Football games (soccer to me)

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Football games (soccer to me)

Forgive my ignorance but in Canada soccer is not a huge spectator sport as in Europe. Being a sports fan, I would love to go to a soccer game while I am in London. Hopefully the season is not over by the time I get there in August. Looking for suggestions on games that I could attend being a female travelling alone?? The reputation of the sports fans are probably overblown in the media, but I do not know anyone who has actually attended at game to know for sure. Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Depends when in August. The regular season usually starts towards the end of August. The 2 bigger teams in London are Arsenal(amost impossible to get a ticket for their games), and Chelsea(lot easier to get a ticket). There are few more, but at least one, West Ham, may drop out of Premiership for the next season. The season ends in about 6 weeks. Actually Manchester United, Juventus, Barcelona and a team from South America, will be in the US, in August for a 4 city tour.
If you do have a chance to see a game, go for it. You will love the atmosphere, the singing, just the whole experience. Don't worry about any problems. I see about 3 ManU games every year, and never had problems.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 01:18 PM

I meant that this season will end in about 6 weeks. Next season will start at the end of August.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 01:47 PM

Premiership season starts on 16th August, Nationwide League a week earlier. Apart from Arsenal and some games for Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham and Fulham, getting a ticket isn't a huge problem. You can usually buy one on-line through the club's official website (do a Google search). And no problem about being a lone female fan. Nowadays lots of girls, girlfriends, wives and grandmas attend matches, and stadiums are much more family-friendly.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:26 PM

we were in Germany and Italy last year in early August and wanted to see a futbol game as well. they don't start the friendly games until late in August and the real season runs from September to May. good luck