Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Foodies in France what are your recent foodie favs in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is trip 4 for Chaz and 5 for me, so we have been to a lot of great restaurants in Paris.

This trip (over Christmas) will be a little less restaurant focused this time, but that doesn't mean we aren't looking to soldify some great choices and a few reservations ahead of time

So, we have to go Le Comptoir because Chaz can't live without the beef cheeks there. We will probably hit Le Souffle for lunch one day because I love souffles and it is close to Chanel. Pretty sure we will hit Reed and maybe les cocottes. I think we would like to "discover" some new places on Isle St Louis or near our apartment in the 5th. Christmas I am sure, "complicates" this as many spots will be closed around Christmas.

New for us but on "the list" for a while and now that they have resrvations online and the wine bar across the street it should finally work, Frenchie.

Gracejoan, has us sold on Les 110 Taillevent, so that's on the list.

Verjus, new to us. Who has been? Thoughts?

Here's the one that I have always wanted to go to and is loved by many but also has disappointed many, Josephine Chez Dumonet. Have you been? Recently? Lunch or Dinner? Did you make your reservation in person? (My French is far to bad to make a phone reservation unless they all speak great English)! If you went and were disppointed, why?

We can never hit all the places we want to go in Paris but we do love all the options and trying to go to all of them!

As always, I appreciate your input and suggestions. Especially with restaurants, it is important to get recent info and feedback...many restaurants start to slip after a while. Many used to be great but not anymore, so we would love to filter those out .
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 06:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
How wonderful to be back in Paris for Christmas again. We are usually there in Sept. but probably will skip it this year---bummer.

Here's one of our favorites on Ile St. Louis. I've probably had lamb chops there 5-6 times through the years and have never been disappointed. The decor is so charming and the servers always polite and helpful. You'll see a few of our photos in the TA review.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...de_France.html

Here's another we found last Sept. and even got 40% off by booking on The Fork. It's on the Left Bank across from Notre Dame. It gets mixed reviews but I have to say that everything we ordered was outstanding. Also some of our photos in the TA review.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...de_France.html

I'll definitely look for you TR as you always seem to find some interesting places.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

TPAYT...thanks Le Reminet is one we are considering as it will be very close to our apt. We were a bit confused by the mixed reviews and since I "know" you, it makes me more comfortable with it!

I really do need to arrange a trip in warm weather to get to some spots that are not open or at their best in winter....never enough time or money, it seems.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 08:37 AM

I believe Frenchie typically closes for around 2 weeks over the holidays. I've been to Verjus wine bar and liked it but haven't been to the restaurant. Have you tried the pastries at Cafe Pouchkine? That was my favorite last time.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM

Not quite current (January 2011) but here is the list of restaurants we enjoyed in Paris

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nt-roundup.cfm
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 08:48 AM

In the 5th, we had an excellent lunch at Sola but I have a feeling they may be closed as well. What are the actual dates you're there?
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks Patty....I am sure we will know closer to time. I imagine Frenchie will post that on the website or the dates will be unavailable for reservations. Good to know.

Have not been to Cafe Pouchkine. We got hooked on Un Dimanche a Paris last time but always on the hunt for great pastries and will check it out. I know I have seen the name on ParisPatisseries.com...which I will be studying religously before we go.

Arrive 12/20 7:55 AM leave 12/28 4:30PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM

We have never been disappointed in Le Reminet we have even had a large party there 30 people and we allsatisfied . Staff is very pleasant and food is good. We prefer to Sit downstairs .. Le Bistro des Gastronomes on Rue Cardinal Lemoine is excellexnt and reasonable their 3 course set menu is only 26 Euroand they have ala carte as well. Their foie gras is to die for and the serving is large!!
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 09:43 AM

I love Le 114 Faubourg in the Bristol hotel. Excellent food, warm welcoming atmosphere. They have special wine evenings the first Monday of the month -- highly recommended.
http://www.lebristolparis.com/fr/act...-oenologiques/
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM

I love Un Dimanche too. La Patisserie des Reves is another favorite.

Frenchie closed on Dec 22 last year so you may luck out with a Friday arrival. We really liked the wine bar (have not eaten at the restaurant).
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patty. We might just make it!It is always nice to be lucky but since we will be in Paris, that is lucky enough even if we miss Frenchie!

Love more good comments on Le Reminet! And some new options to look at. Have never set foot inside the Bristol, so this might be a good excuse.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM

I've been to this tiny place at least once a year sinçe it opened in 1985. Same owner, imo wonderful food, immaculate. It's right on the main street on the ile:

http://www.letastevin-paris.com/Page2.html
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ate out less in a week last New Year's in Paris than I did in four days the June beforehand. Reason? A major cold that I had a hard time shaking. So take your Vitamin C! I also didn't make any reservations more than a day in advance this last go- round.

Auberge du 15 in the 13th is expensive (order a la carte) and quiet but so, so good. Lamb, veal are both heavenly.

http://www.laubergedu15.com/index.php

Easy, modern, and buzzy with a convenient location in the 5th is Terroir Parisien.

http://www.yannick-alleno.com/carnet/terroir-parisien/

Was looking for another easy place near Palais Royale last New Year's when I had a cold, and Patty suggested Willi's Wine Bar. We just stopped in for a bottle and snacks around 7pm, sat in the bar, again really convenient if you're sightseeing and don't want to commit to anything major.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Cath- thanks for reminding me about Le Tastevin...love rue St Louis en Isle, so I am glad to be reminded about Le Tastevin...I know I have seen it recommended previously.

Leely...we have been bitten by all kinds of bugs while on vaca in Paris. Something about travelling in the early part of the winter but we have been hit on our last Paris trips and for us, worse than colds, unfortunately. We will be juicing, taking vit C , using airborne and washing hands constantly and probably throwing some Purell on anything near us! Terroir looks really nice and will check out the the suggestion, as well.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM

I like Le Florimond (but I bet you have already been there!) in the 7th and hope to try Le Casse-Noix in the 15th when we are there in Oct.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 04:19 PM

We love Verjus. We go every trip to Paris and will be there in September. The food is consistently good, though a tasting menu so no choice, but they do ask about allergies, dietary restrictions and seem to work around just about any of those. We get the wine pairings and have never been disappointed.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Casse Noix is a possibility. I believe gracejoan is a fan. Please give us a review, if you go, grandmere.

I will say that they were so nice to us at Le Florimond and I wanted to like it but I didn't like my main course at all there. I feel terrible about that! I was looking forward to it and I just didn't love it and they really were very friendly to us.

Judy, you are a wealth of knowledge.

Thank you everyone....loving the info, as always!

More, more, more!
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Le Tastevin----watch out for the silverware! Don't touch it!!!

Several of us Fodorites got a good laugh concerning the silverware police in that restaurant.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

What? That's crazy....maybe I will take an extra big purse that night and see if I can get the dirty dishes and glasses. Kinda insulting, huh?
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 01:04 AM

Hi TPAYT

I've eaten there 30+ times on my own, as a couple and with groups up to 12 and honestly don't know what you mean about silverware police.

Is it a big enough issue that I shouldn't recommend the restaurant? "Madame" is indeed very correct, but I find her friendly and have never been admonished about the silverware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -