Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Food in Sevilla (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/food-in-sevilla-149383/)

kate Jan 28th, 2002 02:55 AM

Food in Sevilla

Hi everyone, I've tried doing a search here for restaurant and tapas bar recommendations but I can't find anything.<BR><BR>I'll be in Sevilla at Easter and would be very grateful for some foodie recommendations. My likes and price range is diverse, I'd like some thoughts on good tapas bars as well as some more upscale recommendations for the evenings.<BR>Also, anywhere new and hip I should look out for?<BR><BR>Thanks everyone

olga Jan 28th, 2002 03:04 AM

Dear Kate,<BR>here are some ideas:<BR><BR>-Tapas: Giralda and Las Teresas in <BR> Barrio Santa Cruz. These are 2 staples,<BR> I like Giralda for the variety and size of their tapas, they are like mini-meals. Try their "cazuela Tip Pepe", a bowl of fish and seafood stew in sherry sauce.Delicious!<BR><BR>-Restaurants: for a classic, romantic dinner, La Albahaca or Ega&ntilde;a Oriza, both in historic buildings, beautiful settings and very expensive for Seville standards(around $50 a piece).<BR> For something more authentic, Becerrita<BR>(great typical andalusian food with a flair, out of the beaten path, locals only place) and Enrique Becerra (more on the tourist area, but still great, and their little bar is also excellent for tapas).<BR> Hip: Poncio, in Triana. Avantgarde and classic at the same time, Great quality.<BR><BR>For more options, look at www.sol.com<BR><BR>Yum! <BR>

kate Jan 28th, 2002 03:16 AM

Thanks Olga, that's very helpful. Any other thoughts anyone?

Pedro Jan 28th, 2002 04:09 AM

Some more suggestions ( the only problem can be that they might not speak English ):<BR><BR>For tapas:<BR><BR>Bar Estrella ( good tapas in the city centre, not far from Giralda )<BR><BR>Bar Eslava ( in San Lorenzo area )<BR><BR>Bar Casablanca and La Taberna del Alabardero ( both in Zaragoza street, one block from Plaza Nueva )<BR><BR>Bodeguita Romero ( the best "montaditos de pring&aacute;" in town )<BR><BR>Sierra Mayor, close to the above mentioned, right by Plaza Nueva.<BR><BR>To dine out casually, good regional food at Los Cuevas (Los Remedios headquarter) or Taberna Sol y Sombra (decorated with old wallpapers of bullfighting , excellent "solomillo al ajo" and "revueltos" ).<BR><BR>More formal :<BR><BR>Casa Robles, La Taberna del Alabardero or Sabina ( a new restaurant well decorated. Very attractive place just by El Postigo Arch ).<BR>

kate Jan 28th, 2002 04:53 AM

That's great Pedro, thanks. I'm not too worried about the language issue, I'd rather go to places that the locals rate, and tackling another language is half the fun - even though I'm English and therefore useless at languages. I just hope they'll be patient with me!

Maribel Jan 28th, 2002 02:57 PM

Hi Kate,<BR>I'd just like to enthusiastically second Olga and Pedro 's suggestions of several of our own favorites, like Becerrita, Bodeguita Romero, Casa Robles, Taberna del Alabardero, Egana Oriza, (Basque cuisine here-it's attached to the walls of the Alcazar gardens- an elegant dinner in a beautiful solarium type setting), Casablanca, (for the little earthenware dishes of great tapas you eat standing at the pint-size bar), plus I'd like to add one in the Triana quarter on Calle Betis #6 (the other side of the Gualdalquivir River), the "Albariza" with chalk white walls and sherry casks as tables, (Poncio, Egana Oriza, Meson de la Infanta near the bullring on Calle Dos de Mayo, Barbiana and Albariza were featured last Jan. in a Choice Tables article in the NY Times Travel Section) and another bar in the heart of the Barrio Santa Cruz on the Plaza de los Venerables, "Casa Roman", which our Seville friend swears serves the best jamon Jabugo in the city (but there are so many great places for jamon Jabugo) and finally, also in the Santa Cruz quarter, the "Bar Modesto" on Cano y Cueto #5 near the Murillo Gardens for impeccable fried fish. Modesto is near the Hotel Casas de la Juderia and has an outdoor terrace that's always packed with locals. Try their "coquinas", small calms steamed in garlic and wine sauce. You'll lap up the sauce. Lots of fun, well-priced and very popular with families.<BR>Happy dining!

Laura Jan 28th, 2002 04:21 PM

www.andulusia.com<BR><BR>should help a bit.