Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Food Poisoning in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/food-poisoning-in-paris-220065/)

robyn May 13th, 2002 04:16 PM

Food Poisoning in Paris
 
There is now another trip report posted by someone recently returned from Paris. This is the 3rd or 4th mention of someone having had food poisoning while there. As i recall the first post I read about getting really sick from food over there happened at a very "upscale" establishment "L'epi D'Aupin. I was wondering if anyone else had any serious problems over there. Do you think it's just the different "richer" food or "bad" food? <BR>Concerned

pascal May 13th, 2002 04:24 PM

.......or could it be the unpasteurized cheeses? <BR><BR>No....probably just a fleck of dog poop in the sauce....<BR><BR>bon appetite<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Please May 13th, 2002 04:34 PM

I'm sure if you go to a French website you'll find as many of them complaining about food poisoning in NY, London, or Washington. <BR><BR>Given the number of tourists, do you really think 3 or 4 people is a significant number? <BR><BR>People do get food poisoning. It happens everywhere, not just to tourists.

xxx May 13th, 2002 04:39 PM

Maybe it's the mousses, mayonnaise, cream sauces.

.......... May 13th, 2002 04:43 PM

or the oysters, speaking from personal experience!

Ray May 13th, 2002 04:54 PM

What generally is called "food poisoning" is not caused by rich or different foods but by nasty bacteria.<BR><BR>You could ingest these at home or on vacation and become ill. <BR><BR>The main things you can do to avoid this include:<BR><BR>- wash your hands<BR>- eat in clean establishments<BR>- wash all raw food thouroughly<BR>- don't eat raw or undercooked meat<BR>- watch out particularly for shellfish,<BR> eggs, lettuce, chicken, cheese<BR><BR>At least that's what I do.

Whiners May 13th, 2002 05:35 PM

Once we met a couple who complained about every restaurnt we liked. She called it food poisoning, and he said things weren't fresh. Finally we figured out they were hte kind who were never happy. It happens. People get upset stomachs and various traveler's sicknesses, but only some of us call it food poisoning every single time we have an unpleasant reaction to food.

x May 13th, 2002 07:22 PM

I just got food poisoning from a local pizzeria. Maybe no one should come to DC.

topping May 16th, 2002 12:08 PM

really !

MaryC May 16th, 2002 12:28 PM

What's funny is people generally think it's the last restaurant they ate at that gave the food poisoning. I've heard that food poisoning takes about 30 - 36 hours to develop and that when you get sick you should count back those 30 - 36 hours to figure out where you really got it.<BR><BR>Any physicians want to confirm or deny this? I would be interested in knowing, too.

David May 16th, 2002 12:43 PM

"After they (organisms) are swallowed, there is a delay, called the incubation period, before the symptoms of illness begin. This delay may range from hours to days, depending on the organism, and on how many of them were swallowed." <BR><BR>The CDC has a whole section devoted to foodborne illnesses:<BR><BR>http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...tm#happensbody

Rex May 16th, 2002 12:49 PM

Oh shoot - - another one! Now surely this one involves Heinz catsup!<BR><BR>:)<BR>

MaryC May 16th, 2002 01:01 PM

Thanks, David! <BR>I guess a hospital would have to test you to determine which bacteria it was and I guess that's unlikely to happen?

JOdy May 16th, 2002 02:10 PM

I'll never again eat shellfish on a sunday! And this was at a patricia well's recommended resto.! But even then it wasn't nealy as bad as the food poisoning that several of us got from egg rolls..we were the only ones out of a group that had them all the rest of the menu was the same for all.. in Ft Lauderdale!

