Foodies renting an apt in Venice

Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:14 AM
WG
Original Poster

Foodies renting an apt in Venice

Would love restaurant recommendations in Venice. Have an apt in the Dorsoduro area for a week in Oct. Will prob go out most nights for dinner, so any help would be appreciated!! Grazie in advance.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Two stellar fish restaurants :

Antiche Carampane in San Polo
Algiubagio on Fondamente Nove (fantastic view towards San Michele if the weather's good enough to sit on the pontoon)

and we always eat at least one lunch at La Palanca on Giudecca looking towards the Zattere.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:14 AM

La Zucca, Santa Croce. http://www.lazucca.it/ Definitely get reservations.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
WG
Original Poster

thanks -will make ressies. any other further rec would be appreciated as well.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM

A couple of places in Dorsoduro:

We ate at the Osteria “san Barnaba”, Calle Lunga san Barnaba, Dosoduro 2736. It's small – seats about 16 people, operated by a couple, and the menu is written in Italian only. However, the proprietor speaks excellent English, and steps you through the menu. We had smoked leg of goose as an antipasto, rabbit cooked in a casserole, and calves liver Venetian style, which is a standard here, along with grilled artichoke and a bottle of good local wine. The tab came to about 70 Euro, and this is probably the best meal we have eaten in Venice – it was great. We regret that we did not go there weeks ago, because then we would have visited there again. Closed on mercoledi and giovedi mattina.

La Bitta in Calle Lunga San Barnaba, Dorsoduro 2753a, is a good place to eat – they don’t do fish. On the left as you walk west from Campo San Barnaba. To quote a review on Fodors:
The decor is more discreet, the dining hours longer, and the service friendlier and more efficient here than in many small restaurants in Venice—and the creative non-fish menu is a temptation at every course. You can start with a light salad of Treviso radicchio and crispy bacon, followed by smoked-beef carpaccio or gnocchetti ubriachi al Montasio (small marinated gnocchi with Montasio cheese). Then choose a secondo such as lamb chops with thyme, anatra in pevarada (duck in a pepper sauce), or Irish Angus fillet steak. Secondi are served with vegetables, which helps bring down the price. The restaurant is open only for dinner, but serves much later than most, continuously from 6:30 to 11. No credit cards.

The bar, Ai Artisti in Campo San Barnaba, is fun, and the staff get to know you quickly.

Pre-dinner drink – try the bar Arancina, near the Ca' Rezzonico, Calle Foscari, 5255 Doroduro. Finger food seems to be free, 2.00 for a spritz, and the barman is nice.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Ristorante Avogaria is great, and sounds like it's very close to where you're staying. I've eaten there once, and on my last trip to Venice in February, the chef was nice enough to give me a cooking lesson for the blog I was writing. While I don't think that's something he does for everyone, it certainly increased my opinion of this already great place! The food is fantastic, and they have a great wine selection as well.

This is the address:
Calle Dell'Avogaria 1629
30123 Venice, Italy
Tel. +39 041 296.04.91
http://www.avogaria.com/
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Sorry--forgot to include the link to this particular blog post in case you want to read over what we did: http://culinaryhopscotch.blogspot.co...pressions.html
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Being foodies renting an apartment in Venice, you don't need restaurant recommendations in the first place - you need recipes!!
Both - restaurants and recipes - are to be found here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...estaurants.cfm
Have fun!