Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian Dolomite area ... best views and places to stay

Old Mar 24th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm setting out for a 2.5 day outing to the Dolomites (after 10 days in Lithuania and 7 days biking near Venice). I'll be traveling by train to the Dolomites and am deciding the area to stay in. I'd love to do easy hiking, enjoy the vistas and do some writing. I've narrowed it down to San Genesio vs. Renon. Any advice?
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 07:37 PM

I've spent many vacations on the Renon dating back to 1962, the most recent in 2012, so I obviously love it there! I've also stayed in other villages around the Dolomites. While there has been a lot of growth in recent years, there is still a lot of the traditional character. One thing I love is that it is a plateau and you are looking down into the valley and across to the Dolomite ranges of the Latemar, Rosengarten and Schlern. The villages have grown but you can easily walk into the countryside and go village to village or to inns to eat. It is quite low key and people go there to walk. For the most part, the walks are pretty easy - but beautiful. There is a cable car up to Sobrabolzano from Bolzano and a trolley train that runs along the plateau between villages. It is not as dramatic as some villages deeper into the Dolomites, but it is easily accessible without a car and the season lasts through October.

As for San Jenesien, I have only been there once to walk the plateau above the village but the weather and visibility wasn't that good. It is a much, much quieter place than the Soprabolzano-Collalbo area and more limited accommodation.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 08:15 PM

Hiking the Dolomites was our favorite trip of all. We had our base in Ortesei and stayed at the Grones hotel. It was a fabulous location and the lodging and food outstanding. We will definitely go back!!
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 11:22 PM

We spent a week also staying in ortisei and loved it. Taking the lifts up to the mountains gives fantastic views. Here are our photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gir...7636058614266/
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 01:33 AM

ttt
Old Mar 26th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. How would I travel with public transportation from Verona, Italy? If I were going to Renon, I'd take the train to Bolzano and the cable car up. What about Ortessi? or San Jenesien?
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 07:53 PM

For Ortisei you would take a bus. The bus station is about a 3 minute walk from the Bolzano train station, but the buses stop at the train station too. If I remember correctly it is about an hour.

You can get bus schedules from this website:
http://www.sad.it
(doesn't look like the English version works. There are several buses to Ortisei every hour.

This website gives you info on getting to Jenesien.
http://www.jenesien.net/en/jenesien-anreise.php