Kate May 16th, 2002 02:41 PM

Oh poor Jody-nothing like being away from home and poisoned!<BR> I got so sick in Bermuda once, that I had to come back to NY to my own doctor and hospital:(~<BR>It was a good resto and had a good reputation, something was just wrong with my dish(the chicken,I think).<BR>My son got really sick on one trip, to an island, and we thought it was the food.After we got home, he got sick again,after taking him to his doctor-we found that he was allergic to a food! So we could not really blame the resto~<BR>Kate

peter May 16th, 2002 04:15 PM

people to frequently blame evry upset stomach or cramps or diarrhea on food poisoning. that frrequently is not the case but a reaction to different food, spicier than normal, richer than normal. even diffferent water will give gastric distress to many. tru foood poisoning is caused predominently by 3 different types of bacteria with incubation period s of from as little as 10-12 hours to 36 hopurs osr so. that will also depend on tdhe strength and quantity of toxin in the food ans the individual susectability and a raft of other host vrs disease factors. yes it does occur but probably to much less extent that people tdhing as their selfdiagnosis is frequently incorrect

farmer May 16th, 2002 05:46 PM

peter,<BR>I hope you know more about food poisoning than you do about typing/spelling.

Graziella May 16th, 2002 05:49 PM

What is this? .....<BR><BR>enjoy your trip....

Colleen May 17th, 2002 06:54 AM

I have traveled a bit in Asia and Mexico. There are lots of bacteria and sometimes you just can't control what you eat (whether things are washed before cooking, or whatever). I take either acidopholous (sp) or PB8 pills during the entire trip to control the "harmful" bacteria. So far. So good. Except for that night in Mexico that I had one too many rum and cokes and spent the following day hugging the toilet. Still, can't blame the food for that one!

Lynn May 17th, 2002 07:00 AM

My husband got sick from the cream filling in a pastry purchased in Salzburg. He was bedridden for two days, could eat nothing and barely could sip a little Sprite - a real quick weight loss plan, needless to say!<BR><BR>How long it takes to become ill from tainted food, and how long the illness lasts depend on which bacteria OR TOXIN was ingested.

NobodyImportant May 17th, 2002 07:04 AM

Its probably true that some people eat richer food while on holiday and this upsets their digestive systems, especially when considering you described a "very upscale establishment".

jenviolin May 17th, 2002 07:05 AM

Anyone who immediately blames food poisoning on raw seafood is just being shellfish.

David May 17th, 2002 07:24 AM

From the CDC web site www.cdc.org:<BR><BR>Foodbourne illness is "Estimated to cause 76 million illnesses, 325,000 hospitalizations, and 5,200 deaths in the United States each year."<BR><BR>Another interesting article I read came from a medical journal. In a study it was found that people who drank wine or hard liquor with raw shellfish had a much lower incidence of food poisoning. Beer didn't work, typically it doesn't have enough alcohol to kill the germs.<BR><BR>I've also read that 70% of food poisoning cases are caused by mishandled food. An example of this would be moving raw chicken and having the juice accidentally drip over a whole baked pie. Only one or two pieces might be infected. This makes it almost impossible to play the "who ate what and got sick" game.

jenviolin May 17th, 2002 07:26 AM

So don't even think about eating raw chicken if it's moving!

kate May 17th, 2002 07:37 AM

LOL jenviolin, now everyone at work knows I'm larking about on the web, after my choking on your shellfish joke. Happy Friday

Therese May 17th, 2002 08:11 AM

Food poisoning is common, and generally under-reported (so the CDC's numbers are likely low).<BR><BR>Your symptoms can begin as soon as 6 hours after the meal (this type is toxin-mediated, with the bacteria, usually Staph aureus in this case, having elaborated the toxin while having sat at the wrong temperature for a while). This type typically resolves within 24 hours, as soon as the toxin has left your system. The bacteria do not "infect" you.<BR><BR>Some cases are the result of your actually getting infected, and these can be the result of bacteria (Salmonella), viruses (hepatitis A, Norwalk-like caliciviridae), or protozoans.<BR><BR>I've gotten food poisoning twice in Europe, once a Basque place in Paris (probably Staph aureus toxin-mediated), and once in Munich (either Salmonella or Cyclospora, though we were never able to identify the organism). The latter episode lasted for weeks and I lost about 15 pounds. <BR><BR>I've also gotten food poisoning numerous times in the U.S., usually toxin-mediated (rapid onset, very very ill, resolved quickly).

Marie May 17th, 2002 11:38 AM

I too wondered about the number of Paris trip reports on Fodors involving food poisoning. I didn't get food poisoning in Italy, but I can tell you I will never eat gnocchi again. While it tastes delicious, it takes days to digest!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:27 PM.