Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Four-day Ireland Visit - Skip Dublin? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/four-day-ireland-visit-skip-dublin-1665590/)

crosscheck Apr 6th, 2019 01:18 PM

Four-day Ireland Visit - Skip Dublin?

Mr. Crosscheck and I are traveling from California to Edinburgh and Manchester respectively for work in late July/early August. We both have worked/traveled extensively in the UK, but haven't been to Ireland and plan to start our trip with four days there. We realize we can't see much in that time - Our idea was to pair Dublin with a few days of scenery, photography, hiking and traditional music.

We were thinking of two nights in Dublin, then driving to Gregan's Castle in the Burren and stay there for two nights before flying to Edinburgh from Shannon. But a friend suggested that we skip Dublin altogether in favor of a less hectic location. We could fly into Cork instead of Dublin (through Gatwick) - Is there a great spot in or near Cork (Kinsale?) where we could stay before heading to Gregan's? How about one night in Cork, one night in Galway and then two at Gregan's. Or should we stick with the original 2 nights Dublin/2 nights Burren plan?

janisj Apr 6th, 2019 01:31 PM

It really does depend . . . do you want a little city and a little country, OR do you want mostly scenic/countryside for the whole time?

If it was me I'd either spend two nights somewhere around Killarney/Dingle and two nights in the Burren or all four nights in the Burren area.

But IF you want to see Dublin -- that would be fine too.

LindaBrinck Apr 7th, 2019 09:48 AM

I much prefer the Irish countryside to its cities. But different strokes for different folks.

If I had 4 days in Ireland, I would spend 2 nights in Kenmare - darling little village and take in Killarney National Park and Ring of Kerry.
Then head to that gorgeous Burren resort you picked and explore Doolin, see the Cliffs of Moher, and then the Burren. Maybe head to one of the Aran Islands too.

crosscheck Apr 10th, 2019 01:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we need to fly into Dublin or Cork and out of Shannon, so our logistics might not work for Kenmore. But we do like the idea of splitting the time between two villages. Traveling now but will work on this next week - might be back with more questions.

LindaBrinck Apr 16th, 2019 01:22 PM

The drive from Dublin to Kenmare seeing Powerscourt and WIcklow Mountains would be lovely.
Then head to Kenmare and up to County Clare to depart Shannon.

crosscheck Apr 18th, 2019 09:41 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

We ultimately decided that because we only have three full days to spend in Ireland before the intensity of Edinburgh, we need to stay in one place and do some relaxing. So we're going with janisj's idea above - flying in and out of Shannon, staying in Ennis the first night (good music scene, walkable town, right near the airport), then three nights at Gregan's Castle in Ballyvaughan where we can explore Burren, the Cliffs, various music places and the Aran Islands - all less than 30 minutes away. Clearly we need to return sooner than later to see Dublin, Kenmare, Dingle, Clifden etc, but we need to treat this break as a long weekend and focus on de-stressing, not a lot of driving.

I'm particularly sad to miss Dingle because of how spectacular the photos are - will County Clare be that green?

janisj Apr 18th, 2019 10:25 PM

>>will County Clare be that green?<< . . . everywhere will be that green.

Enjoy . . .