Search

Four Days in St. Petersburg. Questions.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Four Days in St. Petersburg. Questions.

Dear Fodorites,

As good fortune has it I will be accompanying DH on a work trip to St. Petersburg later this month (October). I have devoured my lone guide book and too many Internet listicles, and from that have only set aside time for The Hermitage (only certain collections of interest) and the fortress. Everything else is fair game, and so questions remain.

1. The Gold or Diamond room tour? I like all things sparkly, but if one/both/neither is worth a special tour I'd like to read your experience.
2. We have visited Moscow and other cities with stunning cathedrals and do not wish for cathedral overload on this holiday. Which 3-4 should we "not miss," and why?
3. The Faberge Museum, yay or nay? I loved the collection in Moscow, and the smaller collection at Hillwood in Washington, D.C. Would this be underwhelming or redundant?
4. The Museum of Political History, yay or nay?
5. Any particular Farmers Markets of note? We will be in the city on a Saturday and would like to visit a vibrant and photogenic market (that also has goods we might want to bring home.)
6. Anything else (museum, store, photo spot) that captured your attention?

Thank you, in advance.

Last edited by fourfortravel; Oct 8th, 2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 09:43 AM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought St. Isaac's extraordinary for (among other things) it's use of various granites, marbles, and semi-precious stones.

The collection of icons at the Russian Museum is, IMO, well worth seeing.

The cemetery of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra is an interesting place to stroll.

And SOOoooooo much else! Your time will go very quickly.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 11:23 AM

I loved the Faberge museum and my favourite church was the Church of our Saviour on the Spilled Blood; the whole interior is done in beautiful mosaics.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I had not considered the cemetery, but will investigate; I have wandered most of the larger cemeteries here in Vienna and find them interesting. And I'm a fan of mosaics, that's a point in favor of the Church of our Saviour.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 07:00 AM

Piskaryovskoe Memorial Cemetery..

siege of Leningrad victims ‘ memorial and burial ground...worth a visit .
metro and bus

I enjoyed a bout tour of the canals

The churches in Moscow are hard to beat
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Absolutely second Danon's suggestion re: Piskaryovskoe. A very important site to get a better understanding of the city.

2. Kazansky, St.Isaaqs, and Spasa na krovi (spilled blood). All three very different from what you experienced in Moscow.
3. Faberge - probably yay. Personally, I'm not a big fan, but the collection is well presented, not underwhelming at all if you know what to expect - and if you should, having seen the (smaller) egg collection at the Armoury.
4. IMHO, yay, but tastes differ.
5. I liked Kuznechny Rynok (across from Dostoevsky's apartment). Not exactly a farmers market, and not always vibrant, bit pretty cool. No experience with fresh produce markets otherwise.
6. Too many to list - but this would be my top five or so: Russian museum, the General Staff collection of the Hermitage, Erarta museum of modern art, museum of the Navy, Artillery museum (get the audio guide), Mariinsky or Mikhailovsky theater, the philarmonic hall - and then, of course, the palaces - Peterhof would be my pick, but I'm not sure when they shut off the water works.

Last edited by napoxoguk; Oct 9th, 2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Unintended smiley removal
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pushkin (Amber Room), Peterhof (by boat) (Mon Plaisir).
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Once again, thank you. I'm torn on the Russian Museum, only because in the last six months I have seen two Russian Impressionism exhibits; and with just 4 or so days I need to prioritize. Definitely the Amber Room--who doesn't love fossilized tree sap!
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 10:10 PM
kja

When I visited the Russian Museum, I had little understanding of Russian icons. I took the audio guide, and learned so very much! And the collection includes some exquisite examples of a variety of styles of icon. Your call, of course, but I thought it truly memorable. I've never looked at a Russian icon the same way.