Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   For those who use Marriott points in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/for-those-who-use-marriott-points-in-paris-691997/)

Tobis309 Mar 28th, 2007 04:41 PM

For those who use Marriott points in Paris

I have a friend choosing to use Marriott points in Paris for an upcoming trip..she is trying to decide between the Marriott on the Champs Elysee or the Renaissance near Vendome.
I don't have Marriott points, but my personal choice, for location reasons would be the Vendome area. Can anyone with Marriott experience advise, please?

Cicerone Mar 28th, 2007 05:29 PM

While the Marriott Champs Elysee is perfectly fine, personally, you would have to PAY ME to stay there. The hotel is a nice business-type Marriott hotel, but the location on the Champs is just awful, IMO. The Champs is very commercial, lots of Benetton's, McDonalds, and other chain stores, it's not really the elegant boulevard it once was. I also find the restaurants pretty average and extremely touristy.

My choice would be the Renaissance Vendome, which is just a lovely little modern boutique hotel. It is just behind Le Meurice hotel, so it in a great location near the Lourve and the Tuileries and quite near the very elegant Place Vendome full of expensive shops and the Ritz Hotel. Some good shops and very good restaurants are in the neighbourhood. The rooms are very sleek and modern (as opposed to the flowery chinz you find in many Paris hotels, or the very bland Marriott-style of the Marriott Champs), they tend to be on the small side, but are a good use of space. Flat screen TVs, DVD players, CD players, rooms have wireless capability as I recall. They have an indoor pool, sauna and steam room which is unusual for a Paris hotel. They have an excellent French-Asian fusion restaurant, Pinxo, which I would recco even if you don't stay here.

The other Marriott hotels, like the Courtyard Roissy, are a little too far out for me. There is also a Renaissance in La Defense, again I am not crazy about that location.

cafegoddess Mar 28th, 2007 06:39 PM

Ciceron,

Thanks for the info, we will be staying in the Renaissance Vendome in May. I was a little nervous about staying at the Renaissance because I have not stayed there, but I feel a little better. I chose this hotel for the location and I hope we get the suite with a balcony. Thanks again.

donnafon Mar 28th, 2007 06:56 PM

We actually stayed at the Renaissance for 7 nights in the Le Defence district. We are Marriott timeshare/point owners. La Defence was great. Literally 3 minutes out the lobby door to the subway and then within no time you are to the area you want to see. The hotel was very contemporary, immaculate. We enjoyed it very much. I would highly recommned it. Especially if you are using points and going for free.

Woody Mar 28th, 2007 07:05 PM

We've stayed at both the Marriott Champs Elysees and Renaissance Place Vendome many times using points. I would not hesitate staying again for free at either property.

Woody

Tobis309 Mar 29th, 2007 06:28 AM

Thank you all for the advice, I will be sure to pass it on.