Notices

Food shopping in Sanliurfa

Mar 4th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Food shopping in Sanliurfa

Sanliurfa is my last stop, before being in Istanbul for a couple of hours and then heading back to India. So what are the things I should buy from Urfa? I would be buying baklava from Gaziantep, so thats done. What about Turkish delight? Should I buy it from the airport of from Urfa?
And which spices/herbs/sauces/cheese/grains/dried stuff are unique to middle east that I could get in Urfa? I am from India,so there's no dearth of cloves,cinnamon and all.
Mar 4th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Get the dark purple pepper flakes from Urfa, called "ISOT". Very special to the area.

From a spice merchant site :

"This rich pepper flake from Turkey has an earthy, smoky edge that hints at chocolate and tobacco alongside a mild heat giving it a well rounded, complex flavor. Similar to Aleppo Pepper in terms of heat level (and geography...the town of Urfa is only one mountain range away), it also has a wide range of uses and will enhance most any dish. Urfa Biber can be used extensively in a variety of savory dishes. Try it in sweet ones, too."

Buy the Turkish delight from the airport (possibly Divan brand if Haci Bekir is not available)

Do not go to a kebap restaurant in Urfa unless you are willing to eat only salads and fresh greens.

Try the "Gavurdag Salad" especially in Gaziantep but also in Urfa.

The ever present lentil soup may yet save you again: "Mercimek Corbasi"

"Kuru Fasulye, Etsiz", Great Northern White Beans, is another major staple, everywhere in Anatolia, usually eaten with Pilav

Other possibilities are,
- Kisir
- Ezme
- Zeytinyagli dolma

There are many cheap souvenir shops near the prophet Abraham's lake. A typical regional male head covering calld Posu (Poashoo) is like the Arabic kefiyye but is worn without a round wooden circle. Get the shopkeeper to show you how to tie it.
Mar 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

That's some great advice!!and I was looking for the name for Gavurdag Salad, the walnut-pomegranate molasses one, thanks!!

Search this Thread