Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   For PB (or others) - lodging in Gordes vs St Remy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/for-pb-or-others-lodging-in-gordes-vs-st-remy-201824/)

Jeff R Apr 18th, 2002 08:29 AM

For PB (or others) - lodging in Gordes vs St Remy

Hi,<BR><BR>Thanks for your offer of help PB. So, that others might benefit, I am posting to the Board.<BR><BR>Curious for recommendations in both St Remy and Gordes in the $125-$175 range per night. My traveling companion suggested Le Phebus; I read some comments here and I understand it is just outside of Gordes. Any comments about: Le Phebus; Le Phebus versus other Gordes area choices; and Gordes versus St Remy would be appreciated. Again, bicycling is a key focus, so being somewhat "away from it all" isn't necessarily a bad thing.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Sue Apr 18th, 2002 08:38 AM

Area around Gordes is more hilly than St. Remy, if that's a factor.

Kim Apr 18th, 2002 09:02 AM

My husband and I just returned from France and stayed at La Maison in St. Remy. La Maison was amazing, beautiful, refreshing, friendly and the food was fabulous. I loved everything about it!

mimi taylor Apr 18th, 2002 09:06 AM

Hi Kim, welcome back, I saw a beautiful spread on Maison and other reports on the great food. I knew you would have a wonderful time.

Julie Apr 18th, 2002 09:16 AM

We preferred Gordes to St. Remy but the latter was hosting a festival complete with tacky small town carnival while we were there so my vision is colored by that. Gordes was a delight. We stayed at Les Romarins on the hill that looks back to the hill that Gordes is on. Views were terrific, especially in the morning when a mist coated the surrounding valley and made Gordes appear to be floating in the clouds. Les Romarins was very homey--actually felt like a house/home rather than a hotel. Had a parrot and big dog--also a small pool. Rooms were pleasant. They do not allow you to wash and hang things in the bathroom. Not sure why but if only there a night or two, this is no hardship. Has no restaurant. Owner sent us to Les Gacholles nearby. Food there was excellent. Nice view over the countryside though not over Gordes. It is also a hotel that posters on this site have spoken highly of. Looked very fun to me. Both are in the range you quoted. Do a search here and see if you can't bring up old threads on this subject. Use Gordes, St. Remy, Les Romarins, and Gacholle to search. While you're in Gordes don't miss dinner with Jean Michel Schmitt at Comptoir de Victueller or some such. A real character and great food.

Kim Apr 18th, 2002 09:49 AM

Thanks Mimi! Our trip was absolutely fabulous! I have been meaning to post tidbits about our trip and just seem like I never have the time. I am so grateful to many people who shared their insights who helped make our trip perfect. Thanks again!

Jeff R Apr 18th, 2002 05:58 PM

Thanks all!

PB Apr 19th, 2002 01:33 AM

Well, I've tried three times and no type of copy and paste technique works.<BR>One last try... and it didn't work again, so anyone is free to email me and I'll send the list via email. I just don't have time right now to retype it all in this little box !<BR>PB<BR><BR>

pam Apr 20th, 2002 11:40 AM

Kim. I would love to hear more about La Maison as I will be staying there in July. I would appreciate anything you can tell me about restaurants (besides the one in the hotel, which I understand is excellent) and any sights you especially enjoyed.<BR>Thank you so much.