Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   FOUR PARIS ADDRESS APARTMENTS (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/four-paris-address-apartments-966146/)

mrubio0806 Feb 8th, 2013 01:11 PM

FOUR PARIS ADDRESS APARTMENTS

Following up on a previous recommendation by Ruby99 regarding Paris apartment websites, I did a little perusing and came up with four more apartments that I need your input on.

http://www.parisaddress.com/paris-ap...rtment/AUG17RC
http://www.parisaddress.com/paris-ap...ment/PERGOLESE
http://www.parisaddress.com/paris-ap...partment/PLUME
http://www.parisaddress.com/paris-ap...ment/STMICHEL2

annhig Feb 8th, 2013 01:20 PM

mrubio - what were your criteria for picking those apartments? they are quite different and spread out over Paris.

can you remind us what you are looking for?

Christina Feb 8th, 2013 02:03 PM

I'm having a little trouble with your choices, also, as I thought you said you must have AC. Maybe that was someone else, but I notice only one of those does have AC (STMICHEL). It looks nice enough. It is near RER stops but not metro, but could be worse, otherwise a nice enough location.

THe first one sort of looked nice in the photos until I looked further and figure out it was sort of a basement apartment. What we call an English basement where I live, it is sort of half underground. That might make it cooler but that kind of ground location would not be for me, just don't like the idea of half windows and being at ground level. Otherwise, it is very attractive. I don't find the pergolese location very convenient myself, out in-between the Arc and Porte Maillot.

mrubio0806 Feb 9th, 2013 04:19 AM

Thank you both very much. As you can tell I am quite the novice. Annhig, we are 4 (husband, 20 yr. and 23 yr. old). We want to try and find a location that is central (safe), with elevator and A/C. and of course near a metro. I personally don't care if it has A/C but my husband does. Its become quite taxing to try and find something that's relatively nice with all of these features. Please keep in mind I am learning how to navigate through the websites and Fodors.

Christina Feb 9th, 2013 04:28 AM

yeah, I understand, looking at apt websites can take a lot of time. It is difficult to find very many apts in Paris with AC, I am looking right now myself, but at a lower budget (which is even harder). Even some apts in 20th Century buildings don't have it, 99 pct of the ones I find do not.

However, I guess it isn't clear if you must have AC or not, otherwise you are wasting your time in finding and vetting all these apts without AC if your husband insists on it. I don't really blame him, actually, as I'd just as soon stay in a nice hotel and be comfortable if I can't find something decent with AC if I am going in the peak summer period (which I am). But I'm only one person so the costs aren't much different but for 4 people, there is more incentive to get an apt. When are you going, if it is July or August, it might not be very pleasant without AC. YOu can get lucky with the weather, of course, and have a period when it isn't so hot in those months, you can't tell, but often it is very hot. I've had many nights when I could hardly sleep due to no AC in Paris in July, and of course, what that also means is you have to keep your windows open and there is usually a lot of noise.

mrubio0806 Feb 9th, 2013 05:03 AM

We plan on being there from 5/4/13 to 5/11/13. Research indicates an average of low to high 50's which is cool enough but...you never know. I am to the point where I will have to forego A/C given our options.

janisj Feb 9th, 2013 10:44 AM

You do know that in early May it might be more important to have heating than worry about a/c?

You could have lovely/warm weather, or you could have cool weather - you are unlikely to have a heat wave.

cw Feb 9th, 2013 05:48 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about a/c in early May.

#1 doesn't have a washer/dryer if that is a concern. Also it has no privacy, because it looks like the bedroom in the loft is open to downstairs.
#2 has a better set-up for you but the location doesn't thrill me.
#3 is in a good location and would suit your family.
#4 is smaller and doesn't look as though it has comfortable seating for more than two. Note the trundle bed arrangement of the second bedroom.

If you don't need a/c you may have more options. If you plan on cooking check which units have a real oven.

skatterfly Feb 9th, 2013 09:02 PM

M Rubio, congratulations on going to Paris. I agree with other people that you really don't need to worry about A/C at that time. Really. More than likely it'll be a little chilly but not hot enough to use an A/C.

As far as neighborhoods, and I apologize if someone has already asked this in the previous post... these apartments are ALL OVER Paris so they don't exactly make for simple comparisons. I'm guessing this is your first time to Paris, right? Have you thought about which neighborhood you'd want to stay in, what kind of feel and vibe you want? Each arrondisment can be so different. I personally love the 6th and 7th. My parents, they love the little streets of Ile St. Louis, my younger brother, the Marais but is just as happy staying with his friend who lives in like, the 17th or 18th. Also, is there a reason you're only considering ParisAddress? (I have nothing against them...actually know nothing of them.) I just wondered if you might have a better time finding what you like by narrowing your choices to a few neighborhoods and then comparing from there.

In general terms, for your group, I'd definitely say 2 separate bedrooms rather than a loft is better, so beware of listings that say "sleep 4" but the 2nd "beddroom" is a pull out sofa or loft above the living room. (BTW, sometimes those loft rooms have very short ceilings). Also, are the 20 and 23 year olds a couple or 2 siblings? One other thing that may be important to look at is whether having a lift is important to you. There was a time I could care less if I had to hike up 5 flights of stairs but now I'm had too many ankle injuries and would prefer a lift where I'm staying.

You did say you want something "safe" but really, so much in Paris is "Safe" so I don't know what you mean by that. I personally wouldn't want a ground floor apartment... and that's about the only "safety" concern I'd have.

The other important things to consider is how close to the metro it is (assuming you want to take the metro a lot). If you want to walk to most everything, and most everything you want to see is in one area, then you should stay near that. If you're going to be seeing "everything" (and I really don't mean everything but just that you'd be going all over) then you'll need a metro station nearby.

Also, you want to look at what kind of kitchen setup it has if you intend on cooking regularly. Whether it has a washer/dryer if that's important to you. The things I look at (that might mean nothing to other people... is I like good beds and nicer bedding). When the beds look saggy with threadbare linens, I tend to run the other direction, but that's just me.

FWIW, I think the 2nd one (pergolese) looks like it lacks charm.
The 1st one I might be worried about that loft from a privacy standpoint, and there aren't many windows. It says it's the ground floor, and it feels a little closed in to me... but it's one of my favorite neighborhoods.
The 3rd one looks tiny but charming... I don't know that neighborhood.
The 4th one is even smaller and that red wall would drive me nuts. And as the previous poster noted, not much seating. If you're basically sleeping there only, then it wouldn't matter. If you're counting on sitting together once in a while, sip some wine and tell eachother all about what you discovered that day, it's doesn't seem very comfy.

Good luck.
One thing is for sure, there are literally hundreds, thousands of 2 bedroom options out there. What's your budget, and for how many days are you staying?

-k

annhig Feb 10th, 2013 02:22 AM

Annhig, we are 4 (husband, 20 yr. and 23 yr. old). We want to try and find a location that is central (safe), with elevator and A/C. and of course near a metro. I personally don't care if it has A/C but my husband does>>

ok, so this [IMO] is what you need to be looking for:

2 beds [one double, one twin], near a metro [preferably not one that's out on a limb so you have to change lines to go anywhere] with lift and A/C. [i agree that you are very unlikely to need it in Paris in May, but if this is what it takes to get your DH on board, so be it].

Next question - how are you arriving in Paris? if you are starting from CDG, and planning on using the RER to get into Paris, [not necessarily the best idea as there are 4 of you so a cab might be as cheap and definitely more convenient, certainly for arriving] then somewhere within walking distance of an RER B stop would be good. and do you like cooking/are you planning on eating "chez vous" during your stay - in which case proximity to a market would be a plus.

looking at the 4 apartments you're selected, overall I prefer the one in the Marais - it has 2 decent bedrooms and bathrooms - important when there are 4 adults, and it's in a nice area where your young adults will feel comfortable going out by themselves. I also see from google maps that there's a market down at the Bastille so that shouldn't be a problem.

like skatterfly says, there are thousands of 2 bed apartments in Paris; you don't need to stick with one agency. draw up your parameters [they don't have to be the ones I've suggested, but you need somewhere to start] and see what you can find.

good luck!

mrubio0806 Feb 10th, 2013 05:18 AM

Thank you for your candor Annhig and Skatterfly. It's not our first time in Paris but haven't been there in 21 years (son has been there but my daughter has not). We will be arriving in Paris (Gare du Nord)from London on the eurostar after a week in London (was last there in 1982). We plan on taking a taxi service to the apartment. Of course, central in Paris would be ideal but we are budgeted for maximum 1600 Euros and it seems the more central the more expensive. We need an elevator since i have several recent injuries and will be walking all day so additional stair climbing is not an option, A/C will no longer be a factor(decision made now), 2 bedrooms of which ours needs to have a queen sized bed and the second can be twin beds for my two kids (20/23 year old), good linens and cleanliness a must. What was once something I looked forward to (searching on VRBO, Homeaway and now Paris Address for an apartment in Paris) has become quite the chore because most of the time there's something that prevents me from making a decision (ie. availability, location, shabbiness, and worst of all the ones I do like are rather expensive) but...my heart will go on as I'm sure there has to be something we can find. But, I am really thankful for this site and all of you who've given me some direction.

mrubio0806 Feb 10th, 2013 05:18 AM

Oh and of course Paris Attitude.

annhig Feb 10th, 2013 09:34 AM

mrubio, i understand about the cost element driving you out of central Paris, but your mobility problem suggests that somewhere more central may pay off, not just because you'll be paying less in transport costs, but also because you'll be able to head home for a rest if you need one.

as you are arriving at the gare du nord, how about somewhere in Montparnasse? easy to get to on the RER B, you can easily access the centre of Paris, and there are plenty of restaurants in Montparnasse itself for you to frequent in the evening.

good luck with your searches - that perfect apartment must be out there somewhere!

jamikins Feb 10th, 2013 09:38 AM

What about something like this http://www.myparisvisit.com/rental-t...-paris-60.html

We used this company in 2009 with no problems, it's central, has a lift...

jamikins Feb 10th, 2013 09:39 AM

I hope this works, but two bedrooms in very central Paris in your budget http://www.myparisvisit.com/paris-ap...ople=4&sortby=