Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Football games in England? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/football-games-in-england-214668/)

Emily Dec 11th, 2001 09:47 AM

Football games in England?

We're going to London in mid-March (14-22), and from an answer earlier today to a "what to do in London" question, I started thinking about going to a "footie" game while we are there.<BR><BR>How does one go about finding out a schedule/buying tickets/etc? Mid-March is still in season, correct? Should I buy tickets when I get there?<BR><BR>I lived in Italy for several years, and kept missing opportunities to go to a game. I'm still sad about it to this day. My boyfriend is game as long as I deal with setting it all up!

leroi Dec 11th, 2001 11:52 AM

this site has list of clubs in London area. Ignore the levels shown as it is not current but the club info is same. For example Fulham is now in premier league...also I dont think it shows Watford a 1st div club...anyway this may help<BR>http://www.geocities.com/londonfootball/Clubs/clubs.htm

Mark Dec 11th, 2001 05:52 PM

The good news is that several Premier League and Division One London teams are playing at home the weekend of March 16-18, 2002. The bad news is that it may be difficult to get tickets to the "big club" matches, ie the Premier League. Chelsea plays Sunderland at Stamford Bridge (their home stadium) on March 16 at 3 pm. WestHam plays ManU the same day and time at their East End home, Upton Park. Chelsea,WestHam, Sunderland and ManU are huge clubs with legions of supporters who will definitely show up for these games, so good luck getting tickets. Another Premier League game on Monday, March 18,<BR>Tottenham against Charlton, is a London <BR>"derby match" which means another probable sell out at White Har Lane.<BR>You'll have better luck with First Division teams-not the highest league but still very competitive and entertaining football. Millwall plays Sheffield Wednesday, Watford plays Coventry and Wimbledon play Stockport. <BR>For competition I'd say Watford against Coventry; for best ticket availabilty I'd say Wimbledon against Stockport.<BR>Go to www.thisislondon.co.uk for more information.Click on sport-football and then look for the pull down menu on the right for "your football team". Lots of <BR>information and links to team sites at that spot. Good luck!

Ann Dec 12th, 2001 04:19 AM

Find the team's website, and check on there how to get tickets. I was able to get tickets for Tottenham v. Liverpool at White Hart Lane (Tottenham's ground) last year just by calling the ticket line the morning tickets for that match went on sale. Of course, I had to get up at 5 a.m., but it wasn't a problem. We picked the tickets up at the ground on match day.<BR><BR>Also, tickets tend to go on sale quite a bit later that we're used to in the U.S.--usually only about 3 weeks or so before the match. There are often schedule changes, to accommodate the many different competitions the teams play in.<BR><BR>You can go to ticket brokers here in the U.S. (do a search), but it will cost you at least 4 times the face value.<BR><BR>

Ann Dec 12th, 2001 04:19 AM

BTW, if you're on a website, and looking for the schedule, you'll have to look under "fixtures".

Emily Dec 12th, 2001 06:54 AM

Thanks for all of the great information. I'm sure I'll be able to figure out a game to get tickets to now. <BR><BR>I've also been told not to wear the colors of the visiting team, or else to be prepared to be attacked. I'll take that one to heart.<BR><BR>Thanks again, this board has been a great help!

kate Dec 12th, 2001 08:13 AM

you wouldn't necessarily get attacked, but may come in for some verbal abuse. Besides, if you buy tickets from the home team, you will be seated with the home supporters and would very uncomfortable in another team's colours. (never wear a red scarf to a Tottenham match for instance).<BR><BR>Try and get tickets for a premier league match if you can. Tickets are hotly contended but it would be worth it, particularly as the season is drawing to a close in March. As mentioned, you will need to contact the home teams direct - check out the websites of Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and West Ham.<BR><BR>Have fun!

JFM Dec 12th, 2001 01:37 PM

I went to 2 Arsenal home matches in November. I paid 2x face value from a broker on the internet. Ticketmaster (UK branch) sells tickets as well -- they sold out before I could buy one from them. Ticketmaster is cheaper than the one I eventually bought. <BR><BR>Regarding Tottenham v. Charlton, I was able to see Arsenal v. Charlton with out much problem getting tickets (see above). There may be scalpers near the ground as well (not sure if it is legal but I bought a ticket from one).<BR><BR>

david west Dec 13th, 2001 03:12 AM

Tottenham v Charlton should be easy enough to get tickets for. Charlton aren't a huge draw (they just beat us though, grrr). The fact that it's on a monday means that its the televisewed match, which depresses the gate so you should be Ok.<BR><BR>It is also a perfectly "safe" match as we have friendly relations with Charlton.

Topper Dec 13th, 2001 12:47 PM

ttt.

Ann Dec 14th, 2001 06:47 AM

That's right--I forgot that you can get some tickets through TicketMaster. But calling the club directly is the easiest and cheapest way.<BR><BR>Just make sure you're cheering for the same team as the people around you, and you'll be fine.

Emily Dec 14th, 2001 10:50 AM

Thanks so much for all of your help!<BR><BR>I will let you know how it turns out...