Foodie in Italy

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foodie in Italy

I'm interested in seeing the markets - we'll be in Italy for 2 weeks (Venice, Florence and Rome). Where are they, when are they open, are you supposed to negotiate? What food shops are must-sees?(food/baking/cooking supplies). I'm not familiar with custom regulations - can I bring back food/oils to US? and if yes, what are your suggestions?
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:46 PM

I'll do the research and get back to you in a week or two.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM

LubaG - post this on the Europe forum and you'll get lots of responses.

Also do a search of food on Italy/Europe and you'll get lots of info.

I went to a great chocolate shop in Florence - will get back to you with name and address.

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:38 AM

If you get to Milan, check out Peck: www.peck.it
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
DRJ

I'm certain that there is a lot of information regarding USDA regulations in this forum. Genrally, you can bring back hard cheeses, olive oil, and pastas, beans, etc. No meat!

As to places to buy foods to bring back, I can recommend Volpetti in Rome as an excellent choice. Take the Metro to Piramide and walk a very few blocks west on via Marmoratta. (And one does not barter prices there.)

I always bring back dried porcini. Light in weight and most places will seal in vacuum bags.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM

The large market in central Florence is called San Lorenzo. The food stalls (the real food) are largely inside the market, and for the most part you won't negotiate: the price is the price. Exceptions might be made if you were buying a large number of something (say, six jars of something rather than one), in which case the vendor might give you a "sconto" (discount). Outside the market are vendors that sell lots of leather goods and scarves and so forth, and there you do negotiate (be prepared for somebody to tell you that they're giving you the discount because you have lovely eyes or something).

There's no single large central market in Rome (that I know of). One of the nice outdoor markets is at Campo dei Fiori, with mostly produce vendors in the middle and purveyors of meat, dairy, etc. in shops around the edge of the piazza. Again, no negotiating for regular stuff like tomatoes and onions, but if you decide to look at some of the items marketed largely to tourists (liquors, prepared truffle condiments, etc.) you can certainly negotiate. You don't have to suggest a price, you can just ask the price and then hesitate, or have a slightly pensive look come over your face, and you'll be offered a discount, particularly if you buy more than one of something. Again, you will be credited with supernatural gifts that have earned you this privilege.

There's a market in Venice on the far side of Rialto bridge that's nice for produce and fish.

You'll find small markets anywhere that there's space to put them up, basically.

Are you staying in apartments? Will you have the opporunity to use Italy's great produce on your own?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:29 AM

If you like "locals" types of food markets then I can highly recommend the market in Testacchio in Rome. We were the only tourists walking around when we were there in March. A couple of blocks away is a wonderful store called Volpetti which sells all kinds of meats and cheese and other prepared foods.
I have pictures on my website:
http://www.wired2theworld.com
Go to the "Rome 03/08" report and then to Friday for those specific pics.