Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For UK'ers/Londoners...how busy is Mayors Thames Festival?

Aug 14th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thought I posted this earlier, but can't find the post...so please I apologize if I missed any responses...

Will be in London the weekend of September 16, the Mayor's Thames Festival...will this be a very congested event, am I crazy to plan the Tower of London on that Saturday or will it be a festive time not to be missed? We have 3 children ages 11, 8 & 7 and it looks like fun...anyone been?

Tara
Aug 15th, 2006, 01:45 AM

the mayors festival is great and not to be missed - the parade anyway. I went on the 3rd year that it was on and it was large scale and spectacular, but with much less of a crowd than at the usual London calendar events (1 million for New Years day parade, up to 2 million for Notting Hill Carnival) - only a few hundred lining the route. It has progressively gotten bigger and bigger though, now turning into an all day affair with numerous activities at different sites. However, NOT TO BE missed is the parade, they'll have a water borne theme, the usual kind of floats and local organisation/ charity trucks, a Caribbean carnival style section, a Brazilian Carnival style section - its spectacular the difference in how theyre so flamboyant - the Brazilians use headresses and capes and formation troupes, the Caribs use giant constructions around a single dancer, some 20 feet high, they dance differently too to different styles of music, though now united by what is called 'soca' a fusion of reggae and soul and samba.

However the best part will be the giant glowing lantern floats - when I was there there was one of a swimming fat lady, with moving arms and legs the size of a truck. The parade will have a specific time near dusk, its one of the few parades designed for the dark and is pretty magic for kids, they'll love it. Its much smaller than either the New Years or Notting Hill parades, but thats part of the appeal to be honest.

My advice is do the tower during the day but have enough time to catch the parade at dusk - do find the location and time for it, and get there early to find a nice spot and to avoid the crowds, bring a stand up 'picnic' for the wait.
Aug 15th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

http://www.thamesfestival.org/progra...the%20Festival

Here's the scoop on it...

Tara
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM

ma23pease. you can find any of the threads you've posted on by clicking on your name at the top of the page. I did post a comment on your earlier thread, which is at:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34853274
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link to the old thread...I use an internet explorer my software (obsessive and paranoid) engineer husband makes me use and somehow the search functions and pop-ups are haywire compared to when I use Internet Explorer...I searched for Mayor/Thames/Festival/UK and it never came up....thanks for the heads up...I think it'll be a nice time for the kids to enjoy London.

Thanks! Oh! We got our ceremony of the keys tickets today!!! YAHOO!!! So we may actually see Tower of London on Thursday instead...some reshifting on my days out!

Tara