Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Forgive me if this is a repeated post: New security rules banning all liquids, gels etc on all flights ...

Search

Forgive me if this is a repeated post: New security rules banning all liquids, gels etc on all flights ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

within and into the US..possibly even more broad than that.

UPDATED PROCEDURES WHEN FLYING OUT OF DFW INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is implementing new security measures to ensure the security of the traveling public and the Nation's transportation system.
Close-in Airport Parking remains available; however, note the following immediate change:

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.

Before you travel:
• Leave items such as water, lotions, etc. in your vehicles and do not bring them through the checkpoint.

• Note that the sale of these types of items may be limited at DFW Airport’s shops & restaurants

• Arrive early in case the security checkpoints have longer lines

For complete details, visit the TSA’s web site at http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm.

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Thanks for letting us know what 25 other posts are already telling us today.

Uh, what exactly are wearers of contact lenses, or people using prescription eye drops or other liquid forms of prescription medicines supposed to do?

BC

I guess they have to walk. And they need to do that soon, before the government prohibits walking, too (after all, terrorists walk!).
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Gee SAPS - since I'm working and only had a minute, I couldn't scan the other posts. I'm glad you thought it necessary to tell me about the posts since I did apologize in advance in case it was a duplicate. Brilliant advice from you..
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I heard on the news this morning....(NPR)
"All liquids are banned from planes. Only baby formula will be allowed - but only if a parent agrees to drink some first".
Im not joking.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Your welcome. The time it took you to cut and paste was more than enough time to see that currently there are several threads in the top 10 of both the US and Europe boards giving the exact information that you just provided. Not to mention every news network in the country.

By the way...what was my advice?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I have a dollar that some of these restrictions will be modified in a couple of weeks.
You need eyedrops? Put the eyedrops in at security...
You need nasal moisturizers? Give it a squeeze at security...
If toddlers can take a juice can, why can we old folks take Pepto-Bismal?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Ok---what am I not understanding about lipstick??? How can that be injected with bomb making stuff?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Actually this is good information since most of the other posts have been about new regulations when flying OUTSIDE of the US TO the US.

Thanks sandi
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM

If I were WalMart, I'd be investigating the possiblity of getting a license to operate kiosks on the sidesalk outside of every airport terminal, selling shampoo, toothpaste, bottled water, etc.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Bookchick - as I read it, the prescription liquids will have your name on them that will be teh same as the name on your ticket...
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM

One question has not been discussed. Now, that additional liquids are not allowed on-board, will they still watch out for the couch passengers trying to illegaly use the 1st class lavatories?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I guess you can check in the contact lens solutions if they still allow that! Otherwise, find a store that sells them and whatever else you need upon arrival. Hopefully there are stores that carry these items and they are not closed when you arrive.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

that was my point saps...you offered nothing to the thread. At least I was trying to help. Did you respond with such help on the other threads as well? Did they get reprimanaded by you because they failed to notice other posts? We're just trying to help.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:59 AM

missypie, I thought that too.
Those with contacts might have to dig out a pair of glasses.

Accordings to my newspaper, no paperbacks either??
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

As of this morning, there's nothing on the TSA website that mentions banning paperbacks or ipods, laptops etc.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM

TSA has posted new Q and A's on their website regarding prohibited and permissible items-which you can read here:

tsa-7.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tsa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Books, eyeglasses, and electronic items are permissible on all flights leaving the US-it is only UK flights where such items are banned, along with nearly everything else.

Lip gloss, lipstick, deodorant-to be on the safe side, should be checked. There is inevitably going to be a certain amount of discretion exercised by TSA security personnel depending on which checkpoint you use. If an item appears to be anything other than powder, best to put it in checked baggage, if you don't want to give it up at the checkpoint, or have the TSA personnel take it out and examine the contents.

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM
bellastarr

I wear contacts and will bring several contact lens holders with contacts in them instead of a bottle of solution. ALso a pair of glasses.
For dry lips, I will put a coat of chapstick and some petroleom jelly on before leaving.
I'll get thirsty, and hope they have water on board. No big deal to comply.

I saw Anderson Cooper on cable last night displaying some of the items that were supposed to be used to create explosive devices in this latest heinous scheme:
They included- an ipod, a disposable camera, a bottle of shampoo, baby formula, etc, etc. (one or two of the suspects are young pregnant women)

I'm just glad that I can still go!

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM

You're right Sandi, it was in this morning's paper and it was specifically about yesterday's flights from London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -