Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For the consideration of those who have found the Trip Advisor reviews to be inconsistent:

Search

For the consideration of those who have found the Trip Advisor reviews to be inconsistent:

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently there was much debate on these boards regarding the reliability and veracity of Trip Advisor reviews. Here is another take on the topic:

McSweeney's Internet Tendency: TripAdvisor.com Reviews: Jekyll & Hyde B&B.

(Below is the actual link.. above is the title of the piece.)

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2006/11/17hahn.html
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM

That is funny -

I am actually a huge fan of Trip Advisor, I've not been disappointed yet by one of the hotels I've chosen from reading the site. I was disappointed in one hotel this year in London (Copthorne Tara) that I Pricelined, that is one of those Jekyll-Hyde type places.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM

And I was quite pleased with the Copthorne Tara when I stayed there a week last summer (also Pricelined). Go figure!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:25 PM

>>And I was quite pleased with the Copthorne Tara when I stayed there a week last summer (also Pricelined). Go figure!<<

There are some hotels that truly are a jekyll/hyde! I questioned on my review on Trip Advisor if perhaps there were nice rooms, and not as nice rooms. I know that our room was dusty (including on the try with the drinking glasses), we had single beds (my sheets had something on them, not sure what!) The bathroom wasn't in great shape, and the room felt like it came from the 80's. Perhaps there are newer rooms (the lobby was nice, and the staff seemed fine).

All the hotels I chose (i.e. - didn't Priceline) were great, I spent a lot of time researching - but the B&B we stayed at during the beginning of our trip wasn't available for our last night when we got back to London.

Trip Advisor would be in my top 10 sites.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM

Oops, I hit reply too soon~

I love this site too, for the boards (I like that the Europe stuff is mixed, I learn a lot about other places!) But for the reviews and such, Trip Advisor is great.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM

I had great luck with them last July when Boston hotel canceled at last minute due to large school tour group.

To late to find anything in my price range in Boston ended up in Providence RI. Great small hotel close to everything, bus, train etc. Worked out fine.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM

It may have made a great difference with me when I booked the first night separately in an 'Conneseur' (sp) room, and then agreed to upgrade our whole week to that room for an extra £10 a night. It was a fairly spacious, clean, modern room with a nice view, about 8 stories up.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Syl

Socialworker.Where do you practise as I share your profession?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM

I'd much rather live in a world with Tripadvisor than without it. In general, I've found the reviews to be spot-on. And it's helped me avoid hotels I've heard horror stories about from others.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM

I consider it one of my first post-trip duties to post a report on Trip-Advisor. In evaluating the rankings there, I look for a consensus. I'll throw out one that seems picky, but if there is a trend one way or the other, I pay attention.

Earlier this year, on the basis of a recommendation here on Fodors, I booked a room in Arhus, Denmark, that turned out to be shockingly bad. I just now re-checked my horrified review on TripAdvisor, and I found some poor soul had fallen into the same snare as I did - something he or she would surely have avoided had my post on TripAdvisor been read:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s_Jutland.html
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM

One of the first things I do as well is to post on Trip Advisor. I wish everyone did, but I do consider it something I should do, to keep the ball rolling (and to either point out a great place, or hopefully save someone from a bad one).

I balance out the price and the reviews. I don't need a #1 review. The hotel I chose in Paris this trip was #49 or so, but out of 1200 hotels. And it was very well priced. The B&B was #1 in the London area, and extremely low priced for what we received. We had a great place in Edinburgh. I can't imagine what type of hotels we might have gotten without Trip Advisor. TA makes it much less of a crapshoot, I feel very informed when I am done choosing hotels.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM

Green Dragon - that may have been the difference. Our room was definitely not modern! After reading the reviews on TA (after getting the CT on Priceline), I was concerned because there were such mixed reviews. I once stayed at a Hyatt that was like half renovated, and half REALLY old looking - older than my room at the Copthorne, it was 1999 or so and everything was completely 80's, including the phone. I Pricelined, so I got stuck in the 80's. Not that I don't love the 80', but not in my hotel room.

It was a bed for each of us for one night, but I'd not have been as happy to be there for a week. I did love having the Marks and Spencer food hall so close, though!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Well, needless to say, I posted this more for its incredibly funny content and eerily accurate feel of Trip Advisor posts than as an actual commentary on TA. I just thought that many Fodorites would enjoy the humor.

However, when I was new to this board in '04, some TA posts really scared me into almost cancelling a reservation for a hotel in Pars. I realized after that trip, that the experience that two different guests have in the same establishment can be as different as night and day, and that all TA posts, good and bad, have to be taken as a snapshot--so to speak--of one person's experience and opinion. It is useful, but may not tell the whole story.

On a separate note, I encourage anyone who enjoys a good laugh, to click on the URL in the original post.

Syl, I work in the Boston area....
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM
ira

Thanks for the link, S.

funny.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:11 AM

That's funny socialworker.
I do check Tripadvisor, but don't always post myself; should do this more often. Sometimes the reviews are quite hysterical, as in 'THERE WAS A STAIN ON THE CARPET!!!'. And once I did not recognize a hotel where we have happily stayed many times, so I posted a reply to that bad review.
But overall it is a great resource for travellers.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:22 AM

I think it is a great resource overall. I'm not sure people would always be able to avoid the bad experiences, especially if the review they discount is the one which was poor!