Reload this Page >

For Georgine, Bob the Nav., Rex, Paul and Jochen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Bob Brown

The post a reply function is screwed up on my original post about Austrian places to stay, so I cannot post a reply to my message. <BR> <BR>I would like to thank Georgine, Bob, Rex, Paul and Jochem for more than very helpful <BR>suggestions you made. Now I have a new problem: selecting one of them as my abode for a few days. It is like standing in a good bakery trying to select which one of several goodies to buy. <BR>I just wish I had more time, but I will return!! That area is beautiful and it will lure me back. <BR>But the bottom line is THANKS. <BR> <BR>Jochen: I can read German as long as my OXford - Duden dictionary is available! <BR>Just don't ask me to write correctly; those adjective endings slay me! And speaking is not something I get much of a chance to practice. I can make my needs known, but I find it defeating when I speak German to a German and he says he doesn't understand English.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Rex

You're welcome, Bob. Don't know what month you have in mind, but I suspect that in June (just as one example), this is one area where you could do a little scouting around driving aroud looking and find vacancies by chance, also. <BR> <BR>I am not as expert as some others about the Salzkammergut, but I was there (St. Gilgen) this past June - - didn't actually stay out of Salzburg - - just day tripped - - and it certainly was beautiful. And I think there were a number of "Frei" signs out.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Bob Brown

Right now it looks like we will be there in either August or early September. <BR>I will be busy starting in a few weeks, so while I have time, I am doing some pre planning. Looking, comparing, and hearing various opinions is fun, too. <BR>Usually when I arrive at a place I know what I want to do. I learned that for Paris you plan half of the time and let Paris herself fill up the other half!! <BR> <BR>I have to allow time for eating pastries, strolling, eating pastries, drinking at a sidewalk cafe, eating pastries, sitting in parks watching, and hunting for a place to eat, scouting out bakeries. Those activities are as much fun as going to museums and other attractions. <BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Buck

Here's one more place for you to think about staying..I've stayed there 3 times, most recently in Sept: The Jagdhof am Fuschlsee which is just outside of Hof on the road to St Gilgen. About half the rooms are in the main bldg (ask for a lake view to get a bigger room); rest of the rooms are in another bldg down the hill. This is the best Best Western I've stayed in in Europe..great restaurant too. <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Jochen

<BR> <BR>Gern geschehen, Bob. I really appreciate if Americans ( who could get away with their native language in most cases ) learn some German, which is certainly not the easiest language. Your attitude to allow time for eating pastries, strolling, or sitting in a park is perfectly right in my opinion. This is NOT a waste of time but an important part of the travel experience. <BR> <BR>Best regards, Jochen