Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > For those who've been to Croatia, I am looking for advice on where to stay around Istria

For those who've been to Croatia, I am looking for advice on where to stay around Istria

Aug 8th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

For those who've been to Croatia, I am looking for advice on where to stay around Istria

My husband and I are in the midst of planning our first trip to Croatia/Slovenia trip for March or early April of next year. We would like to spend 3 nights around the Istrian peninsula and were at first considering Pula. However, I have since read a few reviews on Pula being more industrial, and we would prefer to stay somewhere a little more quaint. We would definitely like to visit Pula but are now considering basing ourselves in Opatija instead, as it sounds more charming. Would this be a good base? Any other recommendations? Our next leg of the trip will be in Trogir, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Tracy
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM

I found Opatija very charming, more so than its neighbor Rijeka. But both would make a good visit for a day or two. Try for a hotel overlooking the Adriatic. Good luck.
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Opatija is a lovely town with gorgeous views of the Adriatic; and it is part of the walkway that connects the other smaller towns along the coastal area, so you can walk or hop a bus for a new site or lunch/dinner.
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful. Thank you both so much for your help. That was exactly what I was looking for. And if anyone has any hotel recs for Opatija, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Tracy
Aug 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Tracy--look into the Admiral or the Kvarner hotels.
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Hi
We were on Istria 2 yrs ago. I can't recall the names of the two hotels we stayed in but they were very nice. The first was in Porec and the second in Rovenj. They were both hotels that you could buy half board. The first we did not buy supper, just breakfast, the second hotel we enjoyed so much that we stayed there twice. The second time we took the half board and it was worth it. Both hotels were short walking distances from the towns. We would walk to sightsee and have lunch and dinner. We drove to Trogir, spent the night and realized that we enjoyed Istria better. It was part of Italy and in its archetecture and feel very Italian. It was also bilingual and food, especially seafood was great. Both hotels offered buffets at bkfst and supper, including some of the best antipastis and mussels. Both towns are very nice and the Adriatic and the Palm trees, while drinking a beer were perfect.
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Rovinj, hands down. I stayed at the Adriatic Hotel, which was right in the town square. I would avoid the big hotels on the harbor. Pula is a short bus ride from Rovinj. You definitely want to take a day trip there to see the archeological sites (and eat lobster truffle ravioli!)
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM

We spent 3 days in Rovinj last fall and loved it! The Adriatic looked like the perfect hotel, but we couldn't get reservations because they said they would be closed for remodeling (but they looked open to us). Porec and Pula are easy day trips. We have been to Opatja briefly and it is totally different from Rovinj. It didn't seem to have the same sort of town center.
Aug 9th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for the great information. I haven't considered Rovinj, but due to the recommendations I will definitely look into it. I love trip planning but planning this trip to Croatia is a little overwhelming so I really do appreciate all the help.

aeiger, was there anything in particular that you didn't like about Trogir or was it that you just preferred Istria? We want to go to Trogir because we both really enjoy history and have our hearts set on seeing Diocletians Palace. However, reading posts like yours (and everyone elses!) makes me glad we rearranged our previous plans of only staying in Dalmatia to include Istria!

Thanks again!!
Tracy
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Hi
Trogir, itself is very historic and beautiful. It was smaller than we thought and very crowded with tourists. We were there at the end of september and thought it would be less crowded. We stayed at a similar type hotel as in Istria, where we could have a supper buffet if we wanted. It was warm and the hotel had just shut down the a/c for the season. the hotel was full of Russian tourists and the quality of the food was poor. We also stayed 2 nights when 1 would have been sufficient to see Trogir. The drive back and forth was 7hrs each way. [though now there is a motorway rather than the 2 lane.] It recently opened. The pace of life on Istria was more relaxed, more Italian [I called it Italy on the cheap]. In Porec, there's a really great pizza place called Nono, the Croatian food is heavier but good. If you get a chance, check out the Eyewitness guide to Croatia. It was helpful, along with the Footprints guide. I would go back to Istria in a heartbeat.
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM

We stayed at Valsabbion...just outside Pula. Beautiful little hotel...with a terrific restaurant....lovely views!!
www.valsabbion.net
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:54 AM

We stayed in Piran at the Hotel Tartini. The town is quite cute with a lovely oval "square" in marble and a waterfront and harbor. Lots of narrow medieval streets. The hotel while nothing special is acceptable and best of all directly on the square.
Jan 9th, 2006, 12:26 AM

Hi,my husband and I stayed in Opatija for 7 days and it was wonderful. The food, restuarants, service was great.Definitely recommend the Plavi Podroom (in Volosko - 5 minute walk along the sea from opatija).

We stayed in HOtel Galeb, directly opposite the Adriatic. It was heaps better than the larger hotels as it had a balcony and the service was great. The cost for 7 nights was around 700 euro(back in June 2004). Shouldnt be much more.Do a search on google and ask for a discount when paying cash.

Cheers and goodluck!

Search this Thread