Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   For Vermeer lovers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/for-vermeer-lovers-1703608/)

hetismij2 Dec 2nd, 2021 03:01 AM

For Vermeer lovers

and hopefully in a less restricted world:
https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...st-of-its-kind

10 February 2023 to 4th June 2023, biggest collections of Vermeers in one place, probably for the last time ever. Not all of them, some are too fragile to travel, but certainnly (hopefully?) more than the 23 shown in 1996 at the Mauritshuis.

Vttraveler Dec 2nd, 2021 03:48 AM

This sounds like a wonderful exhibit. I am sending to my good friend who is a Vermeer lover and has the Netherlands on her list of places she most wants to visit. Thanks for posting

HappyTrvlr Dec 2nd, 2021 04:07 AM

Thanks,Heti. A trip to The Netherlands to see this exhibit would be wonderful to have on my calendar.

goddesstogo Dec 2nd, 2021 04:10 AM

Every time Vermeer is mentioned here, I feel obligated to remind people about the fascinating documentary called Tim's Vermeer.
I'm not sure where you can find it at this point but it's certainly worth looking for.

AnselmAdorne Dec 2nd, 2021 04:40 AM

Thanks, hetismij. This will be an astounding exhibition.

amyb Dec 2nd, 2021 04:48 AM

I woke to this news on my social feed this morning. I'm hearing it's 24 Vermeers. Mauritshuis confirmed all of theirs are going. I became friendly with an art historian in Amsterdam during the pandemic, I'm off to write him to see what he knows. He works out of the Rijksmuseum, so he ought to know more. Please let this damn pandemic be over so we can get back out there for things like this!

hetismij2 Dec 2nd, 2021 04:53 AM

Whether Tim's Vermeer technique is right or not, it is still astounding that someone in the 17th century could use such technology, which then seemingly was forgotten until Tim Jennison came along with Penn and Teller. There has long been speculation about him using a camera obscura of course.
It won't stop me going and enjoying the exhibition and the paintings, whether using "modern" technology or artistic talent or a combination of the two.

is one place you can find it.

goddesstogo Dec 2nd, 2021 05:01 AM

Oh, that would never stop me from loving the paintings any more than it would any artist using whatever new 'technology' existed for them in terms of materials.
Vermeer aside, it was a fascinating documentary about light and vision.

WeisserTee Dec 2nd, 2021 05:04 AM

Thanks! We have a trip tentatively planned to Brussels and Paris in late winter/spring 2022 -- perhaps we could squeeze in a couple of days in Amsterdam or Delft. Or even a day trip (my husband is not a fan of Amsterdam, so he might stay behind in Delft).

AGM_Cape_Cod Dec 2nd, 2021 06:06 AM

I am going to Amsterdam with a Vermeer lover in April 2022. Maybe there will be another trip in 2023. Thanks for posting this.

TDudette Dec 2nd, 2021 06:11 AM

Thanks for this, heti. I agree about Tim's Vermeer movie...very interesting. FWIW, Canaletto used the camera obscuro also. A Vermeer GTG would be very nice!

kswl3 Dec 2nd, 2021 08:24 AM

I love Vermeer,and loved seeing some of his works for the first time in the Netherlands in 1970. I missed The Girl with the Pearl Earring when it was at the de Young in San Francisco but have one of their street banners announcing the exhibition hanging in our sunroom. The opposite side has the dates of the exhibit and the de Young name; these lined the street in front of the museum and were hung on standards so both sides could be seen, one from each direction. You can see it in the background below; it's my favorite thing in the room.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...14ecb1f1fb.jpg

KTtravel Dec 2nd, 2021 08:24 AM

Thanks for posting this. I just told my husband we should pencil this in for possible travel in 2023. Perhaps we'll all see each other there?!

Hershey Dec 2nd, 2021 08:41 AM

Oh, I'm definitely there! Thanks!

semiramis Dec 2nd, 2021 10:03 AM

I was very taken with Vermeer when I was in the Netherlands many years ago. I would LOVE to see this exhibit - sighs....

BetsyG Dec 2nd, 2021 01:55 PM

I am very interested. Hoping to do a tulip river cruise in spring, 2023. This would fit right in. If anyone hears anything about getting tickets, please post it here.

Coquelicot Dec 2nd, 2021 04:25 PM

We saw 21 Vermeers at the National Gallery in Washington about 25 years ago. The exhibit was packed and it was almost impossible to get a good look at each one. I'm sure the crowds will be even worse for the 2023 show. I'm going to put it on my calendar anyway.

Treesa Dec 2nd, 2021 05:16 PM

Thank you. Adding this to my bucket list.

gruezi Dec 3rd, 2021 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Coquelicot (Post 17310783)
We saw 21 Vermeers at the National Gallery in Washington about 25 years ago. The exhibit was packed and it was almost impossible to get a good look at each one. I'm sure the crowds will be even worse for the 2023 show. I'm going to put it on my calendar anyway.

The crowds are what came to mind for me, too.

Last time I was at the Rijksmuseum (many years ago now) it was under renovation and only some of the collection was on exhibit. I also recall the Van Gogh Museum being physically unappealing. But, the actual art I saw in Amsterdam was breathtaking and still imprinted in my visual memory. Possibly this exhibit is worth braving the crowds and the bachelor parties etc. to visit again.

betsy - tying it in with tulips would be an embarrassment of riches! Hope you can get there.

Thanks for sharing this Heti.

hetismij2 Dec 3rd, 2021 06:31 AM

I fully expect it will be by timed ticket admission only to spread the crowds, just as a normal ticket is.
I love the van Gogh Museum, maybe you were thinking of the Stedelijk which is pug ugly?