Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For those who stayed at La Calcina in Venice...what's on their breakfast buffet?....has to do with a reluctant DH!

Search

For those who stayed at La Calcina in Venice...what's on their breakfast buffet?....has to do with a reluctant DH!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's why I want to know! Including Venice on our trip is a priority for me...not my DH. I was planning on staying at La Calcina but am considering Locanda Orseolo because of all the wonderful comments about their breakfast. DH loves breakfast and this would be a surprise for him! We're traveling off season which makes Locanda Orseolo more affordable.

So, should I change hotels and as DH is enjoying a wonderful breakfast, I'll hand him a list of churches (he loves wandering in them) and all will be well!!

An afterthought...we'll be there in February (not during the carnavel), would one be a better location at that time?

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 07:55 AM

Travelfan1-the location of Locanda Orseolo, in San Marco, is, IMO, better than La Calcina, which is located on the Zattere,(a waterfront promenade). In other words, La Calcina is situated on the back end of Dorsoduro facing Giudecca, (consult a map to see what I mean). It's a much further walk than the ideally located Locanda Orseolo, which is in the heart of Venice's San Marco district, yet in a very Venetian area-a few minutes walk to Rialto as well.

Of course the vaporetto stop is just down the Zattere very close to La Calcina, but I still think it is a bit far, and I see nothing but tourists on the Zattere (was walking around down by La Calcina last week) and it takes more time to get to some of the sights, even by vaporetto.

And of course, at LO you'll meet the proprietors, Matteo and Barbara, two of the loveliest, most helpful people-these two really ought to get some tourism award in Venice-they are wonderful ambassadors for their city. As you know, LO is known for its breakfasts, -you'll be there in low season, (although Venice's low season anymore is not very low), you'll be able to walk to most of the sights from your and then easily reach your hotel for a rest, or to take any purchases back to your hotel before setting out again, (which is something I like to do), so I really think this is where you'd want to be. You'll be able to stroll around the Piazza San Marco in the evenings and early morning and be back at your hotel in minutes-plus the great luxury shopping thoroughfare in Venice- Calle XXII Marzo is right there.

Understand, I'm not knocking La Calcina at all, my Parisian friend who lives in Venice recommends it to his French friends who visit-but I think your husband will be bowled over by the hospitality of the Venetians at LO, the charm of the rooms, (not to mention the famed breakfasts) and the ideal location.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:13 AM

Travelfan1 - We stayed at La Calcina in October 2005. Their breakfasts were perfect for us, but not as extensive as the breakfasts Locanda Orseolo serves, from what I've read here about it. We didn't find it to be far from most sights. Venice seemed pretty compact. But it is right on the water & I'm guessing it would be a lot colder than Locanda Orseola in winter.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:28 AM
RJD

Stayed at La Calcina twice. Enjoyed the ample breakfast buffet both times. And I love the location, an easy and interesting walk to the San Marco.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM

I'm a big fan of La Calcina, and love the location on the Guidecca Canal. I've been there in July, however, and the advantage of the hotel is that it's close enough to walk to everything yet just out of the major tourist pathways. It's a charming, light and airy hotel, comfortable room, modern bathrooms. The breakfast (circa 1998) was ample, though the website today smaller than I remember; now it looks like it's primarily baked goods and drinks. I would say that the advantages of La Calcina are maximized in warmer weather, though. I have wonderful memories of sitting on the deck in front of the hotel for breakfast. And there's the private outdoor space on top of the hotel that commands a lovely vista.

So, given that you are going in February, I would think that Locanda Orseolo might fit your needs better; it does look lovely and if your husband will be a happier traveler with a more extensive breakfast, then that should help you guide your decision. While I do love La Calcina (and you won't go wrong if you do go there), it does sound like Orseolo might be a better choice.
Paule
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:53 AM

Cheeses, cold cuts, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, cereal, fruit, pastries, toast, juices, great cappucino. It is your typical European breakfast. Everything is served in their dining room, which is very quaint and warm.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:06 AM

I'm not sure if MCG was describing breakfast at LaCal or LO but I also am a big fan of LaCal and I cannot imagine what more you might want for breakfast. They also will cook eggs to your specifications including omelets which were very good. You will not find waffles or pancakes there but I can't recall ever seeing these in Italy. We were at LaCal April 2006 and have reservations there for early November.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:43 PM

Let's see, Girlspytravel, the Zattere is full of tourists unlike San Marco and the Rialto. My, Venice has certainly changed since my last visit. (Anybody know an emoticon for sarcasm?)
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:58 PM

Mimar-I don't feel particularly nasty tonight, but since you do, then please go right ahead. The Zattere has nothing but tourists around, that's not true for all parts of San Marco, there are neighborhoods, like around Campo San Luca, Calle dei Fabbri-that are quite Venetian-Locanda Orseolo is in such a little pocket. Like I've said before, it's not true that San Marco is all tourists-there are Venetian neighborhoods actually in San Marco that are not so touristed. I can't say the same for the Zattere.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Motor City - I'm going to assume that's La Calcina's breakfast in which case that would be fine since it's more then just baked goods and juice.

Thank you all for your input. I may decide on Locanda because of the time of year...originally had this trip scheduled for June and would have enjoyed sitting on La Calcina's deck.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:37 AM

T-fan:
I haven't been following your threads, but I just want to throw in another possibility. We were there last February and got a fabulous deal at Foscari Palace: 130 euro for a superior double. The room was fabulous. Terrace w/ side view of the Grand Canal. Jacuzzi shower in a gorgeous bathroom. But as much as anything, I appreciated their breakfast...eggs, bacon, etc...along with all the typical euro breakfast choices. This hotel was the highlight of our trip.

We reserved in November for a February stay. The photos here do NOT do it justice. It's quite modern (as modern as an old palazzo can be).
http://www.thegiannettihotelsgroup.c...scari/home.asp
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM

Well, Girlspytravel, I think perhaps you were exaggerating to prove your point. Is the grocery store/market no longer on the Zattere? It seemed to have plenty of locals. Also we took the vaporetto along the Zattere to avoid the crowded boats on the Grand Canal.

You're right that there are quiet neighborhoods tucked in around San Marco. But there's such a tourist crush in Piazza San Marco and the Rialto, that some tourists wander through those neighborhoods if only because they're lost.

So while I agree your suggestion of the Locanda Orseolo is the best one, you might be misleading others slightly as to the character of Venetian neighborhoods in order to support your view.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:29 AM

Yes, the gocery store is there there on the Zattere.

I stayed at La Calcina last May and loved the location. Breakfast was ample for me and I enjoyed having it on the deck.

Monica
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love La Calcina and have stayed there twice. But in wintertime I think I might choose the more central location and highly regarded Locanda Orseolo for your purposes.

Much of what I like at La Calcina was related to warm weather, sitting on the deck over the water for breakfast, using the private rooftop patio in the afternoons, walking the promonade along the Guidecca shipping canal.

travelfan1- The breakfast is ample and more than pastries. Ham, cheese, stewed prunes, yogurt, hot chocolate or coffee, etc.

There are plenty of local people who live in Zattere. Lots of apartments there. And yes I know this for a fact because they are at the grocery store and post office, when I go there.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Jeanne - Wow!!!....You got a great deal! According to their website the double superior rooms are 280 Euro. I'll definitely contact them and see what rate they give me. Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:35 AM

Like I said, we didn't book until late Nov. (maybe even Dec or Jan?). If they quote a higher rate now, write them again closer to your trip (assuming you can cancel elsewhere). The hotel was more than half empty when we were there.
They have a "soiree" several nights a week. A costumed trio played chamber music while the hotel passed out free champagne and hors douvres----as we watched snow falling on the Grand Canal. Sigh.

I would probably check other high end hotels, too, as the time gets closer. Who knows what you may come up with?!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:31 AM

travelfan1, sorry, yes I was talking about La Calcina. Answering the question in the title. Enjoy!