Food Poisoning in Paris

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:04 AM
  #21  
NobodyImportant
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Its probably true that some people eat richer food while on holiday and this upsets their digestive systems, especially when considering you described a "very upscale establishment".
 
Old May 17th, 2002, 07:05 AM
  #22  
jenviolin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Anyone who immediately blames food poisoning on raw seafood is just being shellfish.
 
Old May 17th, 2002, 07:24 AM
  #23  
David
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
From the CDC web site www.cdc.org:

Foodbourne illness is "Estimated to cause 76 million illnesses, 325,000 hospitalizations, and 5,200 deaths in the United States each year."

Another interesting article I read came from a medical journal. In a study it was found that people who drank wine or hard liquor with raw shellfish had a much lower incidence of food poisoning. Beer didn't work, typically it doesn't have enough alcohol to kill the germs.

I've also read that 70% of food poisoning cases are caused by mishandled food. An example of this would be moving raw chicken and having the juice accidentally drip over a whole baked pie. Only one or two pieces might be infected. This makes it almost impossible to play the "who ate what and got sick" game.
 
Old May 17th, 2002, 07:26 AM
  #24  
jenviolin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
So don't even think about eating raw chicken if it's moving!
 
Old May 17th, 2002, 07:37 AM
  #25  
kate
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
LOL jenviolin, now everyone at work knows I'm larking about on the web, after my choking on your shellfish joke. Happy Friday
 
Old May 17th, 2002, 08:11 AM
  #26  
Therese
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Food poisoning is common, and generally under-reported (so the CDC's numbers are likely low).

Your symptoms can begin as soon as 6 hours after the meal (this type is toxin-mediated, with the bacteria, usually Staph aureus in this case, having elaborated the toxin while having sat at the wrong temperature for a while). This type typically resolves within 24 hours, as soon as the toxin has left your system. The bacteria do not "infect" you.

Some cases are the result of your actually getting infected, and these can be the result of bacteria (Salmonella), viruses (hepatitis A, Norwalk-like caliciviridae), or protozoans.

I've gotten food poisoning twice in Europe, once a Basque place in Paris (probably Staph aureus toxin-mediated), and once in Munich (either Salmonella or Cyclospora, though we were never able to identify the organism). The latter episode lasted for weeks and I lost about 15 pounds.

I've also gotten food poisoning numerous times in the U.S., usually toxin-mediated (rapid onset, very very ill, resolved quickly).
 
Old May 17th, 2002, 11:38 AM
  #27  
Marie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I too wondered about the number of Paris trip reports on Fodors involving food poisoning. I didn't get food poisoning in Italy, but I can tell you I will never eat gnocchi again. While it tastes delicious, it takes days to digest!
 
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mike_b12
Europe
12
Aug 29th, 2007 06:33 PM
chelleybelle
Europe
12
Jul 21st, 2007 03:05 PM
Aquaart
Europe
51
May 14th, 2007 03:50 PM
Heavens
Europe
30
Apr 6th, 2006 06:07 AM
robjame
Europe
33
Mar 15th, 2006 05:13 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:27 AM.