? for Canadians re: U.K. pounds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that you have recently bought (in Canada) U.K. pounds for a trip, where did you buy them?

What was the exchange rate?

And was there a service charge?

Also money related - has anyone recently used a TD Bank card to withdraw cash from an ATM in England and/or Wales? If so - what was the service charge? Any U.K. ATMS better than others?

Thanks for helping!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM

I can't answer the first part about purchasing pounds in Canada because I always wait until I get to the country I'm going to and take money out from an ATM then.

However, I can tell you that I've used my TD Bank card to withdraw money in the UK and it was always a $5 charge. I don't believe that amount differed from one ATM to another - I'm pretty sure that was across the board. Hope that helps!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM

TD Bank charges $5 for every international withdrawal, along with the standard (Canadian) 2.5% fee. Most European banks don't charge withdrawal fees on their end, so you can count on your charges coming solely from TD.

BMO, by the way, charges $3 per transactions (plus the 2.5% fee).
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Whoa there Nelly, my TD bank acount has NO CHARGE foreign withdrawels. Check which account type you have.
Get a Select Service Chequeing account. There is a $24.95 monthly fee BUT,, that is waived if you keep a balance of over $5,000 dollars.
I use both my Royal VIP account and my TD Select Account for foreign withdrawels and pay nothing..
BTW , in both cases the tellers were not aware of this service, I had a manager called over to teller window both times to go over the fine print in the account brochures, and both times it was confirmed that the ATM usage in Europe was going to be free., and it was.. I just was checking.
Do your homework.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thx - especially Bozama
I was thinking of switching to a Select Service account - so I will research it this week to see if it would work for me.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM

My Canadian Bank of Nova Scotia has an alliance with Barclays in the UK, Parabas in France, etc. There is no charge for international withdrawls if you use those alliance banks. Check with your bank to see which foreign countries they are allied with and offer this service.