Reload this Page >

Fotinos Houses - Oia, Santorini-comments and reviews

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I'm looking to book accomodations for 5 nights in Oia Sept 10-15, and am considering Fotinos Houses. I am also considering Casa Sofia(actually Nina's House right across but owned by the same people) , which is being offered for the same price per night.
Trip Advisor has really no reviews to speak of....we're not fussy travellers, and realize that staying in Oia with a caldera view for 100 euro or less is a steal. I'm curious about any fellow fodorites reviews of Casa Sofia or Fotinos Houses....we are fit and can walk a bit from our villa to restaurants, markets, etc...
Thanks for any input!
Jenn
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM

They're both very good choices. The main difference is location and view.

Fotinos Houses is only about a year old so there isn't much info yet, but the owner has a high standard for his properties (also owns a small hotel in Perissa). The view is mostly of the open sea and sunset and a bit of the caldera. Views of the clifftop villages are blocked at this location.

I think you mean Lena's House. It's been around for a few years but sort of in the background, thus the low price. It's a good example of the traditional cave house style of accomodation. The view is great, takes in the caldera (no sunset), most of Oia and the other clifftop villages in the distance.

Oia is a small village, and nothing is very far away from everything else. Walking from one end of the main part of the village to the other only takes about 20 minutes maximum. Lena's House is a bit more central to the village square. One nice thing about Fotinos Houses is that they are very close to a new business in Oia, the Lioyerma Cafe/Pool where those staying where a pool isn't offered can go for a swim and to enjoy the sunset and a snack at the same time.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 05:30 AM

jenn, sorry for hijacking your post

brotherleelove, the pool at lioyerma looks great and would really open up the options for staying in Oia (we discounted a few hotels because they didn't have a pool, so may need to re-visit now).

We're planning on going to Oia in early september - have you any idea how much it costs to use the lioyerma pool? (and do you have any other insider information - do we have to be there early to get loungers etc

thanks a million

jane
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM

I agree, its a great addition to Oia's amenities. I wish I'd though of it!

It's my understanding that there is no charge for the use of the pool but you will be expected to purchase food and drink from the cafe in exchange. This may change as time passes and the pool catches on, but as of now that's the policy.

There are plenty of loungers, and by September it won't be so busy. It's really only full from about an hour before sunset until dark anyway.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM

brilliant - thanks a million
jane
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM

Hi everybody,
I've been offered accommodation at Nina's house in August. Reading the above, I'm a bit confused about which one it is - Has anyone used it? Is it good? I'd be brateful for any information - and I'll report back after I've been there......!
Chris