Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Europe (
-   -   Food Poisoning in Paris (

NobodyImportant May 17th, 2002 07:04 AM

Its probably true that some people eat richer food while on holiday and this upsets their digestive systems, especially when considering you described a "very upscale establishment".

jenviolin May 17th, 2002 07:05 AM

Anyone who immediately blames food poisoning on raw seafood is just being shellfish.

David May 17th, 2002 07:24 AM

From the CDC web site<BR><BR>Foodbourne illness is "Estimated to cause 76 million illnesses, 325,000 hospitalizations, and 5,200 deaths in the United States each year."<BR><BR>Another interesting article I read came from a medical journal. In a study it was found that people who drank wine or hard liquor with raw shellfish had a much lower incidence of food poisoning. Beer didn't work, typically it doesn't have enough alcohol to kill the germs.<BR><BR>I've also read that 70% of food poisoning cases are caused by mishandled food. An example of this would be moving raw chicken and having the juice accidentally drip over a whole baked pie. Only one or two pieces might be infected. This makes it almost impossible to play the "who ate what and got sick" game.

jenviolin May 17th, 2002 07:26 AM

So don't even think about eating raw chicken if it's moving!

kate May 17th, 2002 07:37 AM

LOL jenviolin, now everyone at work knows I'm larking about on the web, after my choking on your shellfish joke. Happy Friday

Therese May 17th, 2002 08:11 AM

Food poisoning is common, and generally under-reported (so the CDC's numbers are likely low).<BR><BR>Your symptoms can begin as soon as 6 hours after the meal (this type is toxin-mediated, with the bacteria, usually Staph aureus in this case, having elaborated the toxin while having sat at the wrong temperature for a while). This type typically resolves within 24 hours, as soon as the toxin has left your system. The bacteria do not "infect" you.<BR><BR>Some cases are the result of your actually getting infected, and these can be the result of bacteria (Salmonella), viruses (hepatitis A, Norwalk-like caliciviridae), or protozoans.<BR><BR>I've gotten food poisoning twice in Europe, once a Basque place in Paris (probably Staph aureus toxin-mediated), and once in Munich (either Salmonella or Cyclospora, though we were never able to identify the organism). The latter episode lasted for weeks and I lost about 15 pounds. <BR><BR>I've also gotten food poisoning numerous times in the U.S., usually toxin-mediated (rapid onset, very very ill, resolved quickly).

Marie May 17th, 2002 11:38 AM

I too wondered about the number of Paris trip reports on Fodors involving food poisoning. I didn't get food poisoning in Italy, but I can tell you I will never eat gnocchi again. While it tastes delicious, it takes days to digest!

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:42 PM.