Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For a first visit: 2 days in Amsterdam and 6 days in Paris or 8 days in Paris?

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:11 AM
wesley

Undecided about this because of Kuekenhof gardens outside Amsterdam. Also interested in the special Van Gogh exhibit in Amsterdam. Leaving in two weeks. Any thoughts?

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:20 AM
scigirl

The Keukenhof gardens are really spectacular - it wasn't until my third trip to the Netherlands that I made it to the gardens at the right time of year. I'd say do at least 2 days in Amsterdam and then go to Paris - you can still see loads in 6 days.

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:37 AM
kmarie

The Floriade is another reason to head to Amsterdam this year. Staged only once every ten years, it runs several months, beginning in April.

www.floriade.nl

And maybe you'll be able to satisfy your need to spend more time in Paris in future years... Paris can do that to you!

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:42 AM
Grasshopper

Scigirl - Please tell me about the Keukenhof Gardens. I will be in Amsterdam at the end of April and have a couple of free days.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:39 AM
Rex

I'd vote for 2+6. One destination means one look at Europe. And Amsterdam is such an English-friendly place. Great way to get your gearings, get over the trans-atlantic flight and not have to worry so much about the language barrier.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:46 AM
Garry

Amsterdam 3
Paris 5

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:47 AM
Hooiser fan

Indiana 72
Maryland 68

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:24 AM
janis

I ADORE Paris and spend a fair amount of time there, but in this case 2 Amsterdam and 6 Paris is a pretty good division of time. The scenic parts of Paris are actually pretty compact (compared to London, Rome, etc) and VERY walkable and you can se a LOT in 6 days. Amsterdam is very different and in two days you can see a lot of it.

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:28 PM
Bess

Amsterdam 4
Paris 4

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:45 PM
Rex

Alas.

Maryland 64
Indiana 52

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:50 AM
Chris

Grasshopper -- Keukenhof gardens is a several acre "park". We went in early April last year and the bulbs were blooming (but it was still a little early). The greenhouses are full of flowers (didn't realize the HUGE tulips were quite pretty -- always thought "hideous" from the photos). Flowers, flowers, everywhere.

You can take a bus tour, drive or take the train (and then a bus ride). I'd say it's about 1.5 hour trip (maybe even a tad more) from Amsterdam.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:05 AM
Alice

You can also take a 1/2 day tour to Keukenhof, if you'd prefer to be driven there. We used the Lindbergh tours found near the Centraal station on Damrak. I believe that trip stopped at a cheese-making 'farm', a huge nursery where you could order bulbs to be shipped home (plenty to see if you don't want to buy), and an hour or two at the Keukenhof. I didn't feel rushed there, walked all over the gardens, went up the windmill, took beautiful photos. It was lovely. I think you can plunk "Lindbergh tours" into google.com and find their web site...

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Alice

You can also take a 1/2 day tour to Keukenhof, if you'd prefer to be driven there. We used the Lindbergh tours found near the Centraal station on Damrak. I believe that trip stopped at a cheese-making 'farm', a huge nursery where you could order bulbs to be shipped home (plenty to see if you don't want to buy), and an hour or two at the Keukenhof. I didn't feel rushed there, walked all over the gardens, went up the windmill, took beautiful photos. It was lovely. I think you can plunk "Lindbergh tours" into google.com and find their web site...

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:31 AM
For wesley

Two days Amsterdam
One day Brugge
Five days Paris.
But devote one of those days to day trip Chartres and Giverny.
Spectacular.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:02 PM
up

up up

Apr 4th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Carrie

Amsterdam: 3
Paris : 5

Wesley, the two museums in Amsterdam will probably take one whole day, Kuekenhof half a day, so you'll have one and half day left walking round the streets and canals of this compact and wonderful city.

I'll there next weekend for the Gaugin exhibition at Van Gogh museum and Floriade. I have reserved tickets for both events. I would advise you to reserve for tickets to Gaugin exhibition as I telephoned to reserve mine two weeks ago, I was told most tickets for the next two week were sold out.

Enjoy your trip.

Apr 4th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Lois

Slightly off course, but I did a trip like this on my very first solo trip to Europe. Went to Maastricht, then Aachen, back tracked to Leuven, and took the train from Brussels to Paris.

And I enjoyed Maastricht and Aachen as much, if not more, than Amsterdam OR Paris!