Football Match

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Football Match

My family is traveling to London March 21 thru April 4. We would like to go to two football matches. One the week of March 21 through March 27 and one March March 28 thru April 4th. I've gone online and am confused as to how to find tickets. I can find tickets thru brokers but the ticket prices are astronomical. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM

It really depends on which league/club/stadium you're looking at. The more popular Premiere League teams (such as Chelsea and Arsenal) hardly ever have tickets available. They make a few tickets available to supporters closer to match day, but otherwise the tickets are all sold to season ticket holders. We tried to get tickets to a Chelsea match last August and they would have cost us 200£ per ticket through a "tout" (broker) (and we needed six, so we passed - watched the match on TV at a pub instead).
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you say you've looked on line, I assume you have certain matches/clubs in mind. If so - which ones?

If you mean the major (premier league) clubs -- your chances are slim to none. They are basically all sell outs.

I haven't looked up who is playing where/when - but most lower division clubs are easier . . . .
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Deborah:

As these dates are in the decisive period, tickets are rather hard to get for virtually all matches. West Ham's game vs. Sunderland on April 4 is on general sale, and there are a few tickets still available.

Try their ticketing website at:

http://www.whufc.com/page/TicketNews/0,,12562,00.html

You will have to register (it's free) in order to purchase tix.

Enjoy your trip.

Phil.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to look at this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35169772

I would normally suggest trying Fulham, but in that period they are playing Man Utd and Liverpool so little chance

Portsmouth v Everton is a 12:45 kickoff, and is 90 minutes from London by Train, so added expense/

West Ham v Sunderland has been mentioned as possible - I would contact West Ham directly, explain you situation and see if they have anything availabele

If you want to watch 2nd level football - still of a high quality, and good atmosphere, but cheaper and easier for tickets, consider:

Saturday, 21 March 2009
Charlton v Preston
Crystal Palace v Reading
QPR v Bristol City

Saturday, 4 April 2009
QPR v Crystal Palace
or possibly
Southampton v Charlton (anotheer 75 minute train journey(