Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Footloose in Athens (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/footloose-in-athens-335045/)

USNR Jul 8th, 2003 03:35 PM

Footloose in Athens

We have two days on our own in Athens before boarding our cruise ship. What would you recommend that we do to enjoy our time wisely. Places to eat? Sights we must see?

Intrepid Jul 8th, 2003 05:20 PM

Well, one thing you won't have to worry about "seeing" is the Acropolis unless you want to view it up close since its visible from just about everywhere. As I recall there is a palace or at least some sort of governmental edifice with changing of the guards that was interesting when we were there last (tells you how memorable it really was!!!!) and the Olympic stadium (the old one) might be worth a look.
I just hope they've finally dismantled all the loudspeakers on the downtown streets which seemed to blare some sort of political message at all hours..it started out with someone screaming the word, "Democratica" and then on and on in Greek.
I think you'll find two days is plenty in Athens and you probably won't have to rush to see the highlights. Am sure others will help out with more informative/specific postings. Have a great trip.

carolyn Jul 9th, 2003 12:09 PM

Definitely go to the Acropolis and see the Parthenon, even though it has scaffolding around it. Walk around the Plaka, which is the old part of the city and has lots of shops and restaurants. You can buy anything from cheap souvenirs to expensive gold jewelry and artwork. Gold is a bargain, but if you are not knowledgeable about prices, you might want to check them out at home before you go.

Gyros (pronounced hearos) are cheap and tasty for lunch or a snack. Coffee frappes are good, too--coffee with ice and milk and/or sugar as you like. Lemonade varies from excellent made with fresh lemons and plenty of sugar to Fanta canned fizzy to, once, a glass of pure lemon juice over a little ice. That will take the top off your head.

Have fun. Greece was really different from any other trip I have made. Their stuff is really old; the new things are Roman.

KathyNZ Jul 13th, 2003 02:12 AM

Check out Matt Barrett's excellent website, www.greecetravel.com
Suggest purchasing a multi pass which will give you entrance to six various sites in Athens, if you are interested in history they are all well worth visiting at very little cost. The Benaki museum is also a must see as is a wander through the Plaka, sure it's touristy but it's a vibrant and colourful area. Many people speak english so for eating out ask the locals for recommendations.

michelec Jul 14th, 2003 12:07 PM

Re the changing of the guard mentioned upthread. It takes place at the parliament house, just off Syntagma Square, at noon and 6 p.m.

Benaki Museum is worth a visit as well, and if you go be sure to stop at their balcony cafe. The view from there is incredible.

hailbuzzy Jul 14th, 2003 02:31 PM

You can do most of the major stuff in 2 days. Make sure to spend time in the Plaka just wandering the shops and enjoying the food. Check out some of the Fodors recommended restaurants - we liked all 3 restaurants we tried from their Athens recommended list, but stumbled on some really great little tavernas ourselves, so don't be afraid to experiment :)

The Acropolis & its museum is a must - go early and try and beat the tourists! Across the street you will find a nice little park where you can relax and climb Filopappou Hill if a nice little hike is your thing. We preferred the Roman Agora to the Ancient Agora, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus had some of my favorite ruins.

We enjoyed our little stroll thru the National Gardens on our way to the Parliment for the changing of the guards. We were told it happened every hour, so maybe we were just fortunate to have been there at the right time, or they might've chnaged things since last October.

I wasn't impressed with Lycabettus Hill at all, and would personally skip that if out of time.

Have a great trip!!