask the hotel have they a 'sister'hotel that they are interlinked with. If they have it may solve your problem if they transfer you.
Look at www.visitdublin.com for all the other hotels around and if you find one you can look for a refund as they are failing to deliver the service you requested and paid.
Ask them about your rights under the Consumer Act if they fail to deliver the service you requested.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
lawchick

They don't have a sister hotel - but the only one of the same calibre is the Merrion and I'm sure they have a relationship.

If you don't succeed with them and you need the heads up on the Irish Law - just post another message and I will respond.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I REALLY want to stay there, but I don't want my honeymoon ruined by loud noise, etc.

I was hoping they could at least updrade us to a nicer suite for our stay and a meal or two. I don't want to make too big of a deal out of it, but I'm just very disappointed. I even upgraded the last night to the "romance package" which is 610 Euros - about $710 for one night - not to mention the other two nights will be $500 for the suite and about $350 for the 'superior room' - that's $1560 for 3 nights not including food, room service, tips, etc.

How do you suggest I go about dealing with it? What should I ask for and what should I say?

Thanks again!

How should I go about getting what I want from them?
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:44 PM

I'm not really sure what you are looking for?

The hotel was nice enough to notify you about the renovations.

You have 2 options - Cancel the reservation or accept the renovations.

If you accept, then the best advice I could offer you is to actually talk to the GM. DON'T demand anything, just explain your situation and hope for the best.

The hotel does not owe you anything and that's how you have to approach it. It's very possible that the GM may upgrade you to a better suite in a section of a hotel that's not being worked on, but it's also possible that s/he won't make any committments, yet do something nice for you once you arrive.

Besides, what kind of renovations will be going on? It's very possible that it may be just new carpets being installed on certain floor(s) and the hotel will take that particular floor out of inventory, but it doesn't mean there will be wall knocking/banging/bunch of construction guys walking around. I have been to some hotels where I was informed that something was going on yet I was never effected or even saw/heard anything.
Congratulations on your marriage!
Good luck!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

They didn't notify me. I called them to confirm. Had I not called, and just showed op in January, I naver would have known.

All of the suites on the 3rd and 4th floor are being overhauled. The bottom line is that I requested a 4th floor suite with a certain view, and that's what they promised. Again, had they called to notify me, that would be one thing - but I had t find out on my own.

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

PS: Thanks for the good wishes!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Well, I think they do owe you something! A nicer room, meals, something. For heaven's sake, that is a lot of money, and they didn't even call or write to tell you that your room wouldn't be available.

If it were me, I would be angry and probably not wild about staying there anymore. I would try booking the comparable hotel others are talking about, and if you can get something you want there, cancel at the Four Seasons. It sounds like they don't really care about making you happy, and that isn't what I would want for my wedding and honeymoon.

We were married at the Essex House in NYC, and not spending half of what you are, we were treated royally. When they found that we were coming there to get married and have a short honeymoon, they upgraded us from a regular room to an extremely nice junior suite, had strawberries dipped in chocolate with champagne and a note saying "For the Bride and Groom" in the room, and just treated us fantastically. The staff called us by name in the lobby (!) as we passed through, and more. Ever since then, I have raved about the hotel to anyone and everyone.

It doesn't sound like the 4 Seasons is that interested in making you happy. Try the other hotel.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:08 PM
hsv

Frankly I am with AAFrequentFlyer at this. What should they do? Give you an upgrade, sure. But then they offered that for another night. And as you are already staying in an Executive Suite, there probably isn't much on top of this to which they could <i>up</i>grade you.
Hotels certainly have the right to do renovations. In fact it is in large part due to constant care that we all enjoy staying at hotels like the Four Seasons so much. It is only natural that they did not wait for your honeymoon to be over - if they even knew before about it that your stay would be your honeymoon.
Should they have informed you in the first place when the issue came up? Probably. But as they did not, this may very well be a signal that the renovations they are undergoing are not really major ones and they feel that you would not be bothered anyway. I suppose the same is indicated by the short duration of the scheduled renovations and the fact that so far they themselves did not appear so concerned about it.

If I were you, I'd give the Sales Manager or even the GM a call, explain my worries, be nice and see what he'll do. If you have a good feeling afterward, give them a chance and head there - they are quite likely to try to satisfy I should expect. If you don't have a good feeling, cancel reservations and head elsewhere. But contrary to others who suggested you could do so at the expense of the Four Seasons, I would think that you'd have to pay yourself. After all you'd have to pay the Four Seasons otherwise, an amount you'd be saving in this case. The best you could do is claim the difference from the Four Seasons should the room of the same quality at the other hotel cost more and should you be able to prove a violation of contract by the Four Seasons.
I wish you good luck with your decision, your wedding and your marriage!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:41 PM

Living in Dublin, I have stayed in neither hotel, so I can't comment on their suites. However I have visited them for functions / drinks etc. Personally, I would prefer the Merrion -it is located in an old renovated Georgian building, has much more character than the Four Seasons (which is huge and I think it is a carbunckle!), is in the middle of Dublin, directly opposite Leinster House (the D&aacute;il - Irish Parliament Building) and within a stroll (300 meters or so) of Dublin city Center. It also has a Michelin star restaurant (Partick Guibauld's - expensive, but worth it for the special occassion).

