Footwear/Clothes? Fashion vs. Comfort

Aug 25th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Footwear/Clothes? Fashion vs. Comfort

Planning a my first trip to Paris/Italy in the spring of 2004...

Hubby and I are in our twenties and from California...Because of all the walking, I would love to wear my very cute sneakers with my Juicy sweatpants...but I have been reading up here and know that sneakers are a no-no...Are flip-flops a no also? Hubby likes these...

Clothes-wise - my planned uniform for him - khaki shorts and polo shirt. For me - knee-length skirts with tees/tanks...

Love to hear your thoughts on the ideal outfits/shoes to blend comfort without looking too "just came from yoga-class"...Thanks!

Aug 25th, 2003, 03:40 PM

I am from So. Cal. too, where we wear flipflops almost year round. Last year in Rome my friend wore hers and she ended up limping with the worse listers, they dont fare very well on cobblestones and concrete for the whole day of walking.
Take your cute sneakers if they have support and don't worry about nonos.

Juicys probably wont go over big there either, unless you are with a young hip crowd at the beach towns.

But take all this advice with a grain of salt, we are a little different in California, so why fight it? Since you and your husband are a team, wear what you want.

Oh, yeah, as you probably know by now he cant wear his shorts into churches and you cant wear your tanks.

Have fun!
Aug 25th, 2003, 03:41 PM

worse listers is California-speak for worst blisters, lol.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Wear your sneakers and don't worry about what anyone is saying. I wore mine and was glad I did. Never did I feel out of place.
Natalie is quite right, wear what you want but you won't be able to get into the churches with shorts or tank tops. Other than that, be compfortable and enjoy your trip.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:07 PM

A word of clothing advice: depending on when in the spring you are going, you should be prepared for the possibility of cool, rainy weather. Be sure you have some long pants (both of you), a raincoat and/or umbrella, and at least one pair of closed shoes you can wear with socks. This past May, for example, was quite cool and wet for the first half of the month.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:19 PM

You'll read a lot about what to wear; we just returned and I saw sneakers, flip flops, sandals, basically everything for feet and that was just on native Parisians. Granted it was hot, but I also saw men walking into Notre Dame with unbuttoned shirts and less than spectacular physiques. Women in swimsuit tops and shorts, jogging shorts and tank tops, etc on Champs Elysee, eiffel tower, etc. Either they were from France or very fluent in French because english was not being used. I found that basically anything goes - don't be self conscious and realize that if you look like a tourist, duh - that 's what you are. We wore shorts, nice tops, husband wore cargo shorts and golf type shorts with polos. I took a black skirt and wore that for dinner twice with tank tops. Have fun.
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Sorry---I can't resist!! YOUR planned uniform for HIM?????
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I know! I'm so bad...
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Degas

Is he that whipped? And what severe form of punishment do you deal out if he doesn't wear his little uniform correctly?

Aug 26th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Hey! He LIKES his khaki shorts and polo shirts...no need for punishments. LOL
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Degas

Sneakers are fine. Just make sure they are pure white with colorful lettering all over them and they don't clash with your fanny packs (get your full legal name sown on the back).

Seriously, the flip-flops will cause problems given the uneven pavement and long distances you will be walking. However, they will look cool.

And Paris is known to have brief cold snaps in the spring.

Aug 26th, 2003, 02:41 PM

I don't agree that sneakers are necessarily a no-no. It is entirely possible to rock the sneaker/sweats combo in style. If you know what you're going, go for it. You'll be walking and standing waaay more than at home.
Keep in mind though, that in Italy especially, churches frown on bare shoulders or shorts for men or women and may outright deny you admittance. (I've seen it.)
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Intrepid

I'm al;ways impressed by the fact that women seem to be the people who always ask the "clothing" questions on this board. Apparently they feel that the husbands can dress any way they wish..and they probably DO!

Aug 26th, 2003, 08:26 PM

I just returned from 5 weeks in Europe (a LOT of walking!), and my "default" comfy shoes ended up giving me blisters! I actually wore my shower shoes, which were blue foam flip flops, for most of my trip! They were super old, and I didn't think they would make it through the Forum & Colosseum, but they held up! Bring a pair, anyway, since they are light to pack. If your feet swell up from walking, you can at least wear them at the hotel after a long day of sight seeing. Have fun!
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:58 AM
amelia

Wendy, your sneaks are just fine. Make sure they have enough wiggle room and arch support because your feet are going to ache no matter what.

With the weather this past summer, I think flip-flops would have been great. However, I am willing to bet it a) won't be 90 degrees next spring and b) it will rain. Paris gets more rain than London--please check the precip and temp averages for the period you'll be going.

I think most perenial visitors to Paris and elsewhere aren't bothered in the least by jeans and sneaks on fellow Americans--it's the bright white tennies with pink tracksuits and fanny packs that cause our fillings to ache.

Search this Thread