Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For anyone in London in the Fall. Globe to extend season

Jun 5th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

FYI for anyone in London in October - Normally the Globe theatre season only runs into September. But this year there are plans for Measure For Measure w/ Mark Rylance to be added in a special extended season Oct 6-16 Oct. (hope the weather cooperates)
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:16 AM

hummm we will be there the 16th & 17th of October. In time to catch the last show? I'll have to check it out.

Thank you!!!
Jun 5th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Thanks, Janis. My daughter and I are planning our regular fall trip and will keep this in mind. I've taken the tour of the theater but have not seen a play there.
Jun 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Shakespeare really doesn't work well these days. People view it from their pseduo intellectual standpoints, but cannot appreciate it as it was truly intended. He wrote purely for commercial gain, his plays are the "soap operas" of the day, and were not clever literary works. As such, anything that's ever in vogue cannot travel timelessly. Imagine wearing the same clothes for everday wear as worn in his day - it does not work.

Shakespeare performances are purely for pseuds with some masochistic streak.
Jun 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Oh, my god ! I have a very long medical history ( I call it "my curriculum") and I never thought there was some illness I have which is not there !! Now, I have to add it : I'm a pseud with a masochistic streak, poor me !! I don't know if I suicide now or in five minutes...
Jun 5th, 2005, 02:14 PM

And it is nice to know that all these professors of literature, throughout the ages, and on many continents, have all been mistaken about Shakespear's genius.

I however, being an intellectual pygmie, very much enjoyed a play at the globe.
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Shakespeare is no more a genius than the editors or The Sun (British rag) or Daily Wail (sic).