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
lawchick

The Four seasons website states that -
&quot;Four Seasons defines the essence of a superb honeymoon. As a destination setting, for just you two, or your whole party, we make weddings and honeymoons seamless and inspiring. For your first night, we offer a retreat of peace and comfort - with a smooth start for your trip to another Four Seasons honeymoon setting. Or for your honeymoon with us, we can help you craft every unforgettable detail.&quot;

This is obviously now a misrepresentation even though they have disclaimers on their website. You relied on their representations 9on the web and in discussion)regarding the room ie the view etc so that it became an inducement (though not necessarily the only inducement) to enter into the contract. It could be alleged therefore that peace and quiet etc is a fundamental part of your contract with them, as this is what they advertised, this is what you discussed with them, this is what they offered and you accepted. Unfortunately this is a toughie as you have a responsibility to mitigate your losses. That means that even if your contractual partner is not keeping their end of the bargain, you should try to keep your losses at a minimum. You have been advised of the problem, so you are at liberty to go elsewhere. You are unlikely to sue them I presume.

Discuss it with the Manager. Highlight the requirements you specified and when you specified them. highlight that this is the most important day of your life and the most important holiday of your life, which is now becoming very stressful and upsetting for you. Ask them what they can do - ie where is the quietest area of the hotel.... after that - I don't know.....head off to the Merrion.

Where is your marriage ceremony?

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 04:16 AM
lawchick

By the way, take comfort, my wedding hotel situation was a disaster! I got married in Austria in April and the previous September or so I visited many hotels and block booked 30 rooms and 2 suites in a particular hotel. The suites for me (and eventually the new husband) and my parents - nedded the space for the getting into the white frock etc., and the 30 rooms were for guests travelling from Ireland. We confirmed everything, orally and by fax, and they confirmed back. A few weeks before the wedding we found out guests were having difficulty booking the rooms we had pre-booked. It transpired that they had lost the pre-booking. They had only 4 rooms left in the hotel and no suites. Chaos and tears ensued and we had to scatter guests all over the city, as there was a big conference on and very few rooms available. My parents and I took rooms in the offending hotel and then had to haul ass/luggage/big white frock to the suites the morning of the wedding, which was a bit stressful.

Then the morning after the night before - ie the morning after the wedding, as new hubby and I were practising our new marital duties, the cleaning lady let herself in, despite a big DND on the door! We were caught in the act with a roar of &quot;Enshuldigung!&quot; from her. Now evertime we hear something at the door of our hotel, we are more than a little nervous.

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 04:27 AM

i agree with AA. i would not expect the hotel to see this as a major problem that warrants a great effort to make amends. approaching this with demands and expectations that they owe you a great deal in reparations is not realistic. i would calmly explain and ask what can be done.

if it were me, i would have the groom call and calmly explain that the bride is very upset with the situation and ask if they can do something to make her relax. this MIGHT create some sympathy but i would not expect the same level of empathy that you would get from a similar hotel at home.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 04:36 AM
lawchick

Hotels in Ireland are fairly sympathetic. I stayed in the Fitzwilliam a while back and complained about noise from renovation - they moved me immediately from my 160euro discounted standard room to a really nice suite on the roof - where there was no noise. If they have something else available they will certainly do their best. If they are booked out - they can't do much I guess.

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 05:45 AM
hsv

lawchick,

I don't think you really could interpret a text of merely promotional character, stating only broad terms that are wide open to interpretation like the one you quoted from the FS website as a representation.

Grounds for claims and legal action remain fairly vague in this matter.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:00 AM
lawchick

The info on the website is an invitation to treat - when coupled with the discussion and the fact of the honeymoon, under Irish law it probably would be considered as a basis for a claim.

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I phoned this morning and was told the reservation manager would call me. He called me within the hour and was WONDERFUL and very sympathetic. They upgraded us to their PREMIUM suite for all 3 nights plus threw in the &quot;romance package&quot; along with comped breakfasts and dinners. All in all, a value of about $8,000 and we're now only spending about $1300 because they reduced the rate further. So, needless to say, we are more than happy. He also followed up with an email confirming all of the new changes and rates.

I have to stress how kind he was and how he stressed that they want this to be a special time for us and will do whatever we need to make it perfect. I could tell in his voice that he was very genuine.

I have to say that this has made me respect the company, knowing that they have given such a wonderful upgrade and the fact that he called AND follwed up with a comfirmation email.

Thanks again for the advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -