Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For honeymoon looking at tremezzo palace will we wish stayed in bellagio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at tremezzo palace for second leg of honeymoon in lake como. Will we wish we stayed in bellagio to have more stuff going on?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest you do some research on sightseeing and other attractions in the mid-lake area and make a list of your priorities. Then check the ferry schedules and determine the logistics of hitting the things on your list. The most apparent issue is that you can't eat dinner in Bellagio or Varenna if you're sleeping in Tremezzo.

Here's the website for the ferry schedule (but note it currently shows only through May 2009).

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_ora.html
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM

I am contemplating a stay at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio. I've previously visited some of the common areas, and it's beautiful, right on the lake. Check out their website; it's very nice. My vote would be for Bellagio.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Both of the above hotels are 5 stars and expensive. I would offer a 3rd option at a nice 4 star on the west shore but right at the ferry dock to Bellagio---the G. H. Menaggio. The Tremezzzo is lovely but a bit by itself, except for Villa Carlotta.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM

There are very good restaurants in the Tremezzo area.

Here is my report; maybe it has some info that will help you decide. Lake Como is the last stop:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-much-else.cfm
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've mentioned the Grand Tremezzo many times on this site. It was one of our favorite places ever. To help the cost we took a room on the back side of the hotel overlooking the pool & gardens. It was perfect and a bit quieter as the front rooms overlooking the lake also have a road in front of them between the hotel & the lake.

There was a hill behind the hotel you could climb for a beautiful view, especially at sunset. Bellagio, across the lake just glowed at that time of day.

There was a great balcony restaurant where we had breakfast with a view every morning and dinner 2 nights.

There was a boat stop in front of the hotel, so easy access during the day. We had a car, and there were many restaurants within a very short drive from the hotel.

Our favorite(which I've said so many times on this site) was "Al Veluu" in the hills about a 5-10 min. drive. The outside terrace with a view of the lake, the fresh food(produce grown on the premises, fish from the lake, etc.), and wine were all top quality. One of our best European dining experiences. We ate there twice and someday we will go back.

We took the boats to the lake towns every day. Our favorites being Belliago, Varenna, & Mennagio. We enjoyed hiking on Isola Comacina. Our least favorite being Como.

We did enjoy Bellagio and toured the Grand Hotel S. there. I guess if you want to walk to dinner and around town at night, Bellagio would be a better choice. But there really isn't any night-life in any of these towns. Dinner is the night-life.

For us the Grand Tremezzo was a 10 out of 10!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM

The terrain at tremezzo is very steep. There nothing in Tremezzo that is more than 1/2 a block off of the lake.
Boat service to the other towns is hourly.

From what I have seen, the Serbelloni is in its own fenced area, with a generous lawn etc. About 100 boats a day call in Bellagio (very convenient service).
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I looked at a few of the questions that you have posted. I see that Lake Como is a 5 day stretch and part of your honeymoon and you want an top-tier view. (Can't blame ya'.)

If you want night-life, I suspect Tremezzo would get small after one night. There is more activity and options in Bellagio than anywhere else at mid - lake. There are three or four good restaurant options in Bellagio. In summer Dusk comes late at Lake Como (9:00pm). The passenger boats stop running at dusk or a little later. The car ferries (which do take passengers) run a little later, but as said somewhere else 'You can't do a late dinner and get across the lake'.

I would say #1) Bellagio or #2) the west side of the lake and use a taxi to go to another town during the evening if you get stir-crazy (or maybe just a taxi for the return leg).

We have never stayed in Menaggio but have visited many, many times. There are things to do there. I don't know how much evening activity you want, but I have never a disco in the mid-lake area.
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Big Red. Yes,I think we will end up doing the tremezzo palace but I hear ya about the boats stopping at dusk. Maybe the hotel has a private boat or something. Anyway, we will be watchfull of the time. Not looking to rip it up in tremezzo, but one night would be fun out of our 4 days.

Honeymoon will be two days venice, four days tremezzo, 5 days positano (amalfi coast....which means a plane ride from milan to naples after our como stay. very much looking forward to all of it and appreciate your help.
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Be aware of monstrous traffic from Como to the Milan airport on work days. We got caught in it once. Our planned arrival 2 1/2 hrs before our flight, was actually about 1 hour.

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM

For the boat service, the Tremezzo boat stop and the Villa Carlotta boat stop are pretty close to each other (say 1/4 mile).

We walked from Tremezzo to Cadenabbia to catch a boat once, so that is an option. The last boat arrives at Tremezzo at 8:00pm. The last ferries (cars and passengers) arrive at Cadenabbia at: 21:50, 22:55, and 23:25. I have a printed boat schedule from our time there in 2008.

Even tho the taxis are expensive, the distances are not great, so taxis could get you more options than you can use up in five days.

Someone told us that the trattori Prato in Tremezzo was good, but we have not eaten there.

Have a good trip.