Four Days in Tuscany - What to do??

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Mark

Four Days in Tuscany - What to do??

Hey all, thanks for this great forum.

My wife and I are going to be honeymooning in Italy in August. Have everything planned out except our four days we'll be in Tuscany/Florence. Any recommendations on what should be seen, where we should go in this time period?

We're going to be heading north from Rome, after four days we'll be going to Cinque Terre. Should we rent a car and drive around to different towns for four days? Or stay closer to Florence?

Thanks, any advice would be much appreciated. Also, I forget the name off-hand, but has anyone been to the bi-annual horse race in Siena? We'll be there during that time -- is it worth battling the crowd to see it?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Doug

You can't miss in this region -- Tuscany's my favorite area of Italy. When we were there last year, we hit Florence, Pisa and Siena. Two days in Florence was good - I'd recommend staying there at least that long.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:28 PM
liz

Yes, definitely rent a car for the four days and go to San Gimignano, Volterra, Pienza (but that's quite a drive) Siena. We found all these towns to be within a days drive and return to our Villa in SanGimignano. Buona Fortuna a te!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Maureen

Mark,
We were in Siena for the celebrations leading up to the July 2 Palio, quite a site. We did not stay for the actual race as we had to be back in Rome, however did enjoy all the colorful events leading up to the race. I agree with the other postings a must see is the hill town of Montalcino---beautiful and a car is a must.
Maureen

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Mark

Thanks for the tips! for renting a car - would it be best to rent in Rome and drive to Tuscany or take a train to Florence (or some place else) and rent from there?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:51 AM
dale

mark: i think driving in rural italy is fun, but (perhaps i'm a wimp) driving in rome and florence is a nightmare. i'd train to arezzo and drive my way north and west and maybe turn it in in lucca or pisa. ciao.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Elsa

You might consider taking a train from Rome (if that's where you will be) to Orvieto (which is a neat hill town), and renting a car there and driving up to Tuscany. If you are flying home out of Rome you can just drive the rental back to Orvieto, drop off the car, and take the train back into Rome (1 hr. train ride).

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Sue

Hi,

I think renting a car and traveling to the little hills towns of Tuscany is fabulous. Also the Chianti area in Tuscany, is beautiful. There are wonderful wineries and beautiful country side. Florence is wonderful and there is so much art there, but there are so many tourist that it takes away from its charm. You will love this area and four days is not too long to snoop around the back roads.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Mark

Thanks everybody -- any recommendations on the best place or places to use as a home base in this area? Also, we want to see Florence but don't want to fight the crowds too much -- would it be better not to stay there, instead take a train (or the car) in for a day or two?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:48 PM
kam

Having been to the Palio in Siena in August with Italian relatives, it's certainly not the type of thing I think you'd want to do on a honeymoon! It makes for a very difficult day and all of the convenient hotels will be sold out at this point. Also, I'm sure there are no hotels available in Siena on those date either. The Palio celebrations occur over the course of a week, so if you wanted to take a daytrip to the city you could see a bit of the pagentry. The Sienese really don't think of this or market it as a tourist thing anyway. I would stay in the countryside of Tuscany, but I think you need to make your reservations yesterday. Congrats.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:37 AM
pat

A warning about renting a car in Orvieto. We did just that about a month ago. We had a prepaid car rental with Hertz and when we arrived at the appointed time they told us they had no cars and would have to go to Rome to get one. We ended up wasting most of a day waiting. The Hertz rental is also very hard to find in Orvieto as it is out of town at a small dealership. I agree though that a car is needed for Tuscany. We loved Pienza, Montalcino, and Siena. Have a great time.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:10 AM
lisa

Mark -- I am planning a trip to Tuscany in late August also and we are arriving in Rome. We had hoped to take a train out of Rome and then pick up a rental car either in Orvieto or somewhere in Tuscany. However, we are arriving on a Saturday and I have learned that all the major car rental agencies are closed on Saturday after noon and all day Sunday. So we have now arranged to rent a car at FCO airport in Rome upon our arrival, which we will drive to Montalcino where we are staying. We found the best rate with Avis and are returning it several days later, in Chiusi I believe. Good luck with your planning.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:34 AM
sally

Hi Mark: have rented cars both at FCO outside of Rome and in Florence. If it were me, I'd train it to Florence, and when ready to move on, I'd rent one there. The place we rented from in Florence is within a stone's throw of the road up thru Fiesole and out to autostrada into Tuscan countryside. Cannot off top of my head remember the address, but know the car was rented through Auto Europe; my mom is a travel agent and did all the bookings for us. If you wish further info., e-mail me, and I'll try to find out address where we got our car. Getting one out of Rome FCO airport rental areas is not bad at all, but wastes time, in my opinion. Congrats on your upcoming marriage; you will love Italy for a honeymoon trip!! Regards, Sally

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 11:21 PM
Carin

What a wonderful honeymoon!
Rent a car (AutoEurope was easy to do online) and drive to Montalcino. The drive and the town is beautiful and romantic. Have lunch or dinner there with a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino wine - delicious! Visit the Monte Olivet Abbey on the way - it's lovely (but closed during the middle of the day - call first). The cafe next door has a lovely lunch, too.