Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Four Days in London ...HELP!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/four-days-in-london-help-18131/)

Natalie Oct 22nd, 1997 06:31 PM

Four Days in London ...HELP!!!

I will be traveling to London in mid November. I have been reading up on things to do and see but, with only four days I am sure I will not get it all in. I would appreciate any suggestions on things I must see/do. I ordered a heritage pass, supposable it allows me into things such as, The Tower and Buckingham Palace without having to wait in line to purchase a ticket. Are the lines that long? did I buy into something I may not need? I have also booked a room at the Comfort Inn Kensington, any advice there? Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

sabrina Oct 23rd, 1997 12:37 AM

Very much depends on your taste! I'd definitely recommend the British History Museum (off Tottenham Court Road, W1), Madame Tussauds (just outside
of Baker Street Tube station), the National Portrait Gallery, which also happens to be close to Trafalgar Square, The Tower of London at Tower Bridge and, for something a little different and true to the eclectic nature that is London, Camden Town & Market. I'm not familiar with the Heritage Pass, but I'd imagine it has to do with National Trust homes and maybe one or two museums - you should check this as you may not be able to get true value for money with the short time you have to spend.
Buckingham Palace - well, yes, the lines are long, the tour is short AND expensive in comparison to the wait and the few areas you do see, and was slated rather heavily for these things by respected critics and journalists. I'd view it as a disappointment and most Londoners don't go, but for a visitor it's probably a fascinating opportunity. Up to you, I think! All the best on your trip.

dodger Oct 23rd, 1997 08:24 AM

If I only had four days in London and if my first trip I would see: Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, Science museum, Tower of London, V&A museum,British Museum, a walk thru Green park to see Buckingham Palace(not go inside), see a play, walk down Oxford street, visit covent gardens area. Just outside of London I would go to Greenwich and Hampton Court. Pass on the changing of the guard. Have a good time. Try a pub or two. Learn the Tube and ride a bus just for the fun of it.

Bill Irving Oct 23rd, 1997 08:50 AM

I have been to Great Britian 3 times, the latest this past June. I have used the Heritage Pass everytime & I have always
gotten more than my money's worth, & it is very convienent. When you get the tickets, you need to look at the brochure
to see what the pass gets you into in the London area. If you have the pass, you still have to wait in line to get tickets,
then you just use the pass instead of money. Even when we were there in June, I had no lines to wait in for entrance in London
or other areas, except for the Tower of London, & that ended up being only about a 15 minute wait. By the way, the Heritage Pass
only covers 1/2 the entrance fee to the Tower. Every place else I was just able to walk in because there were no lines. We had to
wait in line along time for Madame Tossaud's but that wasn't covered by the pass. Things that I have used the Pass for in the
London area, besides the Tower of London, the Tower Bridge tour -- well worth while & the only way you can go to the top, --
-- The Old Royal Observatory & Queen's House in Greenwhich just a boatride away from London or use the light rail to get there,
very do-able in 1 day or even 1/2 day.
We have been to the Royal Muse(SP?) were all the Royal Coaches are kept, that was very worthwhile, for other entrance fees. The next
time I go to Britain, I will use the Heritage pass again. have Fun.

covered by the Pass, check the brochure.

WATERS Carol Oct 24th, 1997 08:27 PM

where did you buy your Heritage Pass? Never heard of it... $$$ ??- time limit?? i may go to England for a few months (work) in'98. thanks for info.

Sue Hamby Oct 25th, 1997 04:26 AM

I love London and regardless of the number of times I go there, there is always something new to see. If you like real bargains, be sure and go to Portabello Market. It is only on Saturday mornings I think and is absolutely wonderful. Enjoy your trip. I will be there the end of November on my way back from Egypt for a few days.

Karen Oct 26th, 1997 06:32 PM

We usually purchase the Heritage Pass also, used to be called Open To View. The price has gone up , but to make it pay for itself, you have to be there long enough to visit enough places that are listed. It may be purchased before you go thru the British Tourist Authority, probably listed in your phone book. The only other place not mentioned that I would visit is the Imperial War Museum.

suzy Oct 26th, 1997 06:59 PM

I wish to watcha musical in London. However, I am not sure whether I can get the tickets at the door or to make an advance booking. Please advise.
thank you.

CAROL Oct 27th, 1997 02:36 PM

I visited London several times. May I suggest that in addition to the sound advise given above , that you take an introductory bus tour upon arrival in London. It is a very walkable city, but you have to get your bearings.

Purchase a Metro/Bus pass. It allows you to hop on and off the bus without the trouble of paying a conductor and allows you to travel freely those 4 or 5 blocks when you are so exhausted.

English theatre is a MUST. Cheaper than NYC and just as wonderful. Have a great time.