Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For Americans: Better traveled in USA or Europe?

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Marc David Miller

For those Americans out there, do you think you are better traveled in America or in Europe? Why?

Me, I have traveled much more extensively in the last five years in Europe than in the US; the only major city I have visited since 1996 is Washington (I live in New York).

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Whenwillitgrow?

Marc: I've looked at travelandgrow.com several times over the past year and there isn't anything there, when is it going to grow?

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:53 PM
cdf

Marc, I have lived and traveled all over the US and in the past 10 years my husband and I are concentrating on Europe. Sometimes I consider going somewhere in America that sounds interesting, then I will be drawn to Paris again, or planning a trip to Provence or back to London.I think maybe part of the appeal to us is that in the United States, everyone eats the same food (basically) speaks the same language (well,sort of and have the same customs..and don't forget shopping-American is one big shopping mall with the same stores everywhere! So to go to a foreign country, with everything different from home, feels like you are really traveling and away from home-which is the point, isn't it? So, I would like to think I am better traveled in Europe, I know my husband is-he had a head start, but I am catching up.~C

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Marc David Miller

WWG, thank you for the inspiration--still scanning those photos, finalizing some trip reports, etc. Hopefully by Xmas.

Nov 7th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Sue

cdf, you hit the nail on the head! That's exactly why I prefer traveling to Europe.

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:04 PM
best

Really disagree with above posters. Have traveled both. As I age, I find that there is such a vast different in geography, culture and even the speed of everyday living within America that you can, with time and traveling way beyond the beaten track- find more that would interest and amaze at home here. Size of the continent & climate variations alone make for lots and lots of possible and unique meandering.

I'm lucky enough to be able to travel more all the time. I used to yearn for the Hawaiian or European fix. Not any more. Cities also interest me less and less. If I was granted a wish to see all the lakes, it would take me more than three life times. I also might never get out of Minnesota or Michigan either.

I have found that many "must sees" in Europe are tremendously over rated; although overall the history and antiquities from that history, along with the friendly inhabitants, are truly worth the trip. If you limit your American traveling to cities you do not even have the proper frame of reference for comparison.

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:42 PM
dan woodlief

I am probably more traveled abroad than at home. I have visited as many countries as states. However, over the past few years, especially since my daughter was born, I have traveled more in the U.S. - Civil War battlefields, Charleston, Seattle, St. Louis, Las Vegas, return to D.C., NC mountains and coast, Virginia - some for work and some for vacation.

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:52 PM
JOdy

when we were first married we traveled extensively in the US espeially the eastern seaboard up into canada, when we lived in Tx, traveled a lot on business to west coast and western states, and mexico, but we both prefer europe and now only do US trips to see relatives, friends or for short trips from Fl to NC , GA, SC just for wekends. when we lived in MI it was so easy to go into canada for a day or two. Still would lve to see Montreal and maybe willplan a long weekend there shortly. But I'm afraid my heart is somewhere in europe roaming between paris, London and Rome!

Nov 7th, 2001, 07:41 PM
xxx

cdf and sue -

Posts like yours manage to find their way to this thread all the time, i.e. travel to Europe v. US is so much more adventurous, etc. I think this is an overgeneralization. 1) Going to London and Paris again and again is great - but not exactly living on the wild side, and 2) If the most significant thing you've seen in your US travels is the mall, you need to broaden your horizions here - there is a LOT more to see in this contry.

Nov 7th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Mare

I'm better traveled in Europe, but a lot of that has to do with vacation time--or lack of it. There are a lot of places I haven't seen in the U.S. that I'd love to see. However, when we take a trip to Europe, we tend to stay for two or three weeks. That doesn't leave us much time to travel in the U.S. We've been wanting to get to the southwest for several years, but I guess we don't want it enough to give up our overseas trips.

Nov 8th, 2001, 05:30 AM
cdf

xxx-I think you may have mis-read the post--mentioning malls was in respect to the sameness of towns in America..now I know I'll really get it~
When wandering down the small side streets of Paris, I tend not to pass a Gap/Banana Republic..there are all these wonderful boutiques,stores full of strange and wonderful things-the gargoyle store on the Left Bank-and whatever anyone says, I know most people do shop and buy something when on trips away from home. Due to lifes circumstances, I have lived in various cities in these states during my life so far-Arizona,California,Hawaii,Nevada,North Carolina,New York, and New Jersey.The question was "are we better traveled in the US or in Europe and Why"-not which is better.Therefore my answer and Sues answer were pertaining to that question-.. I am afraid you missed the point...

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Andrea

I'm better traveled globally than in the US, by far. I grew up in the midwest (gographically), and have never been farther east than Chicago. I've hit more capital cities both in Europe and in Asia than in the US (state capitals, of course).

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:06 AM
nigel

I think that there is a lot to see in the US but as someone living in the US at this time, I find that holidays for me are traveling outside of the norm-the UK, France, Spain, Nepal.The US is a rich and varied country, but when one tends to feel the urge to travel, farther than home is the best way to assuage that urge-My feeling is that cdf,sue,and the others who lean toward European travel rather than in their own country, are not that different from the Brits, who when given the choice, would rather go to France,Spain,Italy instead of the Lake District, as beautiful as it is, and other areas in Great Britain..this does not make them less well traveled, or snubbing their home country, only that like most people-the farther away locales are more tempting..this is just of course MHO Nigel

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Joanne

Our circumstances are similar to JOdy's. When we were first married my husband was in the Air Force and we were stationed near Detroit. We often went into Ontario and also went to Maine for a wedding we were in. After his discharge we returned to California and fortunately have wonderful places to visit in our own state. We also traveled extensively in the US. I think we have probably been to almost every state.

For our 25th anniversary we went on a cruise and were hooked on that type of vacation for some time. It became less appealing when the cruise lines we loved were bought out and ultimately when the ships became increasingly more glitzy and especially LARGE.

For the past 10 years or so we have traveled almost exclusively to Europe (we do go to Hawaii in between) and based on our past experiences will probably continue to do so. Agree totally with cdf.

JOdy you must go to Quebec when you can. Some time ago we flew to Burlington, Vermont (had special tickets from UAL that didn't include Canada), rented a car and drove into Quebec. We both thought Quebec City was fabulous and also very much enjoyed Montreal. It was a favorite trip of ours.

The US has much to offer, there's no denying that, but contrary to "best" as we get older we want to see as much of Europe as we can while we can.

j

Nov 8th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Stephanie

I would have to say the USA, Marc. I have lived from East coast to West coast and that includes Southwest and Midwest. It has been convenient with my work schedule and parenthood to mostly stay home in the USA. I have seen some of the most beautiful and breathtaking sites in the USA, such as the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, a sunset coming through a mountain pass to the Shenendoah Valley, when the sunsets in Tucson and the mountains become Purple Mountains Majesties - I have seen it, enjoyed it and now I am ready to say the same about Europe and Asia.

Nov 8th, 2001, 08:43 AM
A

I have been to most of the countries in Europe, and the latest places I have visited wereCanada, Nepal and Thailand. I am from the US, and have traveled to all the states but Alaska and Hawaii.So I feel quite qualified to answer this-I would rather travel abroad. Europe is a wonderful mix of familiar, a lot of Americans have their roots in European countries, and the not so familiar.Why would anyone want to travel and see things that they see in everyday life? I want to see the world, not just my neighborhood..which to me is the US...and as quickly as this planet is shrinking, I still run into people I know, wherever I travel~which is also fun.A