Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Food shopping in Bellagio Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/food-shopping-in-bellagio-italy-825017/)

rolohof_duvall Feb 4th, 2010 02:07 PM

Food shopping in Bellagio Italy

Good Day Fodorites,

I am planning my Sept 2010 trip to Bellagio, Lake Como. I have reservations at Il Borgo Appts., and plan to cook at least some meals in the appt. Staying for 3 nights. Does anyone have experiance and/or recommendations for food shoping in Bellagio. I have "googled" for any list of alimentari type stores but with limited luck.

Thanks and Happy Travels

Weadles Feb 4th, 2010 03:15 PM

When we visited a few years ago, there were many small grocery type stores on upper level of town, close to the Hotel Belvedere.

rbnwdln Feb 4th, 2010 03:33 PM

There is a small grocery behind La Limonera apartments. Basically everything you need to put together a meal.

Peteralan Feb 5th, 2010 11:13 PM

Yes we did all our shopping at that alimentari near La Limonera where we stayed.

Echnaton Feb 6th, 2010 07:52 AM

I don't know whether it is the same store that was mentioned by the other posters.

It is located near the church: you go in Western direction from the church and then the first or second lane left. A small delicatessen-type store with a good selection of cheese, salame, bread, wine and a few basic food items. Should be enough to survive for a few days.

Cooking is a good idea, since most restaurants in Bellagio are grossly overpriced tourist traps which offer poor quality.

alihutch Feb 6th, 2010 07:55 AM

There is a wee supermarket, but I can't remember what it's called...

HappyTrvlr Feb 6th, 2010 08:21 AM

There are small makets also selling vegetables and fruit,a salumeria-meat, sauage, and bakery near La Limonera on the upper road through town.
There is a large supermarket outside of town; we walked to it.

rolohof_duvall Feb 8th, 2010 06:46 AM

Thank You All,

I knew I could count on the Forod Nation, to quide me.

Safe, Fun and interesting travels to all.

Rolo

tuscanlifeedit Feb 8th, 2010 06:58 AM

Isn't there a morning market, one day, anyway, up near the church? Also a fantastic bakery (won't help with cooking, though) on the upper road.

Big_Red Feb 8th, 2010 07:12 AM

In Bellagio, you hav ethe two alimentari/mini-markets metioned above. There is a supermarket ('Pelican') in Menaggio. There are also multiple specialty shops in Menaggio.

skye5 Feb 8th, 2010 12:55 PM

I was horrified to read that most restaurants in Bellagio are grossly overpriced tourist traps with poor quality food. Can anyone recommend a few good restaurants where we might enjoy dining?

HappyTrvlr Feb 8th, 2010 02:06 PM

La Barchetta is excellent, La Punta is more casual at the end of the point,, and A La Darsena nearby in Loppia is worth a visit.

Jean Feb 8th, 2010 02:33 PM

We've enjoyed Bilacus on several occasions and on one rainy evening had a lovely dinner in the Hotel Florence which was more expensive but not overpriced IMO. Bilacus has a lovely outdoor terrace.

There are a couple of nice restaurants in Varenna, too,