room temperature)

1/2 cup sugar

1 pound of mascarpone

16 ounce container of cool whip

6 squares of semi-sweet chocolate

3 tablespoons of cocoa powder

3 tablespoons of instant coffee

NEW EASY DIRECTIONS

1.Beat yellow egg yolks and sugar untill creamy looking.

2.Add 1/2 cup of coffee/rum mix to beaten egg yolks.

3. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.

4.Mix up yellow egg yolk mixture , marscarpone, 8 ounces of cool whip*, 3 tablespoons instant coffee

*Start with putting 8 ounces of cool whip in eggs, marscapone,instant coffee mix , then taste.

If it is not creamy or light enough, then add up to 4 more ounces of cool whip. Don't use all 16oz. - the tiramisu will not be quite sweet enough.

5.Fold(stir gently, not beat hard) the egg whites into the yellow
egg/marscarpone mixture.

6.Quickly dip the ladyfingers one at a time into coffee/rum mixture and
cover the bottom of pan with them.

7.Pour half the marscarpone mixture on top of the ladyfingers.

8.Top with the chopped chocolate.

9.Then cover the chocolate with another layer of ladyfingers dipped in
coffee/rum.

10.Then add the rest of the marscarpone cream, and top with a little
sprinkled cocoa powder.

Refrigerate or freeze.

If you can't find Marscarpone cheese, you can make this:

8 ounces of cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 1/2 tablespoon sour cream

beat with mixer until smooth

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:22 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to break in, Sally, but "Cool Whip"?
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:28 AM

And rum? Tiramisu uses Marsala wine!

and instant coffee??!!
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 05:02 AM

Cool Whip ??? Rum ?? I'm stunned...
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Cool whip? Too funny. Rhum ios fine though. You can use whatever liquor you prefer. Here in Siena we use brandy, my family up north uses rhum, I also like using nocino which we make using walnuts that are taken from the tree on June 24th. My husband does this so I haven't a clue but I know they are not cleaned like what you would find in the stores.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is a very delicious adaptation of an Italian recipe for tiramisu by an Italian man who worked with my husband for the past seven years. He took his Southern Italian(Bari) sister's original recipe and added the cool whip ( yes, I thought that was funny, too) to make the tiramisu lighter.

You do use regular coffee to mix with the rum; the instant coffee is for the purpose of sprinkling on the top along with the cocoa powder to give it a slightly more coffee flavor.

I looked in THE CLASSIC ITALIAN COOKBOOK by Julia Della Croce, and yes,dark rum is part of the traditional recipe. Antonio said that his sister also uses a liqueur to mix with the mascarpone, but that he doesn't like it made that way.
Antonio made this tiramisu many times for our friends and relatives, and he was always asked to make this for office parties. He told me once that he got a little tired of being asked to bring a dish of tiramisu everywhere he was invited!

Before Antonio returned to Rome for a new job, he came over and made tiramisu with me to make sure I understood exactly how to do it. My husband videotaped him doing it, and it is hilarious to watch! He would forget he was on video and put his finger in it to taste and make sure it was just right.

He also cooked delicious pizza and pasta dishes and taught me to make bruschetta. I am sure that what he especially missed about living in the US was not having Italian food. Now he has a job in Rome, and we are looking forward to visiting him there in a few weeks!

I got the directions for making a substitution for mascarpone off the internet one time when I couldn't find mascarpone at any store! We live in a small Louisiana town!

By the way, there are many versions of tiramisu. It is made of leftover cake, a cream filling, and alcohol. This version is especially good because it has a layer of grated chocolate in the middle.
I have had tiramisu very similar to this one in several restaurants in Rome.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 07:22 AM
ira

Hi sally,

As long as you realize that Cool Whip isless than authentic, it's all right.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Excuse me, I am from distant shores. What on earth in Cool Whip??
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Cool Whip is the fifth state of matter. It's neither solid nor liquid, but somewhere in between.

Although it's not well received in Tiramasu, I certainly miss it, as there is no substitute in Germany. The closest thing here is a thing called Speise Quark, which really isn't close at all--too bland.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi toni,

Cool whip is a non-dairy whipped topping that has a consistency similar to whipped cream. It is made from hydrogenated vegetable fats and various other stuff.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 10:40 AM

You had me until I read Cool Whip - YUCK!!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Thanks a bunch Sally, for taking the time and trouble to post this recipe.

For those of you who were blown away by the Coolwhip, just substitue heavy cream, whipped, adding a total of 2 tsp sugar while whipping.

Marscapone *is* hard to find here too! Buy it when you are in a bigger town and it will freeze until you need to use it.

You are so lucky to have had Antonio's recipes and personal help. I have come home from Italy and then had to figure out all by myself how to try to recreate the delicious food that we enjoyed. But the internet does have a lot of help - so many recipes. So little time!
Thanks again, Sally, and keep cooking!
Carol
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

By the way, The tiramisu recipe from Antonio's sister did not originally have cool whip in it. He added it to give the tiramisu a lighter consistency, so of course you can make it leaving out the cool whip! "No problem," as Antonio would say!
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 01:34 AM

Vin Santo is another option. An Italian friend of mine economises by using a 50-50 mix of sweet sherry and a white table wine - it works pretty well.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:21 AM

What about Kaula? Would that work???
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM

Hi, Sally - Thanks so much for passing along Antonio's recipe. It sounds delicious. One nagging little question: Do you worry at all about using the uncooked eggs? (Sometimes I just long for the good old days when ignorance was bliss and we didn't have to be concerned about such things . . .)
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 06:16 PM

OWJ, Kalua? LOL, I have been trying to figure out what you meant..I thought it was something Hawaiian LOL

Is Cool Whip the stuff in tubs that is frozen? Or in the cans that are aerosol ? I used to scare my cat with the can, it hissed when you pushed the button before the whipped stuff came out. Yes, it can be fun to terrorize your cat with Cool Whip..

thanks Sally, this makes me want to taste Tiramisu again.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 11:10 PM

Hey Scarlett,
Either I've been nipping at the kalua or I just can't spell---should I let people guess which one is my problem

Cool Whip is sold frozen---it's that fat free or low fat 'whipped cream' stuff in that comes in plastic tubs. It's not the real stuff but doesn't stick to your hips. LOL
OWJ
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:28 AM

Sally, thanks for the clarification. I do not use cream in my recipe so it is much heavier but yummy all the same.

One thing though, you wrote: "and taught me to make bruschetta" You may want to cliarify this too as brusachetta is just grilled pieces of bread that are rubbed with garlic, drizzled with olive oil and topped with a bit of salt. Did you mean he taught you how to make toppings for bruschetta?