Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   For those who have stayed ath the Hotel de Lutece..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/for-those-who-have-stayed-ath-the-hotel-de-lutece-405211/)

talexander Mar 1st, 2004 04:17 AM

For those who have stayed ath the Hotel de Lutece.....

Alright, I know the rooms are small-but just what does that mean? I will be spending a week in a twin room in this hotel in May with my mother. Guides de Charme (french version ) suggests that it is best to have a room on the upper floor- they suggest 661 as the largest and 662 as the sunniest. The english version suggests that it is best to be on the courtyard side which strangely is not mentioned at all in the french version. Does anyone have any suggestions as to room selection at this hotel and exactly how "small" I should expect? I have lived and studied in Paris but my hotel experience has been confined to larger "family" rooms to accommodate my children, and one forgettable experience at Residence Monceau about 13 years ago. Any input would be appreciated.

Scarlett Mar 1st, 2004 04:43 AM

We stayed on the 5th floor, overlooking the street. Two twin beds pushed together, not much room to manuever and there was no actual closet. The bathroom however, was huge.
There are two windows that you can sit on the ledge and look out over the rooftops of Paris..lovely.
The room had an a/c unit.
There is one more floor, you must walk up winding stairs to it, beamed ceiling and largest in the hotel but I am unsure of how large that is..since ours was supposed to be large too.
I don't know if I would want to share a room that size with anyone other than my husband.
But then again, consider how much time you spend in your room.

talexander Mar 3rd, 2004 03:14 PM

ttt

SoBeTraveller Mar 4th, 2004 01:02 PM

Average room size is perhaps 12x15, with an adjoining bathroom, and are a bit old fashion but very much Paris. The staff is nice, and breakfast is basically rolls and coffee, with juice. Location is very good, close to the Left Bank and easy access to the Marais and 1st arrondisement. Nice ambience, and very much Paris in spirit and feel. Have stayed there twice and enjoyed it, and have another coming up this year. Good choice.

Marilyn Mar 4th, 2004 01:52 PM

We stayed there last spring and I was expecting the worst as far as room size. I was pleasantly surprised, but when I remarked that the room was not as small as expected, the manager told me we had one of the largest rooms. However, it wasn't "large" by any means, and had a double bed so not really relevant to your situation.

I think we were on the 4th floor, facing the front. A room facing the courtyard might have a view of Notre Dame (it's in that general direction).

In any case, we loved the hotel, the location, and the breakfast, and would definitely stay there